Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwifekim

Kitchen is DONE!

midwifekim
13 years ago

I spent hours, mostly late nights, scouring this forum for ideas, mistakes, loves. So many decisions came from these helpful posts. Thank you.

We did a total remodel of a 1951 home in Oakland, CA. Construction alone took one year. We wanted to be respectful to the era of the home, current to the times, and not so trendy that we would tire of the work.

We wanted to leave as small a footprint as possible- so we went green where we could. We also tried to keep the costs down. We bought all of our appliances as low as possible (ebay, floor model, etc). We did many things ourselves (design, installing drawer pulls, picking up appliances from stores & freight drops).

The backsplash is still under consideration. The current idea is 5" square white/ off white glass tiles from Oceanside (in a running bond).

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/8n3lfSw5Fi45flWOh1u--w?feat=directlink

Details:

Custom cabinets. Natural cherry lowers and painted MDF on top. Plywood boxes.

IKEA drawer pulls.

ECO counters (a Silestone green/ recycled line).

Kohler smart divide cast iron sink.

Bosch oven.

Sharp microwave drawer.

Liebherr 30" fridge.

Thermador 5 burner cooktop.

Windster hood.

Hansgrohe faucet.

Everpure water filter.

Fisher&Paykel dishwasher drawers.

U-Line 15" wine fridge (on window end of island)

Tech KableLite system.

Florescent under cabinet bars and bi-pin cans.

4" white oak floors, finished in Rubio Monocoat oil finish (no VOC)

Sierra Pacific windows in vertical grain Douglas Fir (FSC).

Thanks again to this lovely forum!

Comments (40)

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Kim, yours is a kitchen I've been waiting to see. It is beautiful! as is the whole space. Congratulations on a labour of love. Every choice looks perfect.

We need more photos!

{{!gwi}}

Happy cooking,
    Eliz

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

I love it -- crisp, clean and modern. But we definitely need to see more photos! It looks like you have a large skylight and suspended the pendants from it -- could I see a better shot of that, and how they are powered?

• ncamy
    13 years ago

Looks nice! Will you give me some more details about the Rubio Monocoat? Awhile back I had asked a lot of questions on another forum about this product, but the only responses I got were from the same person (who registered the day I asked my questions!) So I've been dying to hear from a real consumer of the product. What did/do you think about the appearance? durability? application process? and cost, relative to other products? Thanks.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Have gone through all the photos in Picasa album. Impressive! Light, airy, integrated design and integrated with the adjacent spaces, useful, classy, and what an ambitious set of structural changes you have made. That little one will grow up in a place that sets an aesthetic standard that will affect adult decisions later on. And the green ideal is laudable.

• zeebee
    13 years ago

Lovely kitchen. It's modern and sleek yet still totally in character with the overall aesthetic of the house. Nice job!

• doraville
    13 years ago

Very nice. I also love the bench with storage off the stairs. Great idea.

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi midwife...

I found the 10 shots of your kitchen and I think it looks great. I like that you kept it in the era of your home, and that you are sensitive to the environment. That is really special in my opinon! Love your counter!

KA:)

• chinchette
    13 years ago

I LOVE what you've done with the kitchen as well as the bathrooms!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think it looks sleek and neat ;) The color wood on your lowers is quite lovely. I like how you have the mix of finishes to keep it cool yet warm. You and Sochi are making me appreciate contemporary more and more. I am trying for a vintage contemporary in our kitchen with slab front doors and hope it comes out as nice as yours has (while looking older).

I'd love to hear more about the RM for the floors. Can you go darker with it? I'd like to darken my floors a little when we re-do the surfaces.

Add me as another vote to see more about your ceiling as well.

As someone who is trying to go as green as possible, I'd love to also hear more details about your choices.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

You have crafted a lovely, livable, timeless incarnation of "modern." Sitting in the nook by those huge windows is going to be heavenly. Although I suspect it felt like a long year, the public space alone was more than worth waiting for.

• honeychurch
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your most excellent remodel! How do you like your countertop? I was interested in ECO waaaay back when (having had and liked my Silestone in a previous home) before it was even in stores--loved that it incorporated recycled materials!

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago

Very nice! Did you buy your table new? If so, where?

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

Congratulations - you renovations are absolutely lovely! I never saw anything like it in the 50's! You have so much light, counter space and beautiful surfaces to work with...WOW!. Also love the the painted uppers and the stained lower cabinets.

• pip
    13 years ago

I love the look you've achieved. The light in your home is beautiful.

• wi-sailorgirl
    13 years ago

OK ... um WOW!

That is awesome! I'd love to live in that space.

And nothing against cherry, but can I just say that yours is the first kitchen in which I've really LOVED cherry?

Just love this kitchen.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

So beautiful! (And hello from another Oaklander! :) Are the circles on the ceiling solatubes or lights/speakers of some sort? Also curious to hear how you like the ECO---we've been looking at that on and off as well.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

In real life the bulbs in your tech lights would be brighter if the transformer was put behind the plate (up high), not "remote". Low voltage lighting systems lose power as the low voltage current travels down the wire, so the closer the transformer the more power the lamps get which corresponds to what they were designed to receive. Better.

Other than that, there is nothing I would change. Congratulations!

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    Click the pic for more...

• midwifekim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all of your praise. I can't believe I'm one of the people with a finished kitchen. I thought this day would never come!

I will try to answer your questions...

Skylight/ kable light: I added more pics. The cables span the space and pendants hang from the cables. There is a bit of sag, as we chose two heavier (relatively speaking) glass globes. It is a 12v system with the remote transformer which is TOO bright, actually. We haven't installed the dimmer yet.

FLOOR with Rubio Monocoat: I added more floor pics to picassa. It was $300 for enough oil to cover 1200sqft and our wood windows (we have cork downstairs- it doesn't need oil). Our flooring guy covered it on one day. Zero odor- we slept in the house that night. Walked on it 3 days later. That's it. We've been in for 3 months. The floor never looks shiny-new, nor does it look bad. It just looks like smooth wood. Some pale lines where furniture without pads moved. We love it. It comes in darker colors. We went with natural.

COUNTER:
    It is made from 75% recycled commercial porcelain and mirrors, bound with corn resin. We got one red wine ring, but it came out with bon ami and no scratching. Very happy.

"GREEN" choices: Since it was a whole house remodel, we had many places to go green. We have a hybrid water heater (tankless with a mini reserve). We have 100 sqfr of cork floor. We used all no VOC paint (Freshaire in Distant Star eggshell from HD). Decks in composite material. FSC wood windows. 98% efficient 2 zone furnace. Plywood cabinets. Direct vent gas fireplace. Energy star appliances. All florescent bulbs (whole house) except the dining room chandelier and the 2 halogen pendants. We used every piece of cardboard packing to sheet mulch our front and back yards (a "lasagna" of cardboard, chicken manure, and mulch which enriches the soil and kills weeds.)

@ artemis: ceiling has speakers, and a few small can lights.

@ numbers junkie: the table is a hand me down from my SIL, and she got it at a thrift store! IKEA chairs surround it.

Thanks again!
    Kim

@ wi-sailergirl:I felt the same way about cherry, until I saw the raw wood color and variations possible. Our cabinetmaker picked some great sections that have a more modern vibe- but there are others that are real earthy too.

@elizpiz: Your presence on this forum- and your amazing kitchen were inspiring to me. Thank you.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Nice, clean and wonderful look in your whole space. Sunny and bright, too. I envy your fireplace view. :-) Enjoy, enjoy!!!

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

You have given me new hope for my 1980's slab-front white cabinets (which are still in good condition). :) Thanks for posting, your kitchen is beautiful!

• sochi
    13 years ago

Great job midwifekim, what a lovely space. You've done a wonderful job. I love the sky lights and the cherry cabinets are gorgeous. I'm really interested in your non-VOC oil based finished. We went with a water-based finish, which has had its problems. Aside from environmental/smell issues, we went with water so it wouldn't 'yellow' our light birch floors. I'll have to do some research on Monocoat.

Good luck with your backsplash!

• midwifekim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@sochi: We chose white oak for its brown, rather than yellow tones (in many other woods). RM really brought out the richness in the wood (we have a #1 common grade for the character). I haven't noticed any yellowing. We will be using the same oil on all of our birch doors- I'll let you know if we have any issues.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the further info! I bet you helped a lot of people here ;)

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful!! So light & airy, and I'm in lust for that big island and all that countertop! Your new kitchen looks like it absolutely belongs in your home. Enjoy!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I could never have envisioned your "before" turning into that gorgeous space! What a vision you had. It's simply beautiful. Wow!

One question, is that soap dispenser a stand-on-the-counter-on-its-own type? It's not built-in, is it?

Enjoy your beautiful and eco-friendly space!

• midwifekim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Breezygirl- the soap dispenser is a $20 topper for the air gap. we got it at Home depot. It doesn't hold much soap, so we fill it once a week.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info on the dispenser. Does it just sit on top of the air gap thingy that pokes up? Is it meant for that? Sorry for the non-technical description. A plumber told me the other day about I need that stupid air gap, and I'm looking for ways around it. I don't want ANOTHER thing around my sink besides the single-lever, pulldown faucet and soap dispenser. And I don't really understand the point of them anyway. TIA!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Fantastic space with a nice mix of materials.
    Your cabinet maker did a great job of matching the horizontal wood grain. I love the clean contemporary look.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I love it....and I LOVE MIDWIVES!!

• hydrangea_luvr
    13 years ago

I've got to agree with sabjimata. I think the kitchen is gorgoues, and I think midwives rock!

• midwifekim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The dispenser sits on top of the actual air gap. It's just a tall version (that holds soap/ had a pump) of the little cap you need to put on anyway (to make it look like other than a plastic cap).

Thanks for the cheers for midwives. I love my job!

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wonderful kitchen. Love the sky lights, the horizontal wood on the island the the dining room chandelier. Enjoy.

• contemporganic
    13 years ago

Would it be possible to get a couple photos of your countertop at different angles and some close ups? It looks very white from these photos but when I got a sample home it looked more grey than white? Your thoughts on the color?

• midwifekim
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The counter is definitely white- but favors cool rather than warm, overall. There are tiny warm brownish flecks, but they are offset by the bits of mirror (which is a cool color, I think.

Reflecting a bit of blue from the skylights above:
    {{!gwi}}From New Kitchen

Next to the kohler basic white sink:
    {{!gwi}}From New Kitchen

Against white walls and cabinets:
    {{!gwi}}From New Kitchen

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

Amazing space. I love the cabinets with the different uppers and lowers and I love that your home fits the architecture. Timeless! And those windows!!!

• timber.j
    13 years ago

Beautiful! You did a fabulous job!

We used Rubio Monocoat on our floor, too, but did chocolate (I think that was the color) on hand-scraped walnut. It's been about two years, in a house full of kids, and I love how well it is performing. We haven't touched it up at all, but when we finish our remodel and get the rest of the wood floors in, the kitchen may get a refresh. I was pregnant when we did the floors and searched to find something with no VOC's.

Your bathroom pics are great, too. I love the colorful tiles in your kids bathroom-who are they made by? I want to do something bright and cheerful in our laundryroom.

I like midwives, too-I found a wonderful midwife for the birth of my last baby. :)

• shermp
    13 years ago

Amazing! I am in the bay area and loved your stairs, can you recommend the company that did your railing?

Enjoy!

Thank you.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

That is so sleek and sophisticated and just danged cool!

Love how clean and polished, yet breezy it is!

Great space! Enjoy!

• kaysd
    13 years ago

I love that your kitchen feels sleek and contemporary, and yet right for the period of the house. I'm really loving those natural cherry lowers with the horizontal grain. The skylights are great too. The whole space just feels so fresh and open.

Thanks for posting pictures of your stair railings. I was thinking of doing railings like that for our deck, and now I have pictures to show the contractor.