Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxa44

Farmhouse Kitchen

jxa44
9 years ago

Hello all,

I, like numerous others, am designing a white kitchen. This is my second kitchen design. My first kitchen was all custom cabinets -- but that was 15 years ago. Since then, there have been vast improvements in off the shelf cabinet designs.

So I'm writing to ask if you can make recommendations for semi-custom or off-the-shelf cabinets that are similar to the ones in the attached picture.

Thanx in advance.

joyce

Comments (37)

• emma
    9 years ago

Sorry I can't, but wanted to say I love that picture. Very nice, the windows really make me very envious of that home.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

IN Semi Custom-Showplace, Shiloh, Medallion are semi that can all do insets- I know SWP can do any color and does distressing, I believe the others can as well-all will have a similar color.

There is enough going on in that kitchen that it would be worth looking a step up from those (still semi custom by my standards) and comparing prices-Crystal, Dynasty/Omega, Mountaineer (limited distribution range), Bishop, Mouser. There are others, just depends on what is available where you are.

• User
    9 years ago

What's your budget?

• Liz
    9 years ago

The cabinets in your picture are inset, which is $$$$. For a similar but not identical look (and less expense) you could go with a frameless cabinet and add special molding around the toe kick. The hardware will be easy to find, and I would think a distressed finish would be widely available.

B/c you asked for semi-custom or off the shelf, I assume your budget is limited. Conestoga may be a good option. Lots of customization available, and they even have an inset option. The trade off is that they require on-site assembly.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First thanx to all who replied --

jakuvall: Would you please explain what you mean by "IN Semi Custom-Showplace, Shiloh, Medallion" and/or provide a link. Also I am in Astoria, OR.

hollyspings: No budget set at this time.

elizardbethday: As you can tell from my message, I'm just getting started on my research so don't have the lingo down yet. Would you please explain what you mean by "frameless cabinet". Also, would you provide a link for Conestoga. On- site assembly is no problem for us :)

Thanx again,

joyce

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

P.S to Elizardbeth Day

Yep, I know how costly inset cabinets can be. Had my first kitchen cabinets custom designed with inset cabinets. They're pretty, but very, very pricey!

joyce

• User
    9 years ago

Everyone has a budget. And that determines which cabinet lines you look at. No point wasting your time, or any KD's time.

200K for cabinets? Look at Christopher Peacock.
    100K? Crown Point, Omega, and other fully customizable lines. Local custom with a faux finisher on staff.
    50K? Upper end semi custom lines like Dynasty, Showplace, but you may not be able to get it all. All of that distressing and combined cabinets shown comes at a cost.
    Less than 50K? Not gonna get that look. Several major things would have to give. Distressing. Inset. Combined cabinets.

• Liz
    9 years ago

frameless + full overlay ... this means that the cabinet doors/drawer fronts totally cover the frame (box) of the cabinet. You only see the doors & drawer fronts - you don't see any of the cabinet box. Link below to comparison to inset.

RE: Conestoga cabinets. Conestoga is the manuf; their cabinets are available through several online sellers. Cabinet Joint and Cabinet Authority are two popular options.

Other manufs to consider would be Barker and Scherr's. I know Conestoga offers inset, so they stuck out to me first - I don't know if Barker and Scherr's do. But they, like Conestoga, offer a lot of customization and seem to be good options for folks who want to trade DIY-ish work for a cost savings.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Discussion of inset vs full overlay[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/full-overlay-or-inset-kitchen-cabinets-dsvw-vd~746975)

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Disagree about some of the pricing suggestions- just off the top of my head- what is shown in the picture can be done in my top end (QCCI) for less than 30 and likely closer to 20k. Showplace, Shiloh would be a good 25% less maybe more
    It is rare that once labor and all the parts are added to frameless there is a significant savings over a comparable inset brand, at least it never worked out for me.

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

Since you're in OR, another to consider is DeWils. Their main showroom is on Fourth Plain in Vancouver but they also have a dealer in Astoria (linked below). They're semi-custom (to 1/4" or 1/8", can't recall anymore) and offer inset cab style. The quality seemed very good, plywood construction, dovetail drawers, full extension, and Blum self-close were standard, IIRC. They have a huge selection of finishes - painted, stained and glazed - and the price is the same regardless of wood choice. We were quoted the same price for quartersawn oak as for flat sawn oak. Quartersawn oak is almost always an upcharge. Painted and glazed cabs are more $$, as if the case with everyone else I talked to.

We strongly considered using them but ended going with a local custom shop that our GC uses, plus we needed more customization than DeWils could accommodate.

GWers with DeWils kitchen cabinets include Cloud Swift, leela4, becktheeng, nomorebluekitchen and a few others. If you search old threads, you'll likely find comments and photos of their kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: DeWils fine cabinetry

• User
    9 years ago

You could probably do Conestoga for that look but ONLY, if there is a local high end decorative artist that you could hire for the finishing. And you give up any hope of a durable factory finish. There's also the issue of designing combined cabinets. Someone has to be able to do that, and do the specifying accurately. Wont be any savings at all if you yourself aren't handy enough to DIY all of that, including assembly.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll have to read over and digest them a bit before I reply.

But I will add that my current custom kitchen is all Crown Point. And yes, we spent a bundle. I spent as much for the cabinets as I did for all of my pro appliances. This time, I want to see how close I can get to the look without spending that kind of money. If I can't get close, then I'll go back to a fully custom kitchen. Hence, no budget at this time.

Hope this helps. Off to research your suggestions.

• jakuvall
    9 years ago

Sorry, I missed your question
    Shiloh, Showplace, Medallion are brands to look into

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you jakuvall :)

joyce

• eam44
    9 years ago

If you have all custom CP inset cabinetry, why are you getting rid of it? Why not pay an artist to paint/distress and order one or two unfitted "hutch-like" pieces? Must you begin anew?

Asking about cabinets without knowing your budget is like heading off on a road trip without knowing how much gas is in the tank. Can you do it? Sure. Will you reach your destination without that info? Impossible to know. That said, if your budget is "less than last time" I can tell you from experience you have tons of options if you can be flexible about the look. The image below is of a white(ish) farmhouse kitchen with inset cabinets, it's a beautiful space, and the cabinetry could cost you 1/10th the price of the boxes in your inspiration image. If you really want them distressed, let your kids throw a party. Better yet, let your neighbor's kids throw a party.

Your inspiration image is lovely. I like the look of professionally distressed cabs in photos, but when I've been in spaces that use them I feel like I'm in a cartoon kitchen. It is an exaggerated look, and having lived in homes that have authentic 100 year old cabinetry I prefer the real thing to the fake. Just make sure to see these cabinets installed on site somewhere first-hand so you know how a whole kitchen filled with them looks. You may change your mind.

Good luck!

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I would skip the distressed-finish part of the cabinet order. It adds to the cost, and can come across as fake rather than "charming olde farmhouse". The distressed look also can be just a skip and a hop to the shabby look after a few years' use.

Love the inspiration photo. Makes me think I should have done apple green cabinets. They are very pretty.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

First a giant thank you to everyone who provided cabinetry suggestions and vendors. That's the kind of information I'm hoping to gather.

To be clear, my query is: Would you name a few cabinet manufacturers that might be able to create a similar (but not identica)l look to the cabinets pictured in my original post? I realize that the cabinets in the image are custom. I want to know if I can create a similar design with semi-custom or off-the-shelf cabinetry.

If it helps some of you to include a $$ budget before you can make a suggestion, just pretend I'm someone's dream client who has no budget. I want hear your opinion of manufacturers that you think will provide me with my best options in semi-custom or off-the-shelf cabinetry. Afterall, I can always go back to CP and have them design me another kitchen. I am very happy with their cabinets. Very happy. At this point, I'm really just trying to find a manufacturer that I like. Then I'll go take a look at the cabinets to determine if I still like them when I actually see them. So I am creating a short list of about six manufacturers and styles.

Here are the things I like about the kitchen in the image I provided:

* The design of the feet on the bottom cabinets,
    * The the finished look of the kitchen -- that they finished off the ends of the cabinets, the crown molding and the bead board, etc.
    * That the cabinets are inset (but I would be willing to go with frame less cabinets as suggested by elizardbethday).

BTW, really solid suggestion elizardbethday -- giant thank you for that tip!

As for the distressed look, that's not part of my design for this kitchen -- in fact, I hadn't noticed it at all until some of you pointed it out.

Cabinet color will be white -- so the painted cabinet color finish on the cabinets in the picture is not what I'm looking for. I think after a couple of years, that green color in that kitchen would start to irritate me and I'd want to re-do it. But I do love the styling of that kitchen.

As you can see, I'm quickly coming up to speed on cabinetry lingo and manufacturers -- seriously, when we first started this conversation I couldn't tell one from the other :D Thank you for your patience and your kind responses to my really, really basic questions.

EAM44, thanx to you for the picture. You're right, it's a lovely kitchen. There are some design elements in it that I may want to incorporate into my new kitchen.

Thank you again to everyone who's helped me. You've all really helped me to better understand my options. But a very special thanks to you Lisa A. for suggesting DeWils in Astoria -- you're a lifesaver! :)

joyce

• User
    9 years ago

Dynasty/Omega.

• C&N
    9 years ago

We were considering going the custom route, but like you have taken notice of the better 'off the shelf options' that are available today and the improved quality. Frankly given our kitchen design/needs custom wasn't really necessary.

It sounds like our tastes are very similar as well.

We are very close to pulling the trigger on Jim Bishop cabinets which offers an inset drawer/door. These cabinets are off the shelf but they do offer some customization on a more limited scale in the event you find you need a special size cabinet for a particular location. I also like the fact that they will do a custom paint color if you cannot find a stock color that you like.

Here is a picture of a kitchen with their cabinets.

This post was edited by cssnms on Wed, Dec 3, 14 at 11:18

• lisa_a
    9 years ago

You're very welcome, Joyce! Good luck with your kitchen remodel!

• Jennifer Franson_Hopper
    9 years ago

Also in white, that is very close to my dream kitchen photo!

I can chime in on my inset cabinet journey...it's been a long one! Started by hoping I would like frameless cabinets enought to offset my love of inset. I just couldn't.

I looked and recevied quotes on inset cabinets from Medallion, Brookhaven and Shiloh. I preferred two custom cabinet makers in my area who's quotes were about the same as these brands. I noticed that both cabinet makers used Conestoga drawers and door and we ended up ordering Conestoga RTA cabinets through Cabinet Joint. I would recommend viewing some of their website videos to see construction and design ideas. The cost savings was HUGE (less than half). I also have an engineer as as DH, so that helps. The time committment, however was also HUGE! We have been only able to work on them over weekends but it has taken us about 4 1/2 months.

Construction on our kitchen starts next month. Can't wait to see it all come together!

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

cssnms, what a pretty kitchen. Thank you for your suggestion. Jim Bishop cabinets are going on our short list :)

jhophop, Conestoga cabinets are at the top of my short list. I'm still a bit confused about who works with you on the kitchen design? Did a Cabinet Joint KD help you nail down your design? Then, after the cabinet configuration was approved, and the cabinets purchased, they delivered un-assembled cabinets to your job site?

Also, another terminology question -- what is "Conestoga RTA"?

My DH and brother are engineers too! And, lucky lady that I am, both are carpenters as well. So it sounds like Conestoga cabinets may be time consuming, but possibly worth the investment of time. I'll watch the videos on their site. You're right, I'm not clear on their construction process yet.

And lastly which cabinet door did you choose for your design?

joyce

• lmgch
    9 years ago

Just a quick point - we were considering Crown Point cabinets. Opted to go full custom, but a note about their pricing - they recently made a policy change that they will no longer have any price difference between their inset versus overlay - the price is the price. the sales guy we were working with said it was to "ease the pricing process."

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanx lmgch for the update.

I absolutely love my Crown Point cabinets. My current kitchen is composed of 100% custom CP cabinets. That said, their choice to make the cost of overly vs. inset cabinets the same price is interesting. Do you know if this means that they dropped their cabinet price across the board?

j.

• lmgch
    9 years ago

jxa, I honestly cannot say if that means they've lowered their prices, as I have no frame of reference for prior pricing. But my guess is no.

• Jennifer Franson_Hopper
    9 years ago

jxa,
    I came up with my own plan/layout but then had a kitchen designer friend over for a glass of wine and to critique/suggest.

We have a little entry way separate from the kitchen and decided to order an upper and lower cabinet from Cabinet Joint (the other vendors for Conestoga Ready to Assemble are Cabinet Authority and Northern Granite and Cabinetry) in order to try it out for a couple of cabinets before committing to a full kitchen.

You are correct, we ordered, they were delivered to our house about 2-3 weeks later and we set up a workshop in the garage.

I will mention that building the cabinet boxes was no big deal but the hinges, drawers and glides have been a long project.

We chose 1/4" beaded inset cabinets in their Albany" door (shaker all wood versus "Stockbridge" which is their MDF door) in Frosty White.

Feel free to email me with ANY questions you have!

• Liz
    9 years ago

"RTA" = ready to assemble. So Conestoga RTA just means ready-to-assemble cabinets from Conestoga. Purchased through Cabinet Joint, Cabinet Authority, or elsewhere.

Glad you're finding our comments helpful! Sounds like you're going to end up with a beautiful kitchen.

PS, as for designing the kitchen... I noticed that Cabinet Joint offers a design service. (But I didn't use it - so I can't comment on it. Although they have been very helpful with all my email questions on my did-it-myself design)

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet joint's design service

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi again all,

I've pretty much put together my short list of vendors and styles for my upper cabinets, but I would like bottom cabinets with a similar detailing as those in my original picture. Other than custom cabinets, can anyone make a suggestion for bottom cabinets with decorative feet?

jhophop, I will certainly contact you privately. I'm currentlycomposing a list of talking points.:)

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you've added decorative cabinet toe kicks to your cabinets, would you share your source please.

thx,

joyce

• User
    9 years ago

Any custom or semi custom manufacturer can do that. Look at your short list. They all should. No problem. I did a custom Omega vanity with all kinds of special details that the homeowner wanted, including a special silhouette for the integrated furniture feet that matched an antique pie safe that she was using for towel storage. What you want is nowhere near as complicated, and you don't need custom for that unless you need a specialty color not offered in a semi-custom line. I could have done it at half the cost in Dynasty if she would have settled for one of the 12 different standard possibilities and a standard non distressed finish.

Even a mid grade semi custom line like Kemper can do an integral arched toe, just not inset. It's nothing special or rare in the cabinet world. It's actually the uppers with the integrated lower shelf that are more challenging to be able to find. Tht's usually done as two separate pieces, not a single piece like that. For it to be combined as a single cabinet like that, you do need a higher grade semi custom or full custom line. You need a line that can "combine" cabinets. Some lines have a higher end partner that can do the couple of custom ones, while allowing you to do the main part of the kitchen in the semi custom version and the two will match perfectly. That's what Dynaty and Omega can do for my customers. If you only need a couple of custom details, there is no point in doing the entire kitchen in the more expensive option.

But first, you really need a local KD who understands a bunch of different lines and the various tradeoffs that you have working with each of them and who actually knows how to specify all of those details correctly. Shop for the KD first, from your short list of manufacturers. Any shop that carries your short list should be abble to give you what you want. You just have to find the right person to work with.

• mdln
    9 years ago

My Shiloh inset cabinets were surprisingly affordable, would not call them $$$$. They also offer some levels of distressing as a free upgrade.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you live_wire_oak for your comments. I totally agree with you -- but a great kitchen designer is hard to find. I have a general idea of what I want my kitchen design to look like now, (and because of the help I've gotten here) I have an idea of a cabinet manufacturers that have the look I'm going for, but I have no idea how to find a really great KD.

Any idea? They don't need to be local -- I worked virtually with Crowne Point -- just good.

Hi mdln -- I'll take a look at Shiloh cabinets, but I don't think I want a distressed look. It looks un-natural to me.

joyce

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Decorative feet with Conestoga - this is called 'Elegant Arch'

• User
    9 years ago

Look at who carries your short list locally, then make an appointment with each to talk about your project. Ideally, you want someone with at least 5 years under their belt, and who has worked in the specific brand you are interested in for at least 2. Look at their portfolio, or Houzz or website presence. There just isn't anyone who isn't online these days. See if they've done projects that you like. You don't have to like all of them, because what's important is the customer that they were designed for likes them. But if your style is transitional, and all the designer dispays is modern, you may not be a good fit.

Talk generalities at your first meeting. You're not trying to drag out prices, you're on a blind date, learning if there will be a second date. ''Tell me abut a past project that challenged you, and how you approached those challenges.'' Remember that they are interviewing you too for a good match!

Telling someone that you ''don't have a budget'' is a pretty flag in an interview. It shows that you haven't done preliminary research, and will most likely experience denial and sticker shock over what things cost. I would stop, and repeat the question. And no design work would occur until I was provided with a budget. Give a number. A real number. This is the ''do you see yourself as a parent one day'' question of 30 year old daters. This no point in going any further with an incompatible match on something so basic.

You're just trying to find someone that you can move on to the second date with. That second date may involve measurements of the space and some initial ideas, ir some may want to jump ahead to engagement and want a retainer. That's why your interaction with them is important.

Working local is always easier than working long distance. Long distance has a great dependency on your local skilled trades and a strong installer to make things work out. By all means if you have a GC in your area whom you trust to collaborate well long distance with the designer, then go that route if you are comfortable! As you know rom your past experience, long distance can certainly work out if you have the right people involved.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oldbat2be -- that's one beautiful cabinet, and just what I'm looking for. Conestoga is still at the top of our list :) My husband and I have the time, patience and know-how to put the cabinets together. Still, I think I'll do like jhophop suggests and try to put together a single cabinet first.

live_wire_oak, thanx again for your salient advice. I was the GC on my last remodel and I worked directly with the Crowne Point KD, who was exceptional. Actually, I sketched out the design I wanted, faxed it to her, she tweaked it a teeny-little bit -- suggested a bit of "artsiness" (sp) to my traditional design, and we were done. I may post pix of our finished kitchen for reference. The new kitchen will be very similar, but a tad larger. I already know the design I want. So it's really a matter of finding someone who can take my design and make it "real" and "pretty it up". I tend to be very practical and plain with my designs.

I'm still really impressed with what can be done with semi-custom cabinets. And, at this point, for the straight-forward design we want, I don't see a reason to go back to custom designed cabinets. I'll use the savings on new pretty appliances :)

The wisdom and kindness of this group really blows me away. I really can't say thanx enough, You've all saved me a ton of time on research and probable mistakes :) The last kitchen was easy, I just told them what I wanted and they drew it up for me. I hope this one will be equally as simple.

Fingers crossed :)

joyce

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a pix of our Crown Point kitchen before we put the islnd in.

• jxa44
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Don't know how to print multiple pix, so here's the last pix.