Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osswb

PICS and Happy Thanksgiving!!! 99% done kitchen!!!

osswb
16 years ago

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving!

After ONLY 45 weeks, kitchen is 99% done and I am about 75% unpacked and moved in (no final fru-fruÂing done yet) so I took some time today to take some pics to post here for everyone. I have been hanging around here for four years planning and building this kitchen, and have greatly benefited from all the discussions, advice and pics. Soooo many people IÂd like to thank ... sadly, many of them moved on long ago ... but for the ones who have been here a while (and you know who you are) THANKS!!!! I am very grateful to you!!!

CanÂt wait to cook the Thanksgiving feast in here! I have a BIG menu planned!

I have posted some of the pics below. To see more click on the link at the bottom.

The details:

Cabs - custom, oak - painted, Fine Paints of Europe, White Cafe 2048

Cab hardware - Blum hinges & drawer glides; Emtek Tuscany Twist / Silver Patina finish knobs & pulls

Floor - original Acme Brick pavers

Counters - Crema Bordeaux granite (periphery and bar); Bianca Carrera marble (bake center); Brazilian Cherry end grain butcher block (island)

Backsplash - (Country Floors) Lancaster Travertine field tiles & ogee, Lyndhurst Allegro Molding, FlatIron Apollo Plaque

Fridge - Sears Kenmore Elite French Door Fridge (Titanium finish) - reused; Sub Zero Fridge Drawers 700BR

Dishwasher - Fisher & PayKel Dish Drawers - reused

Microwave - Sharp Genius - reused & vintage :)

Range - Lacanche Sully 1800 range, dual fuel with warming cabinet

Range hood - Ventahood, 2 - 36" 600 cfm liners TH236SLE in custom wood mantle frame

Ice Machine - KitchenAid KUIC18NNTS

Faucets - Kohler Viannata (reused) (main sink); Kohler Deck Mounted Pot Filler K7323; Rohl Pull-out Bar Faucet R77V3S (small prep sink by range); Barber Wilson 1070 (island sink)

Sinks - Elkay Gourmet Triple Bowl Sink ILGR6022L (reused) (main sink); Kohler Trough Sink 22" K3154 (small prep by range); Custom granite sink (island); Whitehaus Hammered Brass bar sink WH690 (bar)

Garbage Disposals - Insinkerator Evolution & Evolution Compact

Airswitches - Mountain Plumbing

Instant Hot Water Dispenser - Mountain Plumbing Little Gourmet MT540

Undercounter lighting - Seagull Ambiance low voltage linear xenon strips; WAC Lighting HR86 xenon pucks (next to range)

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

My best,

MaryT :)

Here is a link that might be useful: More pics and details

Comments (49)

• rhome410
    16 years ago

I usually can't see past a LaCanche...Especially one of that magnificent size-- But I love the brick floor, and really love all your choices of countertop, too. You must be so excited every time you walk in. Enjoy!

• rockpig
    16 years ago

That looks amazing! I love the look of the two colors for the cabinets/island.

• karencon
    16 years ago

Love everything about your kitchen, esp. the granite choice and cabinets. And yeah, that great granite edge.
    Enjoy.

• jessie21
    16 years ago

absolutely gorgeous! and happy thanksgiving to you too.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Beautiful!!!!!!

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Well worth the 45 week wait! I had to keep scrolling back up--so many terrific details and oh, the storage!!! WOW!

• loves2cook4six
    16 years ago

Can I move in? Love it!

• sedeno77
    16 years ago

WOW!

• natesgramma
    16 years ago

Stunning. Looks like every piece of storage was well thought out. The cabinets/granite are beautiful and the dark trim above really adds too. Have a wonderful holiday.

• armomto3boys
    16 years ago

Beautiful! It has such warmth. How nice to have it for the holidays.

• tesserae
    16 years ago

What a fabulous kitchen! I think I could spend an entire day touring it :) I love love love the Lacanche wall and the bake center. And those windows! Great job!

• elljays
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I covet your big sink. And of course the Lacanche!

• claybabe
    16 years ago

Wow Wow Wow: So many wonderful details, gorgeous materials, storage, lovely cabinets, the range, the pot filler, really, everything. Wow! Have a great holiday!

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

Just beautiful!! Warm, elegant and inviting!

• acoreana
    16 years ago

:-O!!!

WOW...just stunning.......wonderful job.

Printing out now for inspiration for my Mom....

The bake center...the hood...the custom granite sink along side the butcher block...it is *all* just so gorgeous. (I know she will absolutely love that sink with the drainboard but I don't think she has enough space for one that large. Wonder if it comes in just a double?)

Congrats!

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Beautiful!

I'm guessing there has to be a story behind the week 'tally'.

Do you mind sharing what it is? Did you find it depressing or encouraging to keep track of time that way?

Rae

• osswb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much to everyone for your kind comments!!! I SO appreciate them!!! And I hope they can help someone else here in their planning.

Also wanted to point out that there are links at the top of my main page that take you to the details and extra pics pages. I think some people are missing those links. They are kinda hard to see. Sorry.

acoreana - Yes, they make both single and double bowl models. A quick google and I found this page on which you can see them. DonÂt know anything about this site - so I am not recommending them, except for looking. :)

The Gourmet Collection from Elkay
    http://www.everyfaucet.com/asp/show_collection.asp?XnID=14283

raehelen - I put up the sign around week 30, I think it was, to "nudge" my GC and remind him just how long it was taking to get my reno done. He was not amused - but I was! LOL! At the beginning (last Jan) he told me it would be done by the end of March (HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!), then as time marched on, he took to saying it all would be done "in two weeks" (HaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!). We had a huge nightmare inept painters disaster with painting the cabs - so I added the extra "description" above the week sign [grin]. I have to say that the sign has gotten LOTS of attention from everyone (guests and subs alike) and everyone gets a big laugh out of it. It neither depresses or encourages me - but does make me feel better to put up the new week sign each week ... to continue to "jab" my GC a little. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Gourmet Collection from Elkay

• malhgold
    16 years ago

Beautiful mix of materials. They all work very well together. I really like the baking center(wish I baked so I could have one of those). Couple of questions on the prep sinks. Do you prep at the island sink or is that for hand washing? I've never seen anything like that before. The rectangular prep sink near the range, how do you like that? Great change from a round or square sink. Is it harder to use because it is set far back?

Thanks...and again, fabulous job!!

• agnesackneback
    16 years ago

You got a LOL out of me seeing "Hell Week 45" in the last picture. Beautiful kitchen. Should be in a magazine.

• silvia_2007
    16 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. Thanks.

• Katalina
    16 years ago

Spectacular! All the details flow together so beautifully. The kitchen has a high end look with a welcoming feel.

• totallyblessed
    16 years ago

This is beautiful. I'm wiping the drool off my space.... absolutely gorgeous! And my favorite (although I love it all) is your flooring! Perfect. ;o)

• plumorchard
    16 years ago

It looks great! I love the Hell Week sign too! You should be very proud and your Turkey Day is bound to be perfect.

Congrats!

• osswb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

malhgold - Thanks! About the granite sink - Funny story. ItÂs my design, based on one I had seen years ago on the inet. I had a heck of a time finding someone to make it for me. I went all over town! My granite people finally gave in when I told them to let me use their workshop and I would make it myself!!! [laugh] Everyone said it would spill out and splash - it doesnÂt - but I have to turn it on and prove it for everyone new who comes in the kitchen :). It gets used daily to wash fresh fruit from the fridge directly opposite it, for drinks of water and the occasional hand rinse off. I really love this little sink.

The little rectangular sink by the range has a garbage disposal and I do most of my daily prep work in front of it, so I can just push the cuttings, trimmings and peelings right off into it. Very handy. It is a bit far back to do alot of washing of veggies, etc so I do the "big" washing at the main sink then move to the range side for final prepping. I also am finding it great for draining rinsed items and just leave them there in the sink til I am ready to prep them. It is too far back and too small a target for emptying big pasta pots - but works fine for smaller pots I want to drain. My main sink is close but it is really nice to have that little sink right there by the range. Just a "little" thing that makes my life easier.

Thanks again to everyone for your wonderful compliments!

My best,
    MaryT

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Yowza! That should be in a magazine! LOVE it!!!!

• cefoster
    16 years ago

So wonderful!! What time is dinner tomorrow? LOL!!

• vicnsb
    16 years ago

Worth the wait...congratulations!!

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Thank you kindly! My own sink is an Elkay, so I'm pleased to hear it. I ordered mine from Ira Woods, so if she's interested, we'll probably order from there.

I'm still blown away by your kitchen. It is truly stunning. I would not have thought of going with the stained crown/white cabs but it is just perfect. Too many great details to comment on even!

• downeastwaves
    16 years ago

Wow! That is WONDERFUL!!! Congratulations on a job well done! I wonder if my kitchen will look as good as that in 45 weeks?? I just found this forum I will go post a link to my kitchen...
    Leasa

• andrea345
    16 years ago

MaryT,
    I'm getting password & username requests. I can't see your pictures without them. Your links appear broken to me.

I'd love to see your pictures,
    -a

• jessie21
    16 years ago

me too, can't see the pics

• jayav
    16 years ago

cannot see the pics either...keep getting user and pwd requests.

• toddimt
    16 years ago

I love the kitchen.

What are the dimensions of the kitchen area? Especially from the sink wall to the end of the fridge and from the fridge wall to the end of the peninsula.

• janieo
    16 years ago

I hope you are still lurking on this site and that you are still enjoying your beautiful kitchen. Now that you have been cooking in it for awhile I have a question. My contractor is telling me that since I have chosen a wood frame to go around a 24 x 40" VAH liner I have to raise it to 36" rather than the 30" recommended by VAH. I am also having trouble convincing him to bump out the liner so it is 27" deep (because of the 3" Lacanche bump out). Have you found your set up to work well and what are your measurements? I don't know how much your set up configuration being an island effects air flow...mine is a traditional wall set up.
    Thank you so much for your response.
    Janie

• bklyn2pok
    16 years ago

WOW!

• redroze
    16 years ago

I love the use of different coloured cabinets, the Crema Bordeaux is gorgeous (and makes me rethink my granite choice), and most of all, I like how your kitchen feels home-y, lived-in and personal. It feels like you will have a lot of wonderful memories in it. Enjoy!!

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Janieo,
    Call your city or county building inspector and ask them about the height of your hood. Napa County told me the minimum distance was 30" between the hood liner and range top (and made no mention of the type of material covering the liner). My liner is 21"d over a 25"d Viking range, not yet installed :(

Maybe the problem lies in the depth of the liner bec because it stops in the middle of the burners. Can you pull the liner forward if you cover the exposed 3" with stainless? You may need to buy a new liner, not nearly as expensive as the blower part. Another GWer had a sheet metal fabricator widen their liner and said the cost was reasonable.

A 36" height wouldn't be all bad if you have tall ceilings. At least no one will be bumping their head!
    I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.

• osswb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Janie - Hello! Yes I am still lurking about in case I can help anyone.

My wood frame is 32.5" in the middle and curves down to 27.5" from the rangetop on each end. Inside the wood frame, my VAH liner in 34" off the range top. Due to carpenters not paying attention to my specs, side to side the hood only extends maybe 1" past range top, and the front of the hood is back 2 or so inches from the front of the range. (It was supposed to extend 3" past side to side and be level with the front of the range.) But I came home one day and it was built and mounted - so I sighed and crossed my fingers.

I was worried about this, but it has been absolutely no problem even though the hood is over the open space of the peninsula. That VAH just has such great suction that it pulls all the steam, etc even from the front burners. Still, it would have better if it had extended out further and it would be easy for your GC to do that, as napagirl said, using some sheet metal to cover that extra space in the back. There was a thread here with pics from someone who had done that, but it may have dropped off by now.

I really don't think I would raise it to 36", and would keep it as close to 30" as you can. I had to raise mine to 34" because of the design of my hood being curved - but the sides coming down to 27.5" helps the "catch area." On the other hand, I know people here who have gone up to 36" and have not had any trouble.

redroze - thank you for the kind words. I do love my new kitchen and cooking in there is a dream.

My best,
    MaryT

• starpooh
    16 years ago

Wow!!!!
    May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the Category Checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen.
    Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• osswb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Starpooh - I'll try to get to it real soon. I haven't even posted in the gallery yet. LOL. So many things to do and so little time. :)

Todds - I am so sorry, but I just noticed your question regarding dimensions. Are you still wanting them?

MaryT

• mariel1951
    16 years ago

Love, love, love, love, love that kitchen. Great taste. Totally superbe.

I do have a question (or 2 or 3!!!): can you tell me more about your recessed lights? Are they 6"? How far apart? How many (total) in the kitchen area? How far from the upper cabinets? Where did you buy them? Do you have baffles in them to remove glare? Do they produce glare, especially with your granite counters (my granite is absolute black!)? Are the baffles white or black?

I have been searching for such info as I am days from having to make that choice without guidance. Also, do you still like and use your potfiller? I too have chosen a deck-mount. Tell me about your potfiller....of course, if you have time. I am so anxious as I am afraid of making mistakes as I don't have the budget for kitchen designers.

Thanks and God Bless.

• osswb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Marie

Thanks for the compliments. I luv my kitchen. :)

There are 8 cams in main kitchen area. As you can see in the first pic above, they are centered over the island and the walkway areas, so the spacing was dictated by those dimensions in the kitchen. I think they are 6" - but truthfully, I just told the electrician how many cams I wanted and they did the rest. The only choice he asked me about was the baffles and I chose white to make them blend in better with the white ceiling. They supplied them so I don't know the manufacturer. I have absolutely no glare - just lots of glorious light when I want it. Most of the time I just use the ones over the island, but I can really light things up if I want to!

I suppose I am not really answering your spacing questions very well, am I? :) I would advise that it would be best to have more lighting than you think you may need ... you can always turn lights off or not use them ... but if you don't have enough, it's miserable. Been there, done that. :)

I love my potfiller and use it constantly - even more so than I thought I would. It is a worthwhile luxury for me and I am sooooo glad I have it. It is a Kohler.

HTH,
    MaryT

• napagirl
    16 years ago

Osswb/MaryT,
    B E A U T I F U L kitchen remodel! Love everything you've done, and especially the black Lacanche.

Seeing your brick floor makes me realize that might be a good choice for our morning/sunroom. We have a Tudor home and already have some brick outside, so it would seem natural to bring it inside (the other floors are hardwood).

I read that your brick floor is "orig Acme Brick pavers". Can you tell me more? I assume you love it, but is it difficult to clean and maintain ... what is it sealed with ... and is sealing necessary?

I peeked thru the orig diamond-lite window and saw the brick on the house ... do you have a Tudor style home?

TIA,
    Sharon

• osswb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon - Thank you!

My floor is made from full sized solid brick pavers, as opposed to the thinner 1/2 - 1" thick brick "tile" pavers. I know they are made by Acme Brick because, well, some of the pavers are stamped "Acme Brick." Yes, I do love the floor because it is virtually indestructible. It is easy to clean mainly because you can't really tell if it is dirty LOL. I only vacuum and damp mop and don't worry about it. Always looks good no matter what.

As far as sealing, you do need it especially to fill tiny crevices that hold dirt. Mine has a coating of acrylic so has a lovely very slight sheen. I highly recommend this treatment as it is soooo easy to maintain - as in no maintenance. Really. I've lived here 15 years and only reapplied after the remodel cause the kitchen bricks' finish took such a beating during the remodel. I found the man to apply it in the phone book. He cleans and restores tile and brick floors, and was in and out in 2 hours. Acrylic dries VERY quickly.

I love the Tudor style, but no, my home is more a traditional style, built in the early 70's.

HTH,
    MaryT

Here is a link that might be useful: Acme Brick

• napagirl
    16 years ago

MaryT,
    Thanks for your positive recommendation, and one that comes from 15 years experience. I like the thought of "it is soooo easy to maintain - as in no maintenance".

I don't have the required depth for full 2" thick brick, so I would need the thinner half-brick. I checked out Acme Brick's website and was surprised they offer custom engraved brick (up to 3 lines of 3/4" block letters) - no doubt an expensive option but one that could be interesting to work with.

Thanks again for posting your pics and giving me the idea of using brick on the morning/sunroom floor! I like it.
    Sharon

• kulagal
    16 years ago

I'm so glad your kitchen is still being shown - love it! What kind of wood and color of paint/stain did you use on the island? How long and wide is your island? I really like the contrast of light and dark in a kitchen. Well done! TIA!

• edlakin
    16 years ago

just a great job on that kitchen. really nice mix of materials--nothing stands out, not too busy or overtly luxe--just quietly exudes quality. especially your use of countertop materials. everything makes sense.

well done. love your cabinets--great detailing right down to the panels on the sides. hood is incredible.

i assume from your posts that the floors are original to your home? or did you install those when you did this remodel?

did you have a designer?

• osswb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well aren't you all so nice! I wish I could have you over for dinner! Wouldn't that be fun?!

kulagal - The island base cabs dimension is 27 x 98.5". It was painted a brick red, allowed to dry, then painted a dark brown. Fine steel wool was used to lightly rub through the dark brown in raised areas and around the pulls, creating the look of naturally "worn through with age" to prior paint color.

edlakin - The brick floor is original to the home and dates back to the early 70's.

My best,
    MaryT

• osswb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oops!

edlakin - I missed your last question. I did not use a designer. I designed it myself, down to the last detail. I designed my prior kitchen in my old home (which I still miss as it was HUGE), really love to cook and I knew what I wanted.

MaryT

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!