Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

help again with backsplash

kateskouros
12 years ago

okay. so originally i was going to do a calacatta slab backsplash and then i decided the slabs are too thick (2 cm) and too problematic. so then i start thinking about 3x12 calacatta until i change my mind again to calacatta random.

and then tonight i'm googling and find these and my heart stops. do you think i could use one of these?? very different from my original vision but then again, my original vision didn't take my breath away.

i want to do all the walls the same tile. i'm not one to pull out a panel at the range. so i'm talking about one of these tiles ALL over the kitchen. yes? no?

{{!gwi}}

or this

{{!gwi}}

here's the kitchen

{{!gwi}}

{{gwi:1446454}}

Comments (62)

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

I like #2 as well. I think you're saying you're tiling up around the windows? and I think the vertical nature of #2 will look great winding up and around your windows.

hth

• aliris19
    12 years ago

I love them both but think #2 might be a little less wild as an overall look. While it's true you have less, as opposed to more backsplash area, still with a smaller busier pattern like #1 I think that will look wilder, even though it's muted, than #2.

If you can, I'd recommend spending a few minutes with the computer and some image software and try to get, even a rough paste-over picture of both of the patterns, scaled appropriately of course, "on" the walls. I know some here can do this and maybe you're one of them. I know it would take me a while to figure it out but I would think it was time well-spent, personally. This will be money well- and muchly-spent, so I think it will be worth it to make an effort for a computer mock-up.

• babs711
    12 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE 2!! And I LOVE LOVE LOVE your kitchen. Wow! It made my jaw drap! It's stunning!

• honorbiltkit
    12 years ago

It is difficult to tell what the scale of the two patterns is, except relative to each other.

That said, I think #1 might work better in your small-ratio-of-backsplash-to-cabinets space. It would register from a distance as almost a texture, whereas the more dramatic and contemporary #2 would call [unseemly?] attention to itself among your great swaths of white and wood.

Your kitchen really is turning out as gorgeous as it started out.

• ferrygirl
    12 years ago

I vote for #2! I agree with mtnfever re: liking the vertical-ness of the tile. I think #1 seems a bit too busy to me.
    Both, however, are beautiful. They go wonderfully well with what looks like SNOW (ACK!) in your yard!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

whichever one you don't choose, I'll do.

omg, both are gorgeous.

Without seeing the scale of them in the room I can't choose.

bee

• ptamom
    12 years ago

I love #2 but really ADORE #1. Either choice is a win.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks everyone. i woke up this morning not knowing what to think. i definitely need to see these in person. i think so far i'm leaning towards the first one, as the second seems like the scale might be a problem with my space. but there's no way to know until i see them.

and also, the price. so breezy, as long as you mentioned, why don't you spill it? please! i can't wait any longer and have to know the price on these!
    to answer your questions, the seeded glass in my cabinets are from a local place here in NJ. my hardware: pulls are schaub traditional, cliffside icebox latches and the bin pulls and drop pulls are vandyke's. i also have crystal pulls (because no kitchen is complete without FIVE different types of hardware!) but i kept changing them out until i found something i really liked, so don't remember from which vendor they came. sorry!

thanks again. sometimes i just can't be sure if i'm making a mistake and i don't want to ruin what has already turned out so well.

• hlove
    12 years ago

As everyone said, they're both gorgeous. Depending upon how they look in person, I'd think of doing #1 on the window wall and #2 everywhere else.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

What lovely tile... we all want you to do it so we can live vicariously through you, so be careful!

So funny, hlove. I was thinking the opposite! It seemed that #2 might go better with the window wall but I love #1 and thought it would be great as backsplash. So hard to tell without knowing scale....

• qmarker
    12 years ago

Wow, how pretty and may I compliment you on having some 'wood' in your kitchen. I simply can't believe how many kitchens are all painted cabinetry. I love your mixture and the wood choice is beautiful.

Donna

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Prices. New Ravennas start at about $80/sq ft for some of the basic patterns with cheaper stones. You get to chose your own stones to make these patterns as these are all completely custom, made-to-order. I think there were around a dozen stones, mostly marble, from which to choos so more spendy stone equals more spendy tile overall. Most patterns range in the $120/q ft range IIRC, but it can go higher depending on your choices.

Really, you must see and touch them if they are at all in your price range. I think of these mosaics as fine works of art, not tile. Sumptuous is another word that comes to mind.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, breezy. when i saw these i knew they'd be pricey so i'm not shocked. and after doing all the shopping for the new build i'm actually a little relieved with the price as i thought they really could be much more than that.

i have to get some accurate measurements but i don't think i'll need that much. i actually had budgeted the slab as a bs, so this will run about the same if not less. there's a showroom nearby that carries this line so hopefully they'll have a wide selection. i'll let you know after i see it!

• catkin
    12 years ago

Incredibly beautiful--both kitchen and tiles!

• carybk
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is stunning.

I am not sure I would do both 1 and 2 in it-- you have so little area of BS-- I think picking one or the other would be better.

• rhome410
    12 years ago

I LOVE the first one. For me #2 would compete with the veining in the marble.

But what size are these samples? It'd be nice to consider scale along with the design.

• LottieS
    12 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful. Love both of the tiles and kept moving the curser to look at them-going back and forth as to which one I loved best. The first tile is more formal and the underlying mosaic pattern gives it a classic feel. Its gorgeous. I love the relative simplicity and movement of the second tile. Either is a win win and fit in well with the light fixtures too. Pick the one that makes you happiest.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Whatever one you do, but particularly the first one...layout will be key. I assume if your tile setter is good, s/he can do this, but I would probably want to be there for the installation almost full time.

• stephct
    12 years ago

Wow! You're kitchen is absolutely stunning! I LOVE the lights over your amazing island. I love both backsplashes and think your kitchen can totally pull them off. I'm really torn between the two.

• enduring
    12 years ago

I went to the website and the second one, called Sophie, is listed as 24"x24" if that makes a difference in your selection/installation. There would be waste. The other one is called Marabel. There isn't a size given for that one. They are both beautiful. The website for New Ravenna has so many wonderful mosaics.

• catkin
    12 years ago

Incredibly beautiful--both kitchen and tiles!

• Stacey Collins
    12 years ago

I like the first one! Don't take this wrong, but it actually reminds me of all that patterned wallpaper that used to be so popular in kitchens, but crossed with, like, Pompeii or something. I think it would be incredibly yummy, stunning, unique, and ultra-luxe without being AT ALL cookie-cutter or expected.

+

{{!gwi}}

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Thats what I was thinking too, marble wallpaper.

• mobydog
    12 years ago

I vote for #1....love. On a side note, where did you get your pendants?

• rhome410
    12 years ago

The overall pattern reminds me of the kitchens Jane/Rococogurl showed on AtticMag.

Here is a link that might be useful: Delft Tile Kitchen Style on AtticMag

• erinct
    12 years ago

They are both beautiful choices and would look fabulous in your kitchen! I saw #2 at a local showroom and it is even more beautiful in person. It's still on my short list for our kitchen but we used White Fantasy quartzite for our kitchen countertops and I'm not sure it goes as well as it would with a marble countertop (the quartzite is busier and grayer than marble so I'm leaning towards a more simple white thassos tile, I think). I'm really trying to heed the advice given in another thread that you can't jam all things you love into one kitchen! : ) Although you seem to be making that happen -- your kitchen is stunning!

Anyway, someone on here suggested that I photocopy the tile to get a better idea of how it would look in my kitchen, so I did just that with a few -- took them to Staples and had 10-20 color copies made depending on the size of the pattern, taped them together and hung them up. Doing that definitely helped me get a feel for how the tile would look in our kitchen, and it helped me realize that I don't love the look of the "picture frame over the range" look for my kitchen. Although I'm still undecided on what tile to use . . . :/

Good luck with your decision!!!

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    12 years ago

exactly, staceyneil! i was thinking the same thing, although i'm looking for more of a white on white mosaic texture, mixing polished and honed marble. totally doable, since the ravenna mosaics are custom. i can select any combo i like. i have poured over their site today and spoken with other designer-type friends and i have decided to focus on the first tile (marabel). i love the sophie as well, but i feel it's too strong a vertical and the tiles as enduring mentioned above, only come in 24x24 ...way too big. i was hoping to get to see these tomorrow, but my kids are off from school until monday. aaaarghhhh. i'm thinking if i buy them a whole box of mallomars, they might cooperate. we'll see!

mobydog: i got the pendants at williams sonoma home a few years ago. they are discontinued ...but i think shades of light was also carrying them.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Kate, what did you decide on this?

Your kitchen is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I'm also in NJ and have seen New Ravenna locally, along with another line that might tempt you (we seem to have very similar taste as I almost went with your second choice as a backsplash). You can reach me at chosakhouse@comcast.net if you want to talk sources (or just vent--I know you've had such a difficult time with your remodel).

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I would love an update on which backspash you chose and a finished kitchen. Please Kate..... I am now going to get a sample quart of the SW Dover White ever since my new lights went into the kitchen.

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

I saw both of these at a tile shop off Ohio Street in Chicago recently. Stunning. Absolutely stunning. Inquiring minds want to know!!! What did you choose?

• sail_away
    12 years ago

I'll second motherof3sons ... in fact, inquiring minds don't only want to know but also want to see when it's done.

I will also echo all the other comments about what a lovely kitchen you have.

• kngwd
    12 years ago

Katie, every time I see your kitchen I drool all over again!! Whenever I'm at the in-laws in Sea Girt, I think of you!!

What did you ever decide?? Did I miss the unveiling somewhere???

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

I LOVE them both! Reminds me of this one I fell in love with in Red Bank, NJ : )
    Maybe you're close to me!

• ajones.sd
    12 years ago

Kateskouros, your kitchen is truly fabulous!!! I love the combination of white with the wood!

Love, love, love, #2....so how is it that I show it to my husband and he said it looks like boobs! Ugh. Really love #2 and it's going in my files, we might have "boobs" in our kitchen" :) Hopefully everyone will be willing to help me when I am really able to start fine tuning more of our details even though my husband is a pig. We live near the water and un/fortunately have to wait for coastal approval before moving forward so we are in a holding pattern right now...

But boy, am I in trouble! My hub and I (sorry, I don't know all the short cuts yet) are getting ready for a major remodel on our home. Since finding GW, (yes, figured this one out) only a couple of weeks ago, I've convinced my husband to splurge in a few areas i.e. MA Hood (figured this out too, how is it I don't know the terminology for my husband?) - thank you Clinresga and Katieob!!! And, thanks to GW and all of you incredible "designers", I keep raising the bar...

Thanks! And, good luck Kateskouros, but I don't think you need luck, you are doing a FABULOUS job!!!

• sayde
    12 years ago

I love your kitchen -- absolutely beautiful

and I love the tiles, especially #2

but honestly, I would not put these tiles in your kitchen. They seem a little baroque, or feminine, or something. They seem like they belong in a beautiful bathroom with crystal bottles and soft terry towels, not in a kitchen with pots and pans.

I would prefer to see something more simple in your kitchen that would go better with its overall mood. Also you have a strong pattern in your marble --so incredibly beautiful. I think it would fight with the patterned tiles even though they are all white/grey.

Your kitchen is amazing. Love the wood and the white together with the marble. Can't wait to see it completed!

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

ajones.sd: hilarious! I think my DH (dear husband) I think that's what dh is, although it could mean damn husband..... Anyway, mine would probably see the same thing. looks like cleavage. men.
    sayde: I think you are absolutely right.
    how about something like this? Could look like the cabinets were installed over a brick wall.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Kateskouros, I also love your kitchen and can't wait to see it completed.

My friend, an avid cook, installed 3" by 6" marble subway tiles
    as her backsplash, including the area behind his range.
    Six months after the reno,
    the backsplash behind her range is a wreck
    with heavily discolored marble tiles.
    (This is not a ventilation problem;
    she has a super powerful 42" wide Wolf hood
    over her 36" all gas Wolf range.)

Marble backsplashes are so so beautiful;
    but I would be reluctant to install one
    in a kitchen that sees a lot of cooking action.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Gigi, that tile is pretty interesting. What is it?

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Marcolo, Gigi's picture looks like Waterworks "Grove brick works" tile.
    Love those tiles too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterworks Tile Grove Brickworks

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

Francoise47, you are correct. I haven't seen it installed in a kitchen yet. I think it would look great in Kates kitchen. Does anyone know if she has chosen and installed a backsplash yet? I would love to see her finished kitchen.
    Speaking of finished kitchens, we should encourage people to put their kitchens up at the finished kitchen blog. I really love that tile.... as soon as my kitchen is a little further along, I will poll GW again for backsplash advice.

• greenhousems
    12 years ago

I'm favoring #1. I feel it provides a better contrast due to the scale..

• Kode
    12 years ago

#1 Marabel is done in 24" x 24" sections, same as the #2 Sophie. The picture posted of Marabel is 4 sections of it with extra on both sides, so that's actually a big pattern.

I think Sophie would be interesting in your kitchen. The vertical lines of it contrast with the horizontal feel I see in your kitchen with the island and the wide window opening.

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

ajones.sd: hilarious! I think my DH (dear husband) I think that's what dh is, although it could mean damn husband..... Anyway, mine would probably see the same thing. looks like cleavage. men.
    how about something like this? Could look like the cabinets were installed over a brick wall.

• BalTra
    12 years ago

I vote for cleavage. All things sumptuous and comforting in the kitchen!

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i really love you guys. it's great to pop in and find still more opinions/suggestions. i think you're right, francoise47. i do cook so this isn't a show kitchen and marble behind the cooktop is not such a great idea. i've actually been wondering if i should do stainless or ceramic or glass -or anything that isn't natural stone. although, the back splash in my old kitchen was tumbled marble and i managed to keep that looking good. i don't know.

we are still not in so i'm not in that much of a hurry. i'm afraid i'm suffering a bit of depression from the problems caused by our GC, but that's another post. i do somehow welcome the lag time, since i don't want to make a huge mistake. i'm very happy with the way the kitchen has turned out so far and the back splash is one of those make it or break it things ...so you understand my hesitancy in making a final choice.

the one thing i seem to have my heart set on, is whatever it is, i want it to cover the entire wall, up to ceiling. but i'll wait and see how it goes.

2LittleFishies: uh, yeah! i'm guessing the pics you posted are from monmouth street tile, am i right? so we are neighbors! i had an appt. with them before Christmas but the salesperson got sick and cancelled on me. i was planning on going in the next week or two though. have we seen pics of your kitchen yet, or have you just started?

thank you again. i promise you will know when our house is done. and when that happens i will make it my life's work to put our GC out of business forever. xxo

• motherof3sons
    12 years ago

Kate - I am considering stainless behind the rangetop in a Frank Lloyd Wright pattern. We have a local stainless fabricator that does beautiful work and is quite inexpensive. They are able to take a design and replicate it with various stainless finishes (brushed, polished, pitting, etc). Best of luck in progressing toward moving into the new house.

• Gigi_4321
    12 years ago

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Kate- YES! Monmouth Street Tile (I'm in Little Silver) : ) They seem really nice in there too and our GC works with them as well. We are waiting on our variance hearing with the town (Jan 10) so not much has happened yet- still many decisions to make but I'm a bit ahead of myself. I'll keep you posted! Good luck! Your kitchen looks gorgeous! What type of marble is your island? I'm thinking we are doing Vermont Danby on the perimeter and walnut on the island.

-Fishies

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    12 years ago

fishies, good luck and i hope all runs smoothly. my marble is calacatta gold -without the "gold". i like the veining without the "color".

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

kate- Did you say in another thread that the dark area of cabinets is a baking area? I'd love to hear about that set up and what's inside : )