Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
essdana

What is the biggest sink to fit in a 36' CORNER cabinet?

essdana
12 years ago

I am looking for a black undermount sink to put in an Ikea corner cabinet. This 37 x 37 cabinet can be used as a sink base. My contractor says to use a 24 x 18 sink but I'm not finding any options online. I'm hoping I can actually go bigger. Also not sure about depth but I'm reading other threads about that. Seems like 8-9 inches deep is best but most of the sinks I see are 10 inches deep. I need to purchase this sink on Monday so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: 37 inch Ikea cabinet

Comments (7)

• User
    12 years ago

A standard 25" sink is as large as can be fit into a 36" corner sink base. I don't believe that the Ikea corner cabinet is designed to be used as a sink base, and the shelf in it cannot be removed due to it being a structural support. You also cannot use a larger sink in a 36" base without pushing it back in the cabinet, which is really hard on your back, or notching the cabinet sides, which is especially problematic in a corner sink base because it doesn't have much support for your counter to begin with.

Corner sinks are an OK option for a very small kitchen, but really should be avoided in larger ones. They involve structural support challenges and have severe space limitations both in shoehorning them in and in their usasge abilities.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

>This 37 x 37 cabinet can be used as a sink base

No, not that one. It's L-shaped to fit without a diagonal--no room for any sink there.. You can use the 35" corner wall cabinet that way, though, and as lwo says, 25" is about your max for a sink in that one.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

>I don't believe that the Ikea corner cabinet is designed to be used as a sink base, and the shelf in it cannot be removed due to it being a structural support

The current iteration of that cabinet uses a lazy susan, not a shelf. I don't know of any ikea cabinet where you can't remove the shelves if you wish, as long as they are properly ganged with the other cabinets on each side. However, it still can't be used as a sink base, because there's just not room in it.

You can also use the 49" blind corner as a sink base, but you need to rig up something to support the sink itself.

• essdana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all your responses.

My kitchen is indeed very small--8"9' x 9! I knocked out the wall b/t the sunroom and the kitchen and another wall b/t the kitchen and the dining room, so although the kitchen's footprint won't change the space will be visually open. One nice thing about the size is that I can afford the Cambria quartz and Adura Vibe tile.

The College Park, MD IKEA store used what I thought was the lazy susan base cabinet as a modified sink base in its display to show how some customers have created corner sink cabinets. IIRC, the cross-bar thingie was removed so the sink would fit. I'm curious about the corner wall cabinet--so the top needs to be cut out to house the sink? Would it be stronger than the lazy susan?

Also writersblock, I don't see the 49" blind corner on Ikea's site--would you post a link?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Here's a link to a thread at ikeafans about how to use the wall corner, with photos of the final result.

Here's a pic of the blind corner base with a sink in it:

{{!gwi}}

Neither corner cabinet is on ikea's site right now (they do that). I suppose it might be possible to use the batwing sink in the 37" base, but everyone hates that sink.

• essdana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Writerblock for the link; I'm an official Ikea fan now, I guess! Attached is the lazy susan as it stands in the Ikea store. My thought was to just use I don't quite understand the ensuing posts, but I'm printing it out for my contractor. My sink would be dead center of the corner, like this: http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w33/madp67/Picture212012.jpg

Would the 37 inch corner carousel allow me to put in a rectangular 25 x 18 sink, or would I have to use the batwing sink (yeesh)?

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of lazy susan sink in Ikea showroom