Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulflowers

Curious to see what the answers would be

joyfulflowers
9 years ago

Choose only one of the two and give reason for your choice:

1. New kitchen cabinets and countertops

2. New countertops plus 10 day European cruise.

Comments (78)

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I will assume a liveable but dowdy uninspiring kitchen. So I'd choose new cabinets and counters. It has a lot of impact on daily living for years and years. Vacations are fleeting. You can have great experiences locally, including in the comfort of your own home.

Personally, since I love my cabinets, I'd do the counters and a luxury vacation (no cruise for me). If it's a contest, I guess I'd have to suffer through the cruise, lol. Although I'd opt for cabinetry and built-ins in a different room over the vacation if possible!

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The reasons given by all are just as varied as the people who have given them. Now, would any of you change your decision if this was your kitchen? If so, why?

added note: kitchen is 20 years old, Island has a seam coming through on countertop where two pieces were joined, and base of cabinets are covered in white rubber strip to hide damage caused by a flood (insurance company's way of repairing damage..haha).

Thanks in advance for participating.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another view which includes the stove area.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Joyfulflowers, how do YOU like the cabinets? It looks like they are ample, and from the lack of clutter, it doesn't look like you need more storage. They are rustic and cute. They aren't my cup of tea, but I like a modern look. So, I wouldn't want to put in new counters and keep the cabinets. I'd either do the while kitchen or live with it as is. But if the layout works for you, the cabinets are in good shape, and you like them, then new counters would make a significant difference. (Can you do new toe kicks as well?) In that case, the counters and cruise option seems to make sense. (Make sure it's not the one my parents took. They were BORED. Vowed to stick with Europe by land.) I see people rip out kitchens I love to put on things I'd want to rip out. And I'm sure some people here hate my new kitchen. (No one earth liked my old kitchen.). This has been a fascinating and fun read, but in the end it really come down to what you want more.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

My answer would have been #1, even before seeing the kitchen. I was JUST asking a friend Friday if he had ever had a desire for a cruise, and like me, his answer was no, as we both prefer the type of vacation that Gyr Falcon mentioned above.

I love my modest home, and all that I have done to it over the years has enriched my life, as I LIVE in my home every day. The memories of a trip are nice, but I enjoy the kitchen update I did in the early 90's to this day.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well finally, I'm begiining to lean a bit towards #1. What's made it difficult is the fact I love to go on cruises. Hubby and I have cruised all of the east, south and west caribbean and we have never been to Europe. But, those were the days when I was in better health. My current condition, due to being unable to walk for long would mean my hubby would have to push me in a wheel and use a private driver to take us around to see the sights. He says that would not bother him though. He said he will go with whatever makes me happy, but does that really mean he will be happy if I choose #1? This is what happens when two people love each other and want their partner to be happy as well.

Yes, the kitchen is functional at 20 years old even if the cabinets are a bit beat up from having reared a family, but the countertops have to go and I'm just not sure if I want to put new countertops on beat up cabinets. I think what is getting in my way is that I want to please my husband when I sense he would prefer to go on the cruise, then my thoughts sway to me deserving a new kitchen. Ugh!!!! I'll probably come to a decision sometime tomorrow. I must say, everyone has certainly given me allot to consider which is very appreciated.

• lovetorenovate
    9 years ago

I think so much depends on your long/short term goals for the house. Will you stay there 5 more years? What's your vision for your kitchen? Do all the other rooms "need" updating too? I love fixing up houses and I'd likely paint the cabinets you have then put on new countertops. But if it's a layout issue and the current cabinets aren't functional - I'd wait until you could do all of it. But I'm a huge fan of travel so I'd recommend the trip over your kitchen. My renovations help fund my travel because I'm typically renovating and then selling - and use the proceeds to finance a trip. :-) I'm not big on cruises in general, but the european river cruises look interesting.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've been living in this house for 37 years and hubby has 3 years before he retires. I have no desire to ever sell it, but after he retires we have no idea what the financial picture will look like at that time and we could end up like many other retirees and relocating to Florida. Only time will tell.

Lovetorenovate, you are lucky to have such an option.

BTW: the rest of my house is up-to-date in style

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I would go with #1 because I'm not a cruise person and my other half would be seasick the entire time. They can't even make it through the 40 minute ferry ride between Port Angeles and Victoria on a calm day. Make it a land trip and that's where things start to get interesting because you would get to see a whole lot more that way IMO.

Given the cabinets in question... honestly I would still go with #1 but I'm particular about style and the rustic look is 180 degrees from what we enjoy. However if the style is ok to you things might be different. Either way, they don't look 'bring out the big sledge hammer' demo-worthy. Perhaps donating them to Habitat would help bring a bigger tax refund so you can get new cabinets now and maybe the trip next year?

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

If I owned your kitchen, I would leave the cabs and replace the formica, if it's broken. An earthy granite with movement would look really nice on the knotty pine, and I might do the backsplash while I'm at it. Can you properly fix the bottom part of your cabinets?

So I guess what i'm saying is, I would try to do a 'refresh' rather than a gut, and try and squeeze in a cruise too.

But you say you've been on cruises before, so I think it might be worth forgoing 1 cruise to get different cabinets, if they don't appeal to you. It's true that a nice kitchen brings you happiness every single day. Maybe not as much condensed happiness as you would get on a cruise, but a little bit of happiness every day.

ANother thing: some people have prettiness outside all the time. My brother, for instance, lives in Wellington New Zealand, and out of every window is a gorgeous vista of mountains, ocean, and houses nestled in the hillside. In his case, there's no point in having an updated kitchen because it doesn't matter--he can just look outside and everything is wonderful. I, on the other hand, live in an urban place that is encased in darkness and snow for 8 months out of the year. The prettiness can't come from outside, so I create it on the inside. So having a nice kitchen and home interior is more important to me than it is to him.

• lenzai
    9 years ago

In this instance #1 because I need new cabinets (these are 40 years old and not in good shape) and because i don't like to cruise.

However we did a version of #2 this summer and went to Paris for 10 days and pushed the kitchen remodel 6 months because that was our last chance for a long vacation together due to husbands job.

• User
    9 years ago

With that kitchen, #1 definitely! The range at the end of the run directly underneath the wood cabinets is a BIG safety hazard, and there looks to only be about 18" of space between the sink and the range, which is the most used counterspace. The DW is at the end of the run also, like it wasn't planned for, or was retrofitted. I see a grand total of 2 duplex outlets serving your electrical needs. I can't imagine the amount of stepping on top of each other that happens when trying to make a big dinner in that space!

A new layout could make that room a pleasure to work in every single day. A lot of smaller daily triumphs of living with good design add up to more than a single major experience. God is in the details.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

#1, no contest.

I've never been on a cruise and have no desire to take one. I would only consider it if someone else paid for it. :)

Vacations are fleeting. Sometimes you visit a place and the memories stay with you forever. It's not always necessary to spend a bundle to have that experience.

You will live in and use your kitchen every single day (that you aren't spending $$$ on a cruise). It will repay you for a long time.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Keep the posts coming. I'm pretty sure I will make my decision by tomorrow the lastest.

You all are so nice to take the time and give your reasons and I am taking each post seriously because you all have very good reasons.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Depending on your health issues and whether or not they will get better or worse I would redo the kitchen. I would redo it based on aging in place given that it sounds like you currently plan on staying.

Reconfigure the layout, put in drawers (and all drawers), make the island or part of a counter table-height and open underneath for a wheelchair where you can still work, reachable taps, bring the microwave down (old shoulders don't like high MW's), improve the lighting (as eyes age lots of good lighting is necessary), widen doorways. Just make it comfortable. That is worth a cruise.

I wouldn't want to live in a place that I love but that just no longer works for me. There is no joy in that.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

without reading all the other posts i have to vote for no cruise! my daughter calls them "poop cruise" after all the troubles carnival has had of late plus tons of people end up sick!
    kitchen cabs all the way:)

• way2go2
    9 years ago

I too would vote for #1. Its a hard one since I love cruising. Redo the kitchen now when you still have the energy or desire. It is such a long and stressful process. The older people I know (65-80) tend to just settle for what they have than go through all the trouble, or they just keep buying new builds every 5-10yrs. Plus the Reno will increase the value of your home so if you do decide to relocate to Florida, you will have the extra cash. If not you would be enjoying your kitchen everyday.
    There will be loads of time to go on vacation. When you do go on your European cruise, there are many tour companies that will pick you up from port and customize your itinerary. This way you can maximize your time without being herded with the larger groups.

• fatherdowling
    9 years ago

Depends on the cruise.

I've been many times on cruises all over Europe and they are amazing and a great way to see a lot. However not all cruise lines are the same. My advice is to get a good travel agent, a great deal and then get both! ;)

It's definitely hard decision, but I do think you need to get to Europe while your health is still good enough.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

New cabinets for sure. Your layout can be made so much better! And that will impact every single day of the rest of your life in this house.

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Now that you've shared that your health status, I say go to Europe. If your health gets worse, you might not feel comfortable on long plane flights. Or you might have even less mobility. If you love to cruise and your husband does too, let this be something special. I hope you do have "all the time in the world" to travel, but then you'll also have time to redo the kitchen later. I wouldn't do the counters now. Can you just take the cruise and then save as quickly as possible to get your kitchen?

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Re: My health

Well, I have chronic back pain (double sciatica, spinal stenosis, herniated & bulging discs and pinched spinal nerves) and have use of a T.E.N.S unit. That stands for Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator which send electrical stimuli via electrodes to the area of pain. I actually forgot what life feels like without pain because it's been so many years. So, I guess I'm already feeling a bit hesitant toward a long flight. I know my doctor would prescribe me codiene for the flight, but I don't know if I really want to take it. It does cloud the brain.

I'm still working on the money picture to see how things play out using various strategies mentioned by all of you.

I have to admit the decision to marry my husband was allot easier than this....lol.

Thank you all for your kindness and sincerity.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

With your health issues, remodeling the kitchen with universal design in mind would help with your comfort in living in the home. All drawers to bring the contents out to you rather than getting on your hands and knees and searching in the recesses will be a big difference. Adding in a pulldown spice shelf to bring the contents to you also minimizes reaching, as would relocating the MW to a more user friendly location.

Nothing is really wrong with that kitchen, other than the fire hazard of the wood immediately over the range, but I think you'd be surprised at how much your life can be made easier in the kitchen. That has value, even if it does have cost associated with it.

• hcharnock
    9 years ago

I would most definitely, positively, go with number one! The European cruise would be over so fast and then you'd be back home looking for the next however many years at something you don't like. IMO, better to go for the long term pleasure. :)

• Lars
    9 years ago

We made this decision recently and this year got new countertops only and are keeping the old cabinets so that we can go to Europe, although it will not be a cruise, as we prefer to travel on land. The cabinets function as well as can be expected, considering the space that we have, but the countertops did not. However, we will be going to Costa Rica before we go to Europe.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Need versus want.

You need an updated kitchen that can better accommodate your heath issues.

You want to take a cruise.

Unfortunately, I have to vote kitchen.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I said I would have a decision by today and I finally have decided thanks to all you wonderful people.

And the decision is a NEW KITCHEN......yay!!!!!!

I'll be returning to this thread to share a picture of my new kitchen with all you. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• dcward89
    9 years ago

For what it's worth, I don't think you will regret that decision. Giving up one vacation to remodel our kitchen is/was so completely worth it. It brings me pleasure and satisfaction each and every day. Can't wait to see your kitchen remodel plans and I hope I can contribute some ideas to make things easier for you!

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you dcward.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Post a measured layout in a new thread and you will get lots of help to make your kitchen be the best it can be. I can already see a few changes that would help you enjoy your time there more.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay. Sounds great. I will do that.

• Jeannine Fay
    9 years ago

Good for you joyfulflowers- You'll enjoy it every day and maybe plan for a more local less costly get away. Wonderful life experiences can be had close to home as well.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I think right after I get my kitchen, I'm going to start saving for that European cruise... Lol

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I think a new kitchen will cost more than a cruise, unless you have a suite on the top of the boat and shop till you drop.
    My old kitchen made me nuts everyday, so the choice would be a no brainer for me. My new kitchen makes me happy every day. We sometimes have business trips that allow us to tack on a few days of vacation. We did this a few weeks after the kitchen install and I had separation anxiety for my kitchen. Not my children or friends, but my kitchen.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Post a floorplan and also start a thread looking for ideas on universal design or aging in place kitchen. You will get a wealth of information. It is the basis on which we designed our kitchen.

For eg - I have had arthritis in my hands since I was 30 - no subzero fridge for me because I can't open the doors :( But I paid attention to the hardware by making sure that they were comfortable to hold with a high relief so that I wouldn't bang my knuckles on the drawers.

Like I said - there will be lots of great info from everyone here. This is a decision you will not regret.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks fenton. I'm having a guy come over tomorrow to measure out my kitchen and draw up a floor plan for me. Then I'll be able to post it.

Sorry to hear you have had arthritis since age 30. I take it it is the Rhuematoid type? If it is, I hope you haven't been taking Methatrexate for it. That medicine causes cancer with long term use. How do I know? My youngest brother was told that by his doctor when he was 30 years old, but he chose the medication for his Rhuematoid arthritis in order to live in more comfort. He past away at age 46 from cancer. He handled the news he had two months to live braver than any soldier risking his life on the battle field. So proud he was my brother. : )

Sorry I got off kitchen talk, but I had to mention it since you said you have arthritis.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Oh I'm so sorry about your brother. There is a technical name for mine but it is a small joint arthritis that either develops in the feet or the hands and doesn't affect the larger joints and there is no genetic reason for it. Fortunately mine hasn't developed in my feet.

Thank-you for your concern and the information.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I would choose #1. New cabinets will last a lot longer than 10 days :)

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Errant. Yep, that's the way I've decided. Will be making a new thread soon with the kitchen plans I now have.

• funkelsgw
    9 years ago

Even before seeing the picture, I'd choose #1. You have to live in the kitchen a lot longer than a short cruise. You'll always wish you did the kitchen. Go camping instead of a cruise. You might have more fun.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Funkels for your input. I'm just going to have to put the European cruise back on my bucket list. Hubby and I do have allot of fun no matter where we go or what we do on a vacation, but my dream vacation is Europe.

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

I think its interesting (but perhaps not surprising) so many people choose the kitchen remodel. There are so many studies that suggests that experiences rather than things are what make people happy. Clearly #2 is an experience. Though #2 is only 10 days, those memories do last a lifetime as many, including myself, can attest. The benefits of travel are not limited to the period of travel.

Many would think of a kitchen remodel is a thing/item, not an experience. Of course we may argue that #1 once done will give us loads of experiences that are daily and very pleasurable, albeit not as dramatic as a trip to Europe. Which I do think is true. (I doubt many would argue that remodeling, though an experience, is particularly pleasurable).

And we all know this is a non-general, biased sample of people who visit kitchen remodel forums. I suggest the original poster post on a cruise or European vacation forum - they'll likely get very different answers. Anyway, this is just a philosophical post. Clearly there's no right answer except for the OP to figure out what they really want.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I think most people here would be aware of the value of experiences over material things. I do believe we experience our homes, though, much the same as other experiences. It is not just a material acquisition or mere surroundings. It is a known fact how much impact our physical environments have on us, although people might not be aware of just how much they do and sensitivities to environment might vary. I certainly know from personal experience how much of an effect environment has. So I don't think home improvements in general are a superficial choice at all. It's more of a long-term benefit, gain or reward over a short term one.

That is not to say someone needs an expensive, fancy kitchen or home to be happy, productive and healthy. That can actually be pretty stressful for some. But neither do we need the luxury of traveling, or even venturing from our homes, to have great experiences and nurturing memories. That concept, too, could be viewed as superficial and materialistic.

Being that a vacation is a change in environment, if it's that necessary, maybe getting creative on the homefront is a better idea.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 14:32

• ChristyMcK
    9 years ago

Thanks for your thoughtful response, snookums. I was a little worried about how my post would be interpreted. I completely agree that our physical environment have a huge impact on how we feel and are worth investing in. Decisions about remodels versus travel or other competing priorities end up involve a myriad of factors. I also think that the distinction between 'experiences' versus 'material items' can be vague since (as is true with a kitchen remodel) items can be catalysts that create pleasurable experience for years.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love reading the exchange of intelligent thinking. Good going Christy and snook.

BTW: If anyone is interested, I did post the plans to my new kitchen in a new thread.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Joyfulflowers, I have been without a computer for a week and now I am seeing this post. I would have chosen the new kitchen also. So glad you made that decision. I will look after my seminar for your post to the new kitchen!

• Mick Mick
    9 years ago

Cruise/vacation

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

I would choose option #1. Have been on many cruises already as well as have been to Europe and plan to go again. But looking at your photos, a new kitchen would make me much happier. Get it to fit your cooking style.

• nancylouise5me
    9 years ago

I would choose option #1. Have been on many cruises already as well as have been to Europe and plan to go again. But looking at your photos, a new kitchen would make me much happier. Get it to fit your cooking style.

• joyfulflowers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for responding. Your responses have truly been helpful. I love GW with all the categories it has to offer.

This thread is now closed.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES