Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pantry unit redux

Posted by idabean (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 1:30

I've come full circle to having to resolve the pantry placement .Here is the refrigerator placement. I must make a decision.

photo IMAG0124_zps8dbf2a96.jpg
And the fridge's black side, though that too would be fixable with a panel, molding etc.
So the pantry went back:
 photo IMAG0127_zpsb3071773.jpg

/IMAG0151_zps282900b2.jpg" alt=" photo IMAG0151_zps282900b2.jpg" border="0">
However, these are the often maligned thermofoil cabinents and cant' be painted.

Help me figure out a way to make this pantry unit work, particularly in relationship to the refrigerator. How to work with the differences in height between the two, what to do with the small space above the fridge, how to deal with the ugly side of the pantry unit.
If all else fails, I can put it in the sunroom.....
Thanks

This post was edited by idabean on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 14:20

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pantry unit redux

The only thing wrong with the pantry next to the fridge is that you didn't order it with an integral decorative panel for the side. When you have it turned like that, it needs that panel to work. Order a field applied decorative panel instead and leave it there.

o

What does "field applied" mean?
What would the decorative panel look like? Trim? That is a finished side, though certainly not decorative.

This post was edited by idabean on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 2:15

o

idabean - "field applied" means just that - the part is applied in the field (i.e. your home) rather than at the factory.

A decorative panel is designed so that it looks like the front of the cabinet - so for yours, the decorative panel would look like the one side (left or right) of your doors. It isn't functional, it just looks nicer. There are some people who will go so far as to add their hardware to it as well, but that's a personal choice.

o

I agree. I think the best place for the pantry is next to the fridge, but it needs to made to look like it belongs there and you planned it that way. In addition to the finished side panel, I would try to figure out a way to fill the space above both the fridge and the pantry to the ceiling, as you have for your other cabinets.

o

Maybe an example would be helpful? Here is the side panel on the cabinet that covers the side of our fridge. I'm no expert, but field application at your place might just be a matter of cutting and fastening the rails, and then painting to match.

Sometimes the pics I take with my ipad end up posting sideways or upside down. Sorry in advance if thats the case!

o

Just want to say the rest of your kitchen looks great including your microwave.

o

Does the cut paper chicken fit on that pantry side? Hang it there? Or other artwork? Or do what they're saying above & do a decorative panel--I'm just thinking you could skip that & do it with artwork instead. Are you doing anything above the fridge that you could tie to the top of the pantry & pantry to ceiling so it would all look a little more finished-off? You're right about the toe-kick popping it up some, then molding up top, but seems like making it more like a surround around the fridge would help too.

o

meganmca,
Yes, that's what I meant about bringing the fridge and cab together.... I can't visualize how to do that.....would someone out there be able to do a sketch or describe that?
I have plenty of the same crown molding used on the other cabs.

I also thought of putting artwork on the side. Doesn't it need some moulding or filler, at the least, between fridge and panel?

o

Idabean, did you figure out a solution?

o

Idabean, I think that it would be pretty easy to make a filler ( and/or incorporate an actual cabinet) to fit above the frig and pantry. Just some wood, one piece, cut to fit the spaces. Use your extra molding at the top; get a piece of compatible looking thin and narrow trim (like screen molding) to run across the bottom of the filler (at the top of the pantry) to edge it and continue that trim at the same level across the filler over the frig. That will visually tie the different heights together, I think.

You could even attach some of that trim to the side of the cabinet to dress it up a little (like, frame the side with the molding)

Of course, then you need to have a filler piece above the door side of the pantry too.

Perhaps someone who can make and post a drawing will get what I am describing.

Love the chicken! I have a Chinese watercolor chicken that I adore and no place to put it.

o

Love the chicken! Where did you find it?

One question: If you have to replace the fridge in the future, will a wider fridge fit there with the pantry next to the fridge?

o

Here's how to do it.

o

Also, I'd make the suggestion to add a pantry or broom closet between the fridge and wall if that wall is deeper than 26". Looks like you've got the room, and a standard sized larger refrigerator (36"W) will need the help with the clearance.

o

thanks, all. Very happy to see a bump up to my questions.
I hadn't done anything else. I've made friends with the pantry. We're "saving up" the last details so the carpenter can make a full day's work of it.
With hollysp's help, at least I know what to do. Many thanks!

I thought about the "new fridge" question before. The pantry is a free standing unit. You might have to remove or modify the framing but there's plenty of room for a bigger frig. Worst case, they'd have a pantry unit to put elsewhere or on Craig's list.

My lovely chicken was at a tiny arts gallery in the next town. I loved it at first sight, but told my husband we could not buy it because it was too expensive. ($300). I am so happy he paid no attention. It was a real surprise birthday gift a few weeks later.

Marie

o

I deleted a lot of pictures.

The opening height is 79"
the wall depth is 36.5
64" from wall to door casing

Hollysprings, you are suggesting the frig and pantry move closer to the doorway, and slim broom closet can be put between frig and left wall?
I think that would be custom. It would be quicker than the turn around time from the line, and what I want. My line is semi-custom.

This post was edited by idabean on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 17:26

o

There's room for a broom closet?!!

o

I was wondering if that pantry was your broom closet that really wasn't a broom closet.

o

you have a good memory. I gave up the idea of mangling the pantry to fit brooms. Moved on to figuring out where to put them in my "real" pantry/laundry room, which is already tight.
They are propped up against the shelves with cans, ready to fall and hit your head when you make a false move with a laundry basket. One thing at a time, though. I'm trying to figure out how to upload my floorplans to photobucket so I can post them here.
 photo TulinFloorplan_zps737ba699.jpg

if you click on image, the new photobucket image is much easier to read.

The opening height is 79"
the wall depth is 36.5
64" from wall to door casing

Hollysprings, you are suggesting the frig and pantry move closer to the doorway, and slim broom closet can be put between frig and left wall?
I think that would be custom. It would be quicker than the turn around time from the line, and what I want. My line is semi-custom.

I know the carpenter could figure it out, but for my own information, how does cabinentry, whether functional or not, deal with difference in height between frig and pantry unit?
Thanks
Marie
idabean

This post was edited by idabean on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 17:34

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here