Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cece1213

Help, my new white lacquer cabinets are peeling!

cece1213
9 years ago

Hello,
We reno'd our kitchen 1.5 years ago and installed custom inset white cabinets made by a local cabinet maker. They are lacquer, and I'm not exactly sure of which kind of lacquer, but I do know it was sprayed on. They looked beautiful at first, soft satiny finish, but unfortunately they are not wearing well at all. Even within a few months after installation, I started noticing little chips around the sharp corners where the grooves in the door panel are, which is an area with minimal wear. And of course now as time has gone by, with changes in weather/humidity, wear and tear, the lacquer around the sink, trash pull out, and other areas is cracking and peeling and breaking off in large shards. This is happening even in areas without direct water contact. I contacted the cabinet maker and he said I could bring him the door panels and he would re-spray them for me, but it seems this will continually happen. Also, some of the peeling is occurring in the frame so obviously I can't bring that to him. I am so disappointed because otherwise I love the cabinets, but every time I see a new shard of paint on the floor that has flaked off, it breaks my heart.

My question is, does anyone else have this problem? Does this have to do with the way this particular cabinetmaker finishes his cabinets? Maybe I should've gone with a factory made brand who might've done something different so that the paint would be more durable. And is there anything I can do to fix this (e.g. sand everything down and repaint with a different material? Anything less drastic?)

Thanks for any responses.

Comments (22)

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Has the cabinet maker come to your house to see what is happening? That seems like a good step. Whatever the fix, it seems like it should be his responsibility.

• springroz
    9 years ago

That is the nature of most modern paint, I am afraid. I do not think it is the cabinet makers responsibility to fix it, unless he gave a written warranty on paint.

Every cabinet person I talked to warned of the painted finish. I chose to go with it anyway, but I love patina, so I call it that!

At least your cabinet maker is still in business!

• cece1213
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I expected hairline cracks in the paint where joints come together, but did not expect the paint to actually flake off in large chunks. In places where this happens, you basically see large areas of the unstained maple underneath. It's very unsightly. Has this happened to others with lacquered cabinets?

Although the cabinet maker has offered to respray the doors, he doesn't really seem that interested in my problem. He's about an hour and a half away and I offered to drive over with my doors and he said just to send them to him by UPS (!) I don't foresee him coming to my house any time soon. I'm trying to live with it the best I can but I will probably end up bringing him a bunch of doors to respray once it reaches a critical mass. That still won't solve the problem with the peeling paint in the frames. This cabinet maker came as a recommendation from an acquaintance and I probably didn't do the appropriate due diligence before hiring him. I'm upset with myself for not asking enough questions and doing more research. It was our first major reno so I guess I'm putting it in the lessons learned file.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm sorry you are having this experience with your painted cabinets. Mine were done by a professional painter using catalyzed paint. I don't know if it's called lacquer, but it sure did smell. It's been nearly 3 years and there are no chips or peels, only miniscule cracks where the shaker pieces join, but barely visible and something I expected to happen.

Please post a photo showing what's happening with your cabinets.

This post was edited by linelle on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 9:45

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

This is an adhesion problem between the primer and the substrate. There can be several causes of this it's hard to know exactly which one it is without knowing the materials and the process he used. Things like sanding the maple with to fine a grit, excess dust build up left in the recess areas, not letting the primer cure properly before top coat, under of over catalyzing (if he used that type of material) incapable materials and lots more. Cabinet making and cabinet finishing are two entirely different skills. Some custom guys can do both well but defiantly not all. The only way to fix this is to strip the entire finish and do it properly or for him to order new doors paint them and switch out yours and do the site work on your frames. Anyone can have a paint job fail especially when it doesn't show up for some time even big manufactures. This doesn't mean everything he does comes out like this but without knowing anything about it can comment on that.

• gardnerroad
    9 years ago

I am having the same problem with my custom cabinets. After a year or so they all started to peel and crack. Same thing, could see exposed wood underneath and paint breaking off in large pieces. The company came back and attempted to fixed (messy job and a huge inconvenience) but the cabinets started to peel again within a year or so. Now, they are not returning my calls.....I filed a complaint with the BBB as I believe it is a flawed product and they should work with me to rectify. I hired other cabinet companies at the same time to do other rooms in my house and none of the other painted cabinets have this problem.

• jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It sounds like the cabinetmaker did not use a primer. There is really no reason for paint to come off in shards if the substrate was primed properly. Think of primer as a kind of "glue". It sticks to the substrate and the paint sticks to it.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of those with painted cabinet problems. We put sooo much time, sweat, and effort into these kitchens, it is heartbreaking to hear of major malfunctions.

• Andy Kraabel
    8 years ago

Is it too old to bring this thread back to life. We have a cabinet supplied by a national production outfit Kraftmaid I have been using their line for years and never had a problem. We now have at least two wall cabinets in a laundry room that have the paint peeling off the styles under the doors. Kraftmaids first response is that upon looking at the pictures, moisture is the cause and we dont have a warranty for that. My problem is that I dont see even the smallest amount of evidence that moisture is or has ever been involved. The boxes look great, bottom, sides and shelves. As you can see in the picturs the paint is just falling off. Because the rep saw the water gallon in the first picture, he said his mind was made up and this was no fault of theirs. How do you find out or determine if a paint was over or under catalyzed?

The cabinets are off to the side of the washer and dryer. The next reply the rep had was that maybe too much moisture is being generated through them. Wouldnt the room have to be like a sauna for something like this to happen in the first year?

Also, the doors look nice I have been told the doors would be way out of whack first if moisture was my root cause. Truth? I guess because there are no panels they may not go that crazy as far as bows and trists and splits, etc. Really looking for some feedback Thanks

• practigal
    8 years ago

I think that jerzegirl is onto something. I never seen paint peel off like that if the surface with properly prepped. It looks like they did not prep the surface at all and that is why the paint did not adhere at all and is coming off in big pieces. Of course they are going to say water is the problem you will have to fight them on that, no one wants to accept a warranty claim it's a pain in the .... a properly prepped cabinet can't lose paint like that. If it had been prepped the upper layers of the finish would've fallen off and left the primer there, not the bare clean spotless wood.

• practigal
    8 years ago

It could be that just these cabinets had the problem or it could also be that every cabinet in your kitchen has this problem. Inspect them carefully before you contact Kraftmaid again so that you get everything at one blow...

• PRO
    KraftMaid
    8 years ago

Hi akraabel - We're pleased that we were able to work with you to come to a resolution on this issue. Please feel free to continue to contact us at KraftMaidCares@KraftMaid.com. Thank you, and happy new year. Tod

• millworkman
    8 years ago

"Hi akraabel - We're pleased that we were able to work with you to come to a resolution on this issue. Please feel free to continue to contact us at KraftMaidCares@KraftMaid.com. Thank you, and happy new year. Tod"

Doesn't sound to me like a resolution sounds like akraabel is still looking for some resolution and KM has not been any help!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

millworkman:

I don't know if that's fair. KraftMaid has said the issue has been resolved. Until I hear otherwise, I'll consider the matter closed.

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

This should definitely not be happening. Our 1980's kitchen cabinets (MDF) were incorrectly painted by the PO, that paint was peeling when we bought the place. After a few months living here, it got worse and although we planned to replace the cabinets (which we are finally doing in January - Ikea) I couldn't stand it for 3 years so I removed all the doors and drawers, sanded everything (frame face cabinet frames too), applied a bonding primer to all surfaces (one made for helping paint bond to smooth surfaces), then applied 2 thin coats of BM satin finish Simply White paint. My paint job has help up for 3 years with no peeling whatsoever, and no visible scratches or chips. If I can DIY properly, a professional should have been able to.

• 2christene
    8 years ago

Wow! To make sure professional companies that refinish cabinets using lacquer, You need to ask what steps they take to get a beautiful finish that will last for years to come....Sanding, spraying, sealing, etc.

With that in mind....

What questions do you need to ask while getting an estimate on refinishing cabinets?

Like to know, going to have my cabinets refinished. They are over 10 years old. Had them custom painted an off white with taupe streak lines., They are peeling. Plus have turned a yellowy-beige color.

• Nida Yusuf
    7 years ago

Year ago I buy a 1600 dollar furniture it's bed and night stand include only its white bed and all the lacquer coming out very frustrating because I use my staff very gently and the store is already closed but I know the furniture brand is from ashley I have no idea how can I fix this problem

• cbd1113
    6 years ago

I don’t know if this thread is active still, but if it is and Linelle sees this - I’m wondering how long the smell lasted for your cabinets?? We have newly installed catalyzed lacquer cabinets and the fumes are something!

• karenbhambrecht
    6 years ago

I don't know why people think the Bbb does anything, they don't. Consumer affairs are the agency that you need to get in touch with when your having a problem with a manufacturer. They are fined at a very high rate especially if they have multiple complaints about the same thing. Bring up consumer affairs and they squirm, it's funny, especially be they think they're invincible. Consumer affairs baby, use them.

• karenbhambrecht
    6 years ago

Better busines bureau not bdd

• G O
    3 years ago

I just had custom shaker full overlay white lacquer cabinets installed. The wood cabinet doors look like they have a striping effect to them - "blue white" with "whiter white" in a vertical strip, as if the finish spray was not overlapped enough. My cabinet maker explains it as "seeing the wood paneling (?) through the lacquer because it is not a lacquer and not a painted finish". I'm a newbie here and have no idea but the end result doesn't seem right to me. Why would a solid wood door have panel strips? Is that how doors are made? Why would enough of a coat of white lacquer still what'sallow underneath to show through? Can someone help explain if this is "normal" for a white lacquer finish or if I should insist it should be corrected?