Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carrara backsplash pattern for our 1920's home?

Posted by newhomeowner2011a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 1:24

Our kitchen remodel includes new soapstone apron front sink and counter tops, light grey cabinets, stainless appliances, glass knobs (matching the door handles in our home) - it is small U-shaped kitchen in 1920's home with approx 30 sqft of backsplash needed.

We think Carrara marble would be a nice choice for our backsplash as we have it in our bathroom and love it and it has both grey and black to tie together the counter tops and cabinets - the big question...

Would you go for a brick pattern with 3x6 tiles or for a herringbone pattern with 1x2 tiles (comes on mesh)?

And we have a window over the sink with a few inches on each side between it and the cabinets as well as about 1.5' above the sink before the crown molding - would you tile up this wall as well? (it is the only wall in our kitchen sans cabinets so if not, we'd need to pick paint color)

Pls lend us your thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carrara backsplash pattern for our 1920's home?

Well, here is my carrara marble that I put up 1.5 years ago. And I still like it a lot. Mine is a tan color mixed with grays, but works with my cherry cabinets and the soapstone. I have 2x4 tiles that I cut apart from the mesh backing and rearranged into a herringbone pattern. I love herringbone so what can I say. I loved it as a kid. We wore much more wool back then, so I wore wool herringbone it when ever I could.

If you are doing this yourself be aware that doing what I did was fun but difficult because of the umpteen cuts. The running bond would be easier and the mosaics might be too, though when you get to the edges the individual tiles will need to be cut somehow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

As you can see I have a small kitchen, so not much counter space. I had considered running my tile up over one wall surrounding the door, to the right of the stove area, but decided to not do it because of caution and the fact that it took me about 3 hours per sq ft to install. I am a slow worker. Sometimes I think things went faster. Every time I would pick up steam with the installation there would be an edge or a corner that I would have to stop and may those diagonal cuts. But I enjoyed the process even with my complaining.

o

I used carrara marble in a herringbone pattern behind my stove in a niche alcove and I love it. I didn't use Carrara in the remainder of the kitchen, because I couldn't afford it and I'd already gotten a steal of a deal on 4x8 beveled subways. So, the Carrara was to complement my Carrara marble sink. I love the look.

You could always use it in herringbone to accent areas as well if you don't just want the subway pattern.

o

What about a different pattern?

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: 1826 Home

o

Enduring - you did an awesome job! We tiled and grouted (until we ran out) our fireplace today. What a job!

o

Motherof3sons, thanks for your complement. Your going to love your results when done. Its getting there that can be a little daunting.

Are you going to post a picture of it when ready? I'd love to see it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here