Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gale1965

How do you 'shave' the raised edge on a laminate countertop?

gale1965
10 years ago

We are thinking about getting a slide in range but our countertop is formica and has a raised 'drip' edge. It seems to be about 1/8" or so high and maybe an inch front to back. Anyway all of the instructions for slide in ranges I've seen say that this raised edge needs to be shaved in order for the overhang of the range to fit. What kind of tools would one use to shave this? Is there a certain technique? Tips?

Comments (12)

• User
    10 years ago

Not doable with laminate. Laminate is plastic over paper over particle board. They are talking about shaving a solid surface counter.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn-I was hoping we wouldn't have to buy new countertop. :( Thanks.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

You could probably tape everything off and very carefully use a fine hand saw to cut down from the top into the lip and then come in from the side where the range space is.

It will leave exposed particle board (which will end up under the edge of the lip on the slide-in).

I would try it first if the other option is to get new countertops anyway.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

duplicate

This post was edited by ineffablespace on Sun, Nov 10, 13 at 8:46

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

gale 1965:

You don't have to shave the counter. Just raise the feet of the range to clear the bump. The range flange will stick up the height of the bump, look funny, and catch crud, but at least you can use the range until you get new countertops.

If you want to shave the bump, buy a $99.00 router with a 1/4" collet and insert a double flute flush cut bit. Measure the distance between the outside edge of the bit and the router base. Using this dimension and the width you want to shave, calculate where to hot melt or clamp a straight edge to your countertop. Adjust the depth of the router, remembering you can always go deeper, push the router base against the straight edge and cut. It will be perfect.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. We don't want to do it if it's not a good idea-the countertop we have is new (long story about that) and we can use it in another area if we get a new one for this location. I told my husband and he said he'd rather just get the new countertop than to try this (he's not much of a DIYer).

so this week I will go to the local home center and talk to the kitchen designer to see about getting either two small countertops and a filler or a full size countertop with a cut-out.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Gale, once you shave it, you glue new laminate on right over the old, or have a friend or relative who's done it before do it, or even hire a handyman.

Why buy new counters that you would have to pay to cover with laminate and then pay to install when you already have counters to cover with laminate right there?

And you save money that can be used to choose the particular laminate you like best (within reason--the very newest patterns have their prices hiked up to over $200 for a 4x8 sheet just because they're new). There are some really good looking ones out there, plus a wide selection of stone looks you have to inspect to realize they're not real.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We would only be buying new for these cabinets so I have to buy the same pattern as the rest of the kitchen. These two pieces, if I bought them as 2 separate pieces, will cost about $150 total with the laminate on them. Since they're only going to be 30 and 33" we can install them ourselves (the cabinets are installed already but one will be moved over about 3 feet). If we did get a longer one with a cutout I'm not sure what that will cost-I'll have to price it this week. Or if we could install it ourselves.

We don't know anyone who can do this so if we couldn't do it ourselves, we'd definitely have to hire someone.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Well, to recap. You could install new laminate over the entire kitchen, yourselves then, and by the end you'd certainly know how to do it. The big secret would be renting good, sharp tools to do the cuts well. Since you asked.

There's no one answer for all of us - mercifully. Enjoy your new slide-in stove.

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks. The kitchen is actually brand new-we just ran into some problems fitting our wall oven so we decided to go with a slide in instead. So we aren't really wanting to redo all of the laminate just yet. Someday when I save my pennies I'd love to get a better type of countertop (ours is the lowest end formica). Maybe by then this one will need replaced. lol.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

Why not get a freestanding range instead of the slide in? Your choices of range are much broader, and the counters can remain with the hump at the edge. Just a thought...

• gale1965
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want a range with the controls on the front and the only ones I could find that were freestanding were the GE Cafe for more money than we wanted to spend on one. We have to get new countertopss no matter what. What we have now is one big 8' countertop. We checked around and it costs about the same to get two small countertops as it would to have someone cut and finish the countertop ends.

We ordered a Samsung slide-in tonight and tomorrow I'll go talk to the KD and figure out new counter tops. I can use the old one in my sewing room.