Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandasplit_gw

Please critique my layout!

amandasplit
11 years ago

About to purchase cabinets and now that I've found this forum I'd really love to get feedback before we commit. I don't know if original layout matters but we're opening up the wall on the right into the family room and are trying to make the kitchen and FR more integrated. Currently, the sink and stove are on the far left of the kitchen and there's no island.

Oh - also - All cabs on left wall and uppers on fridge wall are white, island and lower cabs on fridge wall and peninsula are dark chocolate. Is that crazy?

Thank you SO much in advance!

Comments (7)

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

will the vent hood repositioned to the hallway wall be any issue as far as cost/efficiency and function as opposed to leaving the cooktop where it was? I might prefer the fridge on the 129 inch wall with a small sink, as I picture an easier straight line for people coming from family room or in from sliding door then to get things. With a 2nd sink on that wall, I'd then locate the smaller main sink along the L,thereby freeing the small island for straight counter run...perhaps put an oven and microwave drawer there...I'd put the sink, fridge and range or cooktop on the main walls....I'd prefer counter only on island and a range might be better than cooktop/ovens in this kitchen.With all the light coming in and with doors and access to family room,I'd create an open end of the island with no cabs or appliance and situate some small stools around, that can be tucked under when not in use...people would be drawn to that location..

• amandasplit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the feedback!! The hood shouldn't be an issue as we will vent up straight through the roof. We originally had the sink on the L but I was worried that it would be really messy and that's essentially the first thing you see when you walk up the stairs to get to the main floor of the house. I also had the fridge on the 129" wall but an architect we spoke with (didn't end up hiring one) suggested that we will go crazy between the sink and fridge if they are so far away. (At the time the sink was in the L so we could face the family room). You are making me rethink all of this, which is great - the only issue is I really hate the idea of two sinks, I don't know why! But also the issue with two sinks is we are on a slab foundation (steep hill so you enter the house on a lower level, walk up the stairs to the slab) and putting in two sinks will require digging into the concrete twice, which would be a few extra thousand dollars. One thing I should mention, the current kitchen has a window on the left that we are replacing with a sliding glass door. The sink is now under that window.

Now I am rethinking my island sink though, we have gone back and forth about this for months.

Thank you again for your feedback!

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

For one sink then I'd be inclined to leave it on the Left side-take it from the window spot to the 129 in wall,along with either fridge or cooktop-keep the L shape to the left side,maybe add another window near the old kitchen sink window if you want the glass and view out. Move the range along hallway wall a bit to the left and the triangle should be fine.You get a great long run along the hallway wall and down across peninsula stretch. The 2 things I wouldn't care for is the sink marooned in the small island and a 2nd patio door.....I wouldn't fear about the sink along the left wall with the deeper sinks and a good dishwasher....the "clutter" issues are eradicated with different sinks and hi performance dishwashers.

• maggieq
    11 years ago

However you end up with your layout, ditch those lower pullouts/doors and change to drawers....you can't have too many drawers.

• amandasplit
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Herb, the layout you suggested is almost what we have now funny enough. The only reason we are changing is to try and move more of the "work" areas toward the family room so the cook an person cleaning can be more involved with the little ones in the family room. So you're thinking the issue is it will be too cluttered between island and stove? Let me think about that.

Maggie, I know everyone here is crazy about drawers, I will add some more in, perhaps on the peninsula L wall. I like roll out trays so I can see what I have stacked but If everyone loves the drawers, it must be for a good reason.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

'I like roll out trays so I can see what I have stacked but If everyone loves the drawers, it must be for a good reason.'

There is a very good reason - why open a door before you pull out a drawer when you don't have to? That's what you do with ROTS. You can see what you have in a drawer too - when you open it - lol!

We've had numerous threads on drawers vs ROTS.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

Not exactly cramped but the sink on the small island doesn't have enough space around it.When you are working at a counter run doing prep or cleanup-there is a side to side maneuver-the bowl/spatula/drippings,crumbs/scraped things get pushed over near/into sink.When dishes that are stacked come in they get scraped and set at the sink area then down into dishwasher or into sink for wash then back onto counter for drying/etc. All of those activities at this island with no extra depth ,needing to cross the aisles and having only 24 or 27 in available is not feasible. If it must be situated here-reduce one side to 18 in and grow the other to 33 in. With that adjustment and moving fridge or range back over to 129 in wall, will then expand the counter behind the sink position which would help if you want to keep the sink there.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals