Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stiles_gw

Plugmold-Do these replace outlets in backsplash?

stiles
16 years ago

Today the electrician came and as I was walking my kitchen just now I noticed two outlets in my backsplash on either side my main sink. I also have electrical wired for plugmolds beneath my cabinets flanking the main sink. Am I wrong for assuming the plugmolds would replace outlets in my backsplash? I am ready to fire off an email to my contractor and want to be sure. Thanks

Melinda

Comments (9)

• jraz_wa
    16 years ago

Plugmold should be replacing them unless there is an area where plugmold can't provide the outlet as required by code, and an outlet in the backsplash is needed instead. Where I am, any point on the back edge of the counter (except sink/cooktop) has to be 24" or less from an outlet. But it sounds like your cabinets are right next to your sink - and the plugmold will go to the edges of those, I assume? If so, you should be good. Did he install outlets where switches should be?

• sweeby
    16 years ago

In your case, I'd definitely ask why he put the outlet boxes in --

But as a rule, I like a few low-mounted outlets in addition to Plugmold. Why? Because small appliances that live on the countertop generally stay plugged in, and Plugmold leaves those cords visible behind the appliances. If you have a dedicated appliance area, a low-mounted wall outlet disappears behind the appliance.

• jeri
    16 years ago

I canÂt see the need for both in the same area. If you made the decision for plugmold than you probably made the decision that you donÂt want outlets in your backsplash.

Maybe plugmolds are new to this guy so he is doing what he always does (outlets in the backsplash) on top of what you asked?

Maybe those outlets are for light switches or disposal switches? Which could be moved somewhere else???

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

I agree w/ sweeby on having a few STRATEGICALLY PLACED (strategically placed by YOU) wall-mount outlets for appliances that stay out. Like the toaster and the coffee maker.

But not just slapped bang in the middle.

For one thing, I'd want them to be LOW DOWN. They are not artwork; they shouldn't be centered.

And I'd want them as close as possible to wherever it was *I PLANNED* to put the coffee maker or toaster or stand mixer.

(Note; My stand mixer is plugged into the Plugmold; the mixer is tall enough that it completely hides the cord)

• Fori
    16 years ago

And certainly NOT by the sink! Great place for appliance use....not!

• plllog
    16 years ago

Is there GFI plugmold?

• sweeby
    16 years ago

You can GFI the whole circuit - That's what we did.

If the boxes are for a disposal switch, that can be replaced by an airswitch (great invention, those), or by a low-profile box mounted into the recess at the bottom of your cabinet.

• talley_sue_nyc
    16 years ago

If you mention GFI'ing the whole circuit by using a GFI circuit breaker, electricians often say, "it's more expensive!" as if somehow it's the end of the world.

But it's like $60 per circuit breaker, or something. (it can be more; a 50A one can run over $120). Which is somewhere like $50 to $40 more expensive than an ordinary breaker.

Not enough to make me decide not to do it.

You can also install a GFI outlet or switch as the first junction box in the circuit, and that takes care of the whole thing.

• stiles
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your responses. I talked with my GC this morning and he said due to code I needed to have these outlets. My cabs are about 36" away from the sink so they are too far away. However, I do wish I was consulted on where to put the outlets on the backsplash. They are under a windowsill, so not too bad. We have lights in the kitchen for the first time since July!!
    Melinda