Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maydl

Maydl's 99% Finished Kitchen

maydl
15 years ago

Finally, photographs! Here is a link to my Photobucket album:

http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii182/maydeleh/

I turned on all the lights in the kitchen when I was taking the pictures, and all that "warm white" light turned all the colors more golden than they really are. The "truest" colors are in the face-on photograph of the TV/Bar. The walls are a light peach, and all the tile is very much in the terracotta-to-red tones, not golds and oranges as in some of the pictures.

The kitchen is 99% finished because there is still no window treatment above the sink, and we need a new breakfast table and chairs and new furniture for the sunroom.

Here are details (some of these items are not in the pictures):

Cabinets: DeWils Horizon Line / Door Style: Triton Cherry / Stain: Autumn Cherry

Dishwasher: KitchenAid #KUDS03FTPA (panel ready)

Range Top: Wolf #RT366 (6 unsealed burners, black knobs)

Range Hood: Zephyr "Cyclone" #AK6542 (stainless finish)

Refrigerator/Freezer: KitchenAid #KSS042FTX (42-in. built-in SxS, non-dispensing, panel ready)

Double Wall Ovens: GE Monogram #ZET2PMSS (electronic convection)

Floor Tile / Backsplash Tile: Ceramiche Provenza "Cotti dEremo" (Color: Calore)

Door: Jeld-Wen Siteline EX Clad French Door

Faucets: PricePfister "Parisa" Contemporary Pullout Spray #53470SS

Soap Dispensers: Keeney Manufacturing Premium Soap/Lotion Dispenser #K612DSSS

40-inch LCD Television: SONY "Bravia" #KDL-40V2500

Cleanup Sink: Ticor #112

Prep Sink: Oliveri #430U

Garbage Disposals: InSinkErator Evolution Compact

Air Switch (Satin Nickel Finish): InSinkErator SinkTop Switch

Stone Fabricator: R.C. Tile and Marble, Salinas, CA

Countertop Granite: Dakota Mahogany

Island Marble: Honed Rojo Alicante

Under-cabinet Lighting: W.A.C. Builder Series T-5 Fluorescent Light Bars (Bronze)

Over-cabinet Lighting: Juno Fluorescent Undercabinet Fixtures (White)

Pulls/Knobs: Amerock "Forgings" (Pyramid Pull #BP4428-RBZ / Knob #BP4429-RBZ)

Appliance Pulls: Top Knobs M857-8 and M857-18 (Old English Copper)

Paint Color for Walls: Benjamin Moore #HC-54 Jumel Peachtone

Paint Color for Roof Beams and Headers: Benjamin Moore #2095-10 Adirondack Brown

Electrical Wall Plates: Art Deco Step (Mottle Antique Copper)

Pantry Door Hanger: Johnson Hardware 2610F Pocket Track & Hanger Set

Countertop Microwave Oven: Panasonic #NN-T945SFX

Wine Cooler: Vinotemp #VT26

Sunroom Wall Sconces: Kichler "Ashton" Two-Light Bath Fixture, #5220CST

Pendant Fixture Over Sink: Kichler "Ashton" Island Three-Light Incandescent, #3810CST

Pantry Door: T.M Cobb #402, 1-3/8" True Louver, Pine

Low-Voltage Track Heads For Island and Ridge Line Beam: W.A.C. #JHT-826-BK

Low-Voltage Monopoint Canopy Over Dining Table: W.A.C. #ME-826-BK

Undersink Trash Pullout: Peter Meier 12" Double Bin Trash Can, 27 qt., #PM-TR1608

Counter Stools: Trica "Bill II" (Finish: Copper / Fabric: Intrigue)

Comments (29)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Maydl, I love your colorful tile floor in your kitchen. I also love the way you incorporated the 10" LCD Tony TV (I would love one of these one day just in my home since the Bravia's picture is incredible) TV in the kitchen making it look like it belongs there and is beautiful also. The kitchen looks cozy and is really a wonderful transformation.

Hope the links helps others view your kitchen by just clicking it instead of copying and pasting your link to their websites. I learned that to put the link in, one has to be in the preview mode so that the optional Link URL comes up. I wish GardenWeb would fix this.

Thanks for Sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

P.S. Now that I have the link to click, I want to add that I love your Super Susan and wish I had that than the cheap lazy Susan I have. I love the pull out drawers. I love the sun room with that same beautiful tile. I also adore your backsplash tiles. Thanks for all the great ideas for the future and for giving me "eye candy" viewing your beautiful kitchen.

• elizpiz
    15 years ago

Maydl, your kitchen is absolutely beautiful. I love all that natural light and the high ceilings. The wood complements it so well. So many great details - but what really caught my eye was the great switch plates!

Congratulations and happy cooking.

Eliz

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Love the combination of your different stones in both the counters and the floor and backsplash. The warm colors are so inviting and comfortable. Makes you want to come over for a cup of coffee and sit down and watch the food network on your new TV and enjoy the warm light from your skylight. Great job on a beautiful kitchen.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen--love the island countertop and your flooring!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, filled with light and yet still warm and inviting. That bi-level island is to die for.

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

Wow - your kitchen turned out great. I love all the colors together - its a very warm space and you have such a beautiful view outside as well. You have good taste! I even liked your old kitchen too!

• rnest44
    15 years ago

That sunroom looks like a wonderful place to spend time. The new back splash and counter tops change the feel of the whole space. That island top is just 'wow'! So much new to enjoy.

Lynn2006: thanks for the link

• rhome410
    15 years ago

That's WONderful! And I love how you set up the photos so we can go from before to after and really appreciate the difference, which is astounding. Enjoy!

• maydl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your kind and generous comments on my new kitchen.

lynn2006: The idea for the shelves around the TV came from an old photo of Martha Stewart's kitchen:

The major purpose of the shelves is to hide the wiring behind the TV when it's pushed back against the wall (it's on a full-extension mount that rotates such that the TV can be seen from both ends of the room).

Thanks, too, for inserting the link. I still don't understand how to do it. What is "preview" mode? Is it in PhotoBucket or GardenWeb?

elizpiz: The copper switchplates are from www. switchhits.com.

downsy: The old kitchen dated from the original 1979 build by the previous owner. Their layout was so efficient that we barely changed it, except to move the cooking surface from the island to an outside wall so that it could be vented properly.

owls4me: Yes, we love the new, more open sunroom space. We sit there now whenever we can. The old sunroom had devolved into the dog's room, and we barely used it.

rhome410: I set up the photos using PhotoBucket's new "Organize" feature that lets you drag and drop album images anywhere you want them in the final queue.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

It's really pretty and the best before/after photos evah.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

Maydl,

I think the only reason why the whole Kitchen Forum has yet to smother you with all the congratulations you deserve is because they haven't yet clicked on the link to see this thread and/or your photos! (To tell you the truth, I almost missed it myself). There's no way one can look at your kitchen transformation and not be totally wowed. It's gorgeous! On top of it, the combo of space, color and light make it so warm and inviting. And, the pottery collection? Fantastic! Heck, forget about 2 thumbs up. This kitchen calls for two hands, two feet, whole body up in excitement! Very well done!

• maydl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, bemorepanic and marthavila!

Marthavila, the "pottery collection" above the cabinets and on the display shelves is actually all Middle Eastern metalwork--mostly brass and copper, with a few pieces in bronze. There are a few nonmetal pieces somewhere in there (I think above the TV), but the rest is metalwork that is begging to be cleaned and polished. After we moved back into the kitchen, we just didn't have the oomph.

I'm sorry I still haven't figured out how to insert a live link to my PhotoBucket album, but lynn2006 kindly did that for me in her first post, directly after mine.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

maydl...wow love your whole space! It looks like it was
    pretty nice before and you tailored it just right to fit your family!
    Your backsplash is really cool...great job, congrats and enjoy!
    vic

• maydl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, vic! You're right. The kitchen--at least the cooking part--worked really well before; that's why we didn't change the layout much. But everything in it was starting to fall apart, and remodeling was our chance to incorporate the latest must-haves, like loads of full-extension drawers. Those two improvements alone--nearly all drawers AND full-extension--have made a quantum change in how we use and enjoy our new kitchen.

• morton5
    15 years ago

Maydl, I had such fun looking at all your before and after pics. Your kitchen is gorgeous-- thanks for sharing. I love how you opened up the space and the warm finishes you chose. Beautiful!

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

GREAT kitchen. So warm. Love the floor, the backsplash, everything. Quite unique.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

So beautiful, warm and inviting. Just gorgeous!

• maydl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Morton5, jeannie_kitchen, and mustbnuts: Thanks for your kind words. Putting in all those warm colors was quite a stretch for us, because we are one of the most color-averse couples you'll ever meet (all the other walls in our house are off-white!). But we knew we wanted and needed to warm up the big, combined kitchen/sunroom space, and we both loved the terracotta color family, so I guess it worked!

• ramses_2
    15 years ago

Oh Maydl, it's so warm and lovely. Just gorgeous! You know I love, love the marble, but your colors are so inviting and I really love your accent pieces on top of the cabs ....are they greek? They really do something for the ambiance of the rooms, very nice touch.

Hey, maybe you could get a large pashima scarf to use when company comes to protect the marble. Might look rather chic and no one would need to know you were protecting your marble baby.

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

hello, it is technically off topic but I must know more about the beautiful Middle eastern pitcher/ewer collection in your kitchen--it is quite magnificent. I am enamored of all things middle eastern and turkish and anatolian and have quite the eclectic collection of textiles and ephemera. Can you tell me more about them, where and when they were made and how you came to acquire them.
    Thanks you!

• maydl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ramses, I so appreciate your response. I never would have thought of a pashmina shawl as a table covering. What a great idea! Right now we're using eight wooden placemats side by side on top of a sheet of plastic--it looks barely OK to me, yet guests are intrigued by the look, go figure. We're in the market for an oriental rug for the sunroom, and the colors of that rug will drive the "palette" for the rest of the furniture and window coverings still to be purchased. Your idea about the shawl could be perfect to carry out the theme of the oriental rug. Thanks!

Missopinion47: I don't think your question is off topic because, after all, you're asking about the decoration of our new kitchen! Most of the items in our collection of Middle Eastern metalwork (what's in the kitchen is just a fraction) are Persian in origin. We're uncertain of the ages of the pieces, so some might be old enough to actually be "Persian", and others are probably just new enough to be Iranian. On many of them there is calligraphy in Farsi or Arabic that we have yet to have translated. We also have pieces from Syria, Tunisia, and Morocco, and maybe some other countries we're not even aware of. Very few of them were purchased overseas. We bought most of them at antiques stores all over the United States. Also in our collection are lots more metal trays like the ones hanging on the walls in the kitchen, as well as inlaid wooden boxes, and Persian miniature paintings. We started collecting these items because we felt more comfortable with them than with more mainstream paintings or sculpture.

• busybme
    15 years ago

Really lovely space, maydl! Enjoy your new kitchen!

Sandy

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

Thank you for the information on the metalwork, It is stunning and unique and personalizes the space in ways I do not often see. Kudos to you for presenting your collection in such a lovely way that your kitchen and other spaces are marked as "yours." I find the shapes very evocative of another place and time--Bravo!

• maydl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sandy, we are!

Missopinion47, glad the information on our metalwork was interesting to you. You've given me reason to want to clean and polish it again!

• chefkev
    15 years ago

Congrats! It turned out beautiful.

• maydl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chefkev, coming from you, that is high praise, indeed. Thanks!

• starpooh
    15 years ago

Hi maydl -
    May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?..... We can always update the photos after you've added the window treatment above the sink. :-)
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist so I can easily categorize your kitchen.
    Thank you!

• maydl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, starpooh, for the link. What a classy questionnaire! I've submitted the form.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz