Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgopp

Thanksgiving dinner ideas

jgopp
11 years ago

I know this is OT, but I am hosting a thanksgiving dinner party for my friends (as has been tradition for some years now). I am wondering if there are unusual ideas for decorating or types of dishes you guys serve? I am having the traditional stuff like turkey, potatoes, gb casserole, creamed onions, and what not. But I was wondering if you guys have any special ideas you do in your home which I could incorporate to my dinner to spruce things up.

Comments (8)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

Try the Cooking Forum -- there are some talented cooks/artists over there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking Forum

• annac54
    11 years ago

We usually have a sweet potato casserole with a crunchy pecan topping instead of the marshmallow thing. Also popular is a wild rice dish with mushrooms, almonds, and onions.

Try the holiday forum for decorations. Some wild stuff there, but lots of good ideas you can easily adapt for your own situation.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

a few non pumpkin pie lovers around here: one year-a platter of bars,as in lemon bars/date bars/rasberry shortbread/etc.....another year:chocolate whiskey cake....Tried crock pot stuffing once to make things easier on"day of"....this year doing make ahead and freeze corn bread muffin stuffing mix recipe and I'm looking for another make ahead and freeze item as well. I think I'm a little more "on the fence" with regards to pumpkin/mashed potatoes than I used to be, but love the sweet potatoes and stuffing category.I tried to slip the pumpkin into pumpkin bread once-couldn't entice-but that was probably healthier for the others to devour than a whole pumpkin pie left by the pumpkin-averse crowd.Sigh.

• Linda
    11 years ago

Pinterest.com has lots of great ideas for food, decorating, etc.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

About a hundred years ago I made a puff pastry cornucopia. I have directions from a magazine I cut out. I googled it for you, here is a link to just one. It is fun and if done right it really looks pretty. You can put rolls in it for dinner. I remember (even though it was a hundred years ago) that the guests were very impressed. Of course that was the year I became the trendsetter when I accidentally cooked the turkey upside down and everyone said it was the best turkey they ever had...who knew it was a good thing and now people actually do it on purpose....sorry, back to the cornucopia.....

Here is a link that might be useful: puff pastry cornucopia

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

My theory is that the only Right way to do Thanksgiving dinner is the way your Mom did it. My mother-in-law made cornbread stuffing with giblets one year. OMG! That is not the way it is done! I never even heard of Green Bean casserole until I was grown, and your mention of creamed onions is the first I've ever head of that, Thanksgiving or otherwise. We generally stick with peas and carrot and celery sticks. As an adult I did contribute a sweet potato casserole to the menu (no marshmallows!) and we added Mince Meat Pie to the menu for my husband, sons, and BIL. I also do an apple pie for those who don't care for either pumpkin or mince. We always have olives, but they frequently appear on the table half gone due to all the snitchers.

A memorable conversation with my daughter many years ago:

DD (watching me make dinner): Why don't you make good dinners like Grandma?
    Me: What do you mean? What does Grandma make that's better than this?
    DD: You know, turkey and mashed potatoes and gravy.

• chicgeek
    11 years ago

Oh, that puff pastry cornucopia brought back memories... many years ago when we hosted our "one and only" both sides of the family dinner I made one too and it was quite a hit. I wasn't the most experienced cook then and by the time people started arriving I realized other than the cornucopia the table was bare. I had a bushel of 20 oz. apples, so I cored out a dozen of them and put tea lights in them. I put them in a line down the center of the long table and dimmed the lights. They looked great and the house smelled like baked apples. You would have thought Martha Stewart had swooped in!

• camphappy
    11 years ago

So this might not be kitchen reno related but I just discovered roasted brussel sprouts. I have never liked brussel sprouts but there is something about roasting them in the oven (salt/pepper/olive oil - 400 degrees x 30 min.) that makes them delicious. Very easy for Thanksgiving.