Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamiecrok

Which single bowl sink to go with?

jamiecrok
12 years ago

SO I have recently decided that a single bowl sink will be great in my new kitchen. I don't know much about the different brands but it seems like the Franke and Lowes is resonably priced and I have found the Blanco 511-652 online for a similar price. Any suggestions? I want one that I can put a grid in the bottom.

I have read some reviews that have warned against under mounting the sink since they can crack (the composite which is what we want as we had a composite double bowl in our last house and loved it). If it cracks how do you handle that with granite or is it best to just top mount it and not have to worry about replacing it in the future. Speaking of which, is it wise to undermount ANY sink due to the difficulty to replace, or is it easier to replace than I imagine?

Any insight on brands and undermount vs. top mount is appreciated!

Comments (14)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Are you wanting stainless? Is Blanco silgranit a possibility?

• jamiecrok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We want the composite style, not stainless. I think the Blanco silgranit is the same thing as a composite. We will have a 36'' base cabinet and want the largest sink we can get for that size. The two I found are around 33'' and I think that would be AWESOME! Our budget is around $300, which I know is on the lower end of the single bowl composite sinks.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

Any House Brand composite sink in any Big Box hardware store will be one you will go well with.

• alwaysfixin
    12 years ago

I disagree with Davidro1 (David, please do not flame me). I believe Blanco Silgranit is a better composite sink than other composites on the market. I looked at many before purchasing the Silgranit Blancoprecis Super Single. The look and "feel" of the Silgranit was noticeably superior to my eyes. Blanco has a number of patents and proprietary technology. I remember looking online at HD at other brands' composite sinks, and the other brands had pretty bad reviews. We have had our Silgranit sink installed for over a year now, and it is fantastic. We have the anthracite color, which looks sharp, and never seems to look dirty. I will never go back to stainless steel, and in any future kitchen, I will have Silgranit sink. Just MHO.

Regarding your question about cracking, as far as I know, any cracking that occurs in a Silgranit sink occurs before installation, typically during shipping. There is no reason why undermounting would cause cracking, unless the crack was there before installation. There have been many threads on this forum about how important it is to buy a Silgranit sink from a reputable website. We bought ours from homeandstone, and it arrived packed so well, it was completely inert, and in perfect condition upon arrival. BTW, we wanted the Silgranit Blancodiamond you linked, with its excellent corner drain, but couldn't fit that size, so we went one size down to the Blancoprecis, and we are quite happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blanco's Description of Silgranit

• alwaysfixin
    12 years ago

In my previous post, I meant also to link the sink 511-652 you cited in your OP. At this website, it is $380, which is over your $300 budget, but it's free shipping and no sales tax, so maybe it can squeak by for you. Also note that Blanco re-did their model numbers, so 511-652 is now 440194.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silgranit Blancodiamond Super Single

• eugenie11
    12 years ago

Here's some advice I wish I'd had before my sink was installed (which was yesterday - I cooked my first meal in my new ovens! Still don't have cooktop, but I couldn't do anything without a sink!)

I have an undermounted Blanco stainless 10" x 30" single bowl - sorry I don't know the model number, it was ordered with the granite - and the very knowledgable saleswoman said "Get it deep, you'll never see your dirty dishes."

Well, I washed my first load of dishes after dinner and... Oh, my aching back! I had no idea the depth mattered, and it's even deeper than 10" because it's undermounted. I put the grid in to raise the bottom somewhat - but I wish I'd gotten 9". And it can't be taken out. Ugh.

• Lake_Girl
    12 years ago

alwaysfixin - I like the sink you linked to. I was thinking of SS but this looks perfect. Which color most resemble a SS look, or do you know. I'm afraid of white. I've had a white sink for 14 years and it's a pain to keep clean (not to mention hard water stains.) Thanks!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Here's my new Blancoprecis super single in metallic gray. Looks an awful lot like stainless to me. This pic makes it look more taupe, but it's gray IRL.

I also disagree with David about all composite being the same. I was told, without even asking about composite sinks, by two different people who deal with composite sinks that Blanco is the best. My fabricator said that people who don't like their composite sinks or who complain about cracking are folks who got a cheap knockoff.

Double bowl Blancos are more likely to arrive with a crack from shipping. It happens at the divider. A couple people here have had what could be hairline cracks in the bottom of theirs due probably to shipping damage. Still, I agree they are the best out there. The feel underhand of Blancos is far better to me than anything else I've touched. Very high quality.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

eugenie11 -- check the reach of your faucet -- are you bending inward to reach the water stream? If so, it may be your faucet and not the sink depth that is the bigger problem. I know I only scrub a few things sitting on the bottom of the sink, but I am reaching under the water all the time -- even when not washing dishes. You can also get a grid for the bottom of your sink to raise the sitting level of dishes an inch and protect the bottom from scratches. My sink is 10" deep and undermounted nad I am 5'12" -- don't have a problem with the deep sink.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

We got this model in biscuit and love it! Offset drain is awesome. We also have a 36" base cabinet and a 33" sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: blanco 33

• jamiecrok
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brianadarnell what color is your granite?!? That looks so pretty! I have found the Blanco Diamond Super Single at Home Depot for around $300, it seems like that may be the way to go for easy return if it is damaged in shipping (my local store doesn't have it in stock so I would have to order it).

We also found a Delta Leland pulldown sprayer faucet at the Depot as a closeout for $61. I think it should work ok for the depth of the sink, hopefully the sprayer will reach that far!

• eugenie11
    12 years ago

Yes, lascatx, I AM reaching farther to my faucet. And deeper to scrub my pots and pans, even after putting in the grid, which helped. I'm thinking maybe I just need time to adjust to these slightly new positions, like I had some kind of muscle-memory for the dimensions of the old sink and I just have to get used to these new coordinates. The littlest things are so complicated! Also trying to get used to much weaker water pressure in my hot water - the sprayer has more pressure than the hot water tap! - but my contractor said nothing to be done about that... Don't like to complain...

• cj47
    12 years ago

I have the Blanco supersingle with the offset drain, in anthracite and I LOVE it. Mine is topmounted, in a 36 inch cabinet. It is very deep and it can house a lot of dirty dishes awaiting their turn in the dishwasher without making the kitchen look cluttered. The offset drain means I can put a dishpan on one side to do miscellaneous handwashing and rinse on the other side without blocking the water flow. By the way, my dishpan has "handles" on it that rest on the front and back of the sink, raising it up about 3 inches and making it more comfortable to use. I hadn't planned for that, but it's the way it worked out and it's nice. The dishpan usually lives under the sink and only makes rare appearances. I love the size of this sink, it fits my biggest turkey roaster and cookie sheets without a problem. I have the grid, and like it. Silgranit is awesome stuff, so easy to keep clean. Bought mine at Homeperfect.com, on a holiday weekend with a little more of a discount and got a great price and very fast shipping. I purchased a few more items from them after the sink, and it's always been a good experience.

Cj

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

I would love to try Silgranit but can't find a large single to fit in a 30" base.....also don't get why manufacturers don't make more offset drains, both left and right. I am going from a left offset drain top mount white enamel to center drain SS......wish there were more options...had I known I would have gotten a 33 or 36 inch base...