Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbsdesk

Kitchen stovetop dangerously postioned

barbsdesk
9 years ago

I need some input/ideas
We've signed a lease and are moving into a rental house where we expect to be for the next several years - and I've just realized the kitchen has a serious flaw. This open-backed stove with no counter space behind it is dangerous! A grandchild (or careless adult) could be seriously injured.

Short of backing up an antique buffet (I have one that that will fit) to keep the area behind the stovetop out of easy reach - does anyone have any affordable DIY ideas?

Thanks

Comments (14)

• practigal
    9 years ago

Search the web on the term "stove guard" there are quite a number of products made for this exact purpose.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

And the photo of the offensive area is................?

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

You would not want to place anything flammable against the back of the range. Nothing closer than at least 6", unless it's fireproof. So, unless that buffet is made out of stainless steel, keep it away from there. The best thing might be a portable standing screen made from metal that could be folded against the back of the range when it was in operation, and be decorative when not needed. Maybe make one out of copper plumbing pipe, copper roof flashing, and wire to whipstitch fasten the sheeting to the pipe frame.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Is it possible to build a narrow table (10 to 12 inches) that would back up to the stove? Top it with a piece of stone or ceramic tiles.
    Or you could attach a small narrow counter top to the back of the cabinets. Talk to the landlord if you decide to attach it to the back of the cabinets on either side of the stove. Maybe he will split the cost. It would be an improvement if you have the room.

• eam44
    9 years ago

You're moving into an apartment that has a kitchen that is not to code anywhere, even Georgia. You don't have to do anything put pick up the phone and call your landlord.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Maybe the landlord would put back the wall that he took out?

• barbsdesk
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You all are so helpful! Thank you.

In reply,

it is a house, not an apartment.

It does look like someone took out the wall? Maybe began a remodel they didn't finish?

The buffet is shorter than the counter top on which the stove top is positioned - it could serve as a barrier, at least temporarily, to keep young hands away.

I am curious about whether this is indeed not to code and will research this.

• Fori
    9 years ago

I'd probably stick a metal baker's rack behind it. Will you still have space in the dining area if you put something there?

Even large a potted plant on the floor could keep people from getting too close. I suspect it won't be as bad as it seems once you get in there, but something on the floor to keep people from standing there is probably all you need.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I'm guessing there was a breakfast bar on the other side of that at one time.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

Could u put a piece of tempered glass behind it?

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Did anybody actually Google "stove guard?"

• Fori
    9 years ago

There's one kid that ought not be running around unsupervised.

• GauchoGordo1993
    9 years ago

No, am I remiss for not doing so?

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I once watched a photo shoot for a child safety outlet cover. The photographer had to train the kid to try to put his fingers in the sockets. When the shoot was over, his mom couldn't get him to stop. Good times.