Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

Our kitchen plans

worldmom
15 years ago

I don't know how to attach files yet, but hopefully this album link will work.

I am no pro at this; these are just drawings I made up on my Mac. I can't draw perspective to save my life (especially on those pesky side walls), but these, along with a lot of magazine clippings have helped our contractor understand what we're after. The funny little stick figure is my 6 foot tall hubby as a scale reference.

I posted the details in my first post, but here's a recap of what we have planned:

9.5 foot ceilings

stacked white shaker cabinets to ceiling

nickel hardware

soapstone countertops (maybe butcher block or honed marble on island)

oak floors

schoolhouse pendants

apron sink

honed carrara subway tile backsplash

stainless appliances, including Frigidaire "Twins," 36" gas cooktop, double wall ovens, built-in MW, DW

40" cabinet/serving area open to kitchen and dining room side

Along with the drawings, there is a floor plan showing where the kitchen, pantry/laundry and dining room are in relation to each other. I also included a picture of the front of our house so you can see where these spaces are. The box window on the left is the dining room, and to the left of that (the single window) is the office (on the blueprints as the "sewing room") that will become the pantry/laundry room.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen plans

Comments (5)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

You did very well with your drawings, and, for the most part, I love the look and like the ideas very much.

A couple thoughts:

1) Prep sink: To me, the prep sink isn't located well for use from the stove. For prepping and as a place to fill and drain pots, it's quite a trip. Do you not plan on using it for those purposes?

2) Stove and fridge relationship: The island is in the path from the stove to the fridge, which is worth putting some thought into. I'm thinking I'd prefer to swap the fridge/freezer set and the stove, but that wouldn't solve the problem of the island in between... What it would do is put the fridge and freezer in a place convenient to the dining room and for other easy access for those other than the cook, and take the stove out of the path through to the dining room.

Like I said, just my immediate observations.

Where does the doorway go that's by the oven?

• worldmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. :o) I'm chuckling over the suggestion to swap the fridge and freezer for the cooktop wall, because that's been the only source of significant disagreement between dh and I in this whole process so far. I wanted it as you suggested it for the reasons you listed. Our budget is our limitation here. There is already ductwork in place for venting the cooktop hood where we have it, and if we moved it to the other wall, we'd have to drill through the concrete and brick of the house/garage and have new ducts run. My dh was also worried about the view from the dining room being a "sea of stainless," whereas the cooktop wall is going to be something of a focal point. I'd still prefer to have it the other way, so maybe I'll work on him some more.

We can easily move the prep sink to the other end of the island, closer to the cooktop and ovens. Thanks for that suggestion. There will be a pot filler on the cooktop wall, but it will still be nice to have another sink nearby.

The doorway near the wall oven is a little side hallway that leads to the center hall. To the left (just behind the wall oven wall) is a powder room, and to the right (just behind the cooktop wall) is a coat closet. We had toyed with gutting that whole area and reconfiguring everything, but it just costs too much money. :o(

We really want to open up the dining room wall as much as possible since that will be our only eating area now (except for the 4-5 seats at the island), so I just don't know where else we could put things and still get everything we need in the kitchen. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I know the island is kind of an obstacle, but it's essential that we have one somehow. Without it, I just don't think we'll have enough cabinets and work surfaces. Again, if anybody has any ideas about how we can reconfigure things, I'm open to any suggestions. Just remember we're a family of 14, so sacrificing the large refrigeration, double ovens and large cooktops aren't options...

Did I mention our cabinet guy is on his way over to try to finalize things? Ugh.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

what if you swapped the frig/freezer with the desk area? It would put it closer to the DR and at least in a direct shot of the cooktop. Also wouldn't be this tall cabinet to your right when you walk in from the garage. Do you need a desk in there? If not, you could put your micro over there for easy access to warming frozen foods. That space could be used for toaster oven, coffemaker, snack area.

Which side are you planning the seating on? Family of 14? Wow!!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Good call, Malhgold...I hadn't even noticed that was a desk! I was assuming it was for the things as you mentioned.

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Just wanted to say I love your home. I reminds me of several in the town I grew up in. Good luck on your kitchen.