Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wilsonart HD Marble + Silgranit White Sink

Posted by ralphnaven (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 0:34

After a quote with granite came back too high we're now considering laminate for new countertops. We're leaning toward Wilsonart Calcutta Marble but we can't decide on a sink. I think we should go with a Blanco Silgranit sink in white but my wife thinks the Silgranit sinks look and feel a little "cheap". The other option would be stainless steel (we've looked at the Kohler Vault series) but I'm concerned about stains (we have hard water) and scratches. It's also nearly $300 more for the same size.

Does anyone have a silgranit sink with laminate countertops, specifically a light laminate with a white Blanco? I'd really love to see some pictures if you have them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wilsonart HD Marble + Silgranit White Sink

I love my Blanco Siligrant granite sink
Biscuit color

o

Your laminate quote, especially with the Wilsonart HD lines and a specialty edge, won't be that far from a basic granite. I've done kitchens that the granite was cheaper. Now, if you selected a more expensive stone than a basic stone, you probably will see significant difference between it and even a HD laminate. But, skip doing the ogee type edges and do a simple bullnose with a flat deck if you want the most reasonable quote with the most durability. The simple waterfall edge was done forever, but it's biggest issue is the exposed particle board along the edge. The bullnose edges wrap the laminate around the edge and cover it. So, no more water damage there!

o

We have a pretty simple counter run. It's basically 10'x24" with the back and two sides up against walls (the backsplash is going to be 3x6" white subway tiles right down to the laminate). We're doing a bullnose on the exposed front edge.

The quote for granite was about $2200. We haven't received the quote for the laminate yet but we're hoping it's lower. If they are within $500 we'll spring for the granite.

o

A single 10" run? What color granite did you pick? Sounds like something exotic where you have to buy the whole slab rather than be able to purchase just by the square foot used. A basic granite with a free edge and including an undermount sink from the fabricator would start at around $1300 here. The laminate, with the bullnose edge, would be around $700 (you purchase the sink, so $1100, apples to apples) . If you're talking 2 10' runs, then that price is sounding more accurate. That would be around $2400 here, with the laminate being around $1300 ($1700 with sink). (Location is the biggest determinant of pricing.) No plumbing reconnect or other auxiliary labor like old counter removal included on either. Those add up too, unless you can DIY them.

o

I put about 40SF of HD laminate in my father-in-laws house for free. The post form, underlayment, glue, and flat sheet ran him $168.00.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here