Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamarahl

Photos of my almost done White and Walnut kitchen/mudroom remodel

tamarahl
10 years ago

It's been a long, hard road, but the end is finally in sight! After all the hours of research I spent on this forum, I feel compelled to pay it forward. As some of you recall, I asked for advice on my floorplan many times and there were so many who responded, but I need to give a special shout out to rhome410 and bmorepanic who kept me sane and helped me fight my Kitchen Designer every step of the way ;-) Plus beekeeperswife, who chimed in many times with great ideas and kept me strong in the face of a ridiculous amount of stress and things going wrong on this project.

To give you a sense of how far we've come, this is the before shot

And After

And here is the kitchen from the West looking to the East

From the South looking to the North

And the North looking to the South, the grid windows in the sunroom were old, and I thought I could keep them.

But, we just installed these panes of clear glass, from Sunrise, and they make a huge difference.

New fridge and microwave wall

vs. the old fridge wall and microwave

We have dividers above the oven for cookie sheets, pizza stones, oversized serving trays, etc.

{{gwi:1970319}}

I put a drawer below the ovens for all of the GE Advantium Speed Oven's microwave and convection/oven trays, booklets, etc.

{{gwi:1970320}}

Here's our first meal we cooked in the newly remodeled kitchen. Braised short ribs. The induction cooktop is such a pleasure to use.

The backsplash behind the cooktop goes to the ceiling.

The Ticor Prep Sink I have is a knock off of the Kohler Stages, and I find it to be a really great design, especially with the Kohler Karbon faucet. The walnut cutting board was custom-made and fits and slides in the grooves of the sink, just like the colander that Ticor made.

{{gwi:1970324}}

The Ticor built in colander with my garden bounty

My Jenn Air Induction Cooktop has two bridge elements, which is nice when I want to use my cast iron griddle for pancakes, bacon, etc.

But, the corner chipped off about one week after it was installed, and no one knew how or why. I contacted Jenn Air, and they explained that the only way they are responsible is if the glass shatters due to thermal damage. This corner crack was clearly not near the thermal induction units, so I was SOL.

{{gwi:1970328}}

I decided the chipped corner was in addition to being ugly, dangerous, as it is very sharp. Since I did not know how fragile the glass corners would be on a replacement top, I opted for the Euro Stainless framed version when I replaced it.

{{gwi:1970330}}

I actually think it looks even better with the stainless steel, so I am trying to focus on the silver lining to this $500 cloud of unforeseen replacement.

This shows the 42 inch Side By Side Sub Zero, the orbital finish with marine edge stainless steel countertop and the two ovens, GE Advantium Speed Oven and Wolf E Series oven. I pored over A2Gemini's photo of the two ovens together, before I pulled the trigger and bought them both. So far, they have both been great!

Closer shot of the glass display with my sterling silver

The wine cooler has a bubbly chandelier next to it, from Overstock.com, which I love, as it reminds me of champagne and sparkling wine.

{{gwi:1970335}}

I decided to take advantage of the few inches I had to the right of the wine cooler, and put in these liquor pull outs

It is a miracle that I still have so many bottles left of wine and tequila after this remodel ;-)

Here is the cooktop wall, with seeded glass cabinets flanking the hood, and glass display to the left

The tile is by Sonoma Tilemakers, the Vihara Annica Silk, 1 x 4 inch complements the Mother of Pearl Quartzite countertops and the walnut countertops.

The Truffle Silgranite sink by Blanco also works well with the Mother of Pearl countertops.

This the view from the Living Room looking towards the sunroom, the sunroom stools are a great spot to watch all the kitchen happenings.

Close up of the 10+ foot long walnut countertop in the sunroom, overlooking the clean up sink and prep sink area.
{{gwi:1970342}}

And here is the view looking out to the backyard, the windows are new and make a huge difference with the space.

And the view from the kitchen's clean up sink towards the sunroom and living room, where I replaced the grid windows as well.

{{gwi:1970344}}

In the big island, directly across from the dishwasher and big clean up sink, I have large 36 inch long drawers that hold plates, bowls, tupperware, etc. I love not having to stack them on tall shelves.

="http:>

The top drawers are full of organizers for knives, kitchen gadgets, etc.

{{gwi:1970346}}

{{gwi:1970347}}

{{gwi:1970348}}

Perlick Fridge drawers in the smaller "entertaining island" have drinks, and the sink has a Reverse Osmosis, both are convenient to the bar area for making coffee in the morning.

Pantry between the breakfast bar and ovens.

I installed a Yellow Jacket central vacuum in the small island. There are vents to sweep up crumbs, under both islands, and it comes in handy across from the cat feeding area. The wood floors throughout the first floor are 5 inch wide rift and quartered solid white oak from Heidelberg Wood Flooring in Indiana.

Here is the drawer where I put the cat food, treats, and bowls.

The corner cabinet is made by creativewooddoors.com and makes me happy every time I open it to get something out as it is such an improvement over the old bermuda triangle that existed in my old kitchen in the exact same spot.

And the chandelier over the small island, close up so you can see the glass and the bubbles inside

Before this side of the kitchen was a lounge area

What an improvement! We sit here all day long, the walnut and white stools are from Overstock and are so comfortable.

The Wolf warming drawer is in the big island, and is directly across from the ovens. I put it there, so it is easily accessible for entertaining. I wanted the warming drawer to be close to my waist, so I would not have to bend over to reach stuff under the ovens when I have guests over.

The handles on all my cabinetry are Top Knobs, Princetonian model. I have plenty left over that I am looking to off load, if you are interested.

Spice drawer next to cooktop

Before, I had a desk and a pantry along the wall that goes under the back stairwell.

But, I really wanted a breakfast bar, an idea I got from Mick de Giulio. That is what I put under the stairs in my remodel:

Here is the appliance garage open with the toaster, juicer, etc. A marble sculpture of a pregnant woman, made by my late Mom, is on the countertop. I love having a piece of her in my kitchen! The cable boxes will be disappearing shortly, when I upgrade my receiver.

The trash pullout has recycling for paper and plastic as well as standard trash in front. Next to the clean up sink I have another pullout trash.

Charging drawer

Bread drawer with pull out walnut cutting board

My crystal behind the hutch glass doors is like art, I love how the glass sparkles, with the LED lights shining on them. I love having all of my Grandma's crystal on display. She would have loved it!

{{gwi:1970368}}

The punch of color on my sliding doors is Benjamin Moore's Warm Earth and I love what is behind the door: my MUDROOM with radiant heat tile floors!

And a utility closet for brooms, Swiffers, etc.

Closet doors in mudroom closed

And open, with storage on top and kids coats hanging on the bottom

Pull out baskets are great for holding sunscreen, gardening gloves, mittens, etc.

My stone countertops are Taj Mahal Quartzite, AKA Mother of Pearl Quartzite and are seemingly bulletproof. Taj Mahal countertops have cream, white, brown and gray in them, which tie together nicely the walnut and white cabinetry and the Revere Pewter paint on the walls.

Even rainy days are blissful in our new space.
{{gwi:1970376}}

Thanks for reading.

This post was edited by tl1969 on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 11:06

Comments (96)

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi a2gemini! Sorry, I have no clue what LED lights were used in my glass cabinet. You and CoCo are welcome to visit any time ;-)

My Wolf E-series was a display model, so I hope it will be trouble-free. So far, knock wood (walnut) it has been sans problems.

Thanks for all your kind words. And, if you speak to Lavendar Lass please tell her that I hope she has seen all my photos. She was so supportive of me in 2012 when I was struggling with my layout, I really want her to see the finished product.

Thanks,
    Tamara

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Those corner drawers are awesome. Do you know how they compare to the product by KornerKing? I really like your large prep sink -- the Ticor Prep sink. I wish I had space for one that large.

Gorgeous kitchen. Enjoy!

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I asked my cabinetmaker to install a KornerKing and I believe that is what I have. Neither my cabinetmaker or my kitchen designer had ever heard of such a thing, so they would not have had an alternate product to install. Plus, since KornerKing and creativewooddoors.com are both located in MN and there is a KornerKing logo lasered onto one of the doors featured on the website of the creativewooddoors I am pretty sure they are the same company.

Thanks for the compliment, OntarioMom.

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I used a lightly sanded grout, because that is what looks best with Vihara, according to my sales guy at Architectural Ceramics. He says the installer just needs to be careful with the install so he won't scratch the glass.

I hope that helps.

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

tl1969,

So helpful to hear KornerKing and Creativewooddoors are the same company as we had planned on KornerKing. It is great to hear you like your corner unit.

I have been thinking more about your Ticor Prep sink. Can you tell me the approx size? How do you like it? Do you find the accessories worth it?

Thanks again for sharing your pictures and inspiration.

Carol

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Ticor is a great sink. It is 30.5" x 17" x 10" deep. I love how the colander fits perfectly and the stainless steel platform makes a great spot for drying items. I believe it is also good for prepping raw meat since you can clean it thoroughly afterwards. My brand new custom walnut cutting board is gorgeous and makes the sink look like a work of art.

Truly, no complaints.

Happy I could reassure you about the KornerKing, it's ingenious!

Feel free to ask me any other questions, I love sharing my knowledge, especially if it can help others.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I just love your beautiful cabinets in the BM Chantilly Lace paint finish! I love your counters, your windows, your gorgeous 5" wide floors, your mud room, your kitty cats and how everything just looks so gorgeous together! Thanks for sharing.

• beekeeperswife
    10 years ago

Ok, I know I posted on this but I don't see it. Odd.

Anyway T, I know the struggles you went through during this project. I'm happy to see you are NOT in prison for any murders that easily could have occurred during the reno.

I love everything you did in there, and just knowing how happy it has made you and your family is so great to hear.

Again, no idea where my original post went.... (probably didn't hit "submit" like a ding dong)

Bee

• ott2
    10 years ago

Fantastic! I only wish you had finished your project before I started mine, as yours would have so quickly become part of my inspiration file!
    I have a question about your floors. Do you know what products have been used on your floors, or what the procedure was, that have allowed them to retain what looks like a matte finish? Our current crisis is our wood floors. Most of our new home has solid rift sawn white oak flooring. My DH is a "wood" guy, and it is very important to him that these beautiful floors, and the ceiling which is also rift sawn white oak, have a matte finish. The wood floor sub is working really hard with my DH to come up with something that he feels comfortable with using that is also matte. So far we have not hit on the right products. Looks like we will try a Bona commercial product early this week. Would you have any suggestions? Your floors are lovely, as is the rest of your kitchen!

• mjocean
    10 years ago

T,
    Your kitchen is gorgeous and very well planned out for organizing "kitchen gear". I love your choices.
    MJ

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I spent two years looking for the right hardwoods! Hated most of the plasticky-looking red oak floors in my neighborhood, and at the local flooring showrooms. I finally found the perfect floors at Heidelberg Wood Flooring, in Indiana; Ryan, their president is wonderful! He worked with me over several weeks to get the right finish on my 5 inch rift cut white oak floors. The finish is water based, feels great, and is easy to keep clean. Call Ryan at 219-241-4141.

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I spent two years looking for the right hardwoods! Hated most of the plasticky-looking red oak floors in my neighborhood, and at the local flooring showrooms. I finally found the perfect floors at Heidelberg Wood Flooring, in Indiana; Ryan, their president is wonderful! He worked with me over several weeks to get the right finish on my 5 inch rift cut white oak floors. The finish is water based, feels great, and is easy to keep clean. Call Ryan at 219-241-4141.

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

I probably missed this in another post but who makes the white barstools? I love them and your kitchen!!!

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    I bought them at Overstock.com and they are super comfortable! We eat all our meals on them. They clean up very easily due to the polyurethane fabric and my little ones can raise them to a comfortable eating height, due to the hydraulic lift.

• ott2
    10 years ago

Thank you for the floor information. I really appreciate your taking the time to share!

• KelinMD
    10 years ago

could you tell me more about how the central vac works? Is it like a dustpan in that you sweep dirt into it or does it have a hose? Thx.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

Wow-wee! Fantastic kitchen re-do. Everything is great. Really lovin' the kitchen stools, they look so comfy!

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's like a dustpan in the cabinets, you kick it to turn it on and flip a flap to close it. There is a Eureka Yellow Jacket in the cabinetry in the entertainment island that collects the dirt and dust.

• belabama
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I am jealous :)
    What do love the most about your new kitchen?
    If you could only have one sink which one would you have and how would you organize area around it?

Thank you for letting us see this gorgeous kitchen!

• zuluchung
    9 years ago

Are your pull handles from top knobs? Princetonian or pennington?

• kelleg69
    9 years ago

T, quick question. That trash pullout--how big is it? It is more than a normal base cabinet depth?? It is so great to have three cans in there. Would be ideal in my vacation kitchen. I would love to know more about it. Thanks!

• LE
    9 years ago

Tremendous success and sounds like a hard-won victory at that! Congratulations on the fabulous result. Hope you someday manage to get amnesia about the bad parts! ("High-maintenance" is code for "just do it my way and shut up!) Glad you didn't.

• agk2003
    9 years ago

incredible transformation! what size are your pulls?

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My pulls are by Top Knobs, and are the Princetonian, if I recall correctly. The 3 trash can pull out is very deep, I am not able to measure for 2 weeks, but will do so when I return home. Pulls vary depending on the drawer. Thank you for the kind words Lori.

• adja
    9 years ago

Tamara, you got yourself a beautiful space that I hope you get to enjoy every day! Congratulations on a well thought, gorgeous kitchen! Love your island pendants!!

• ediblekitchen
    9 years ago

Glad this got bumped, what a great kitchen! So many good ideas...

• mom2sulu
    9 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous kitchen--being newer to Garden Web I had missed this one somehow.

Tamarahl, tell me please how you finished your walnut countertops and how are they holding up?

• PRO
    MDLN
    9 years ago

Wow! Love the kitty feeding station.

• stephanj
    9 years ago

This is gorgeous - I love everything about it - the colours, materials, details. Will you please come over and do my kitchen???? Nicely done!

• Tamara Hadji
    9 years ago

Ok, finally home and took out the measuring tape, so I can tell you that the recycling pull out is 33 inches deep. The walnut countertop was finished with a clear but shiny finish, not sure which brand was used, and has been wonderful. No issues. Thank you for all the compliments, this kitchen is truly a delight. Especially after traveling!

• Tamara Hadji
    9 years ago

It appears the professional photos of my kitchen were never posted to this update, so I am attaching a few of them here now. Enjoy!

• Rita
    7 years ago

Gorgeous Kitchen!!!

• veebz127
    7 years ago

really enjoyed all of your pictures and great ideas.. i have taj mahal quartzite also and was hoping for backsplash ideas.

• Dream
    7 years ago

This is a beautiful kitchen, love everything you've done with it. Makes me want a white kitchen but with 2 kids its going to be a nightmare maintaining it.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm sorry you had to go through so much, but the end result is extraordinary, amazing, beautiful.... Enjoy! And wish me luck, I'm just at the beginning of my journey!

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Gorgeous!!!! I'm doing a white kitchen too but have always been drawn to walnut. I think I might just do a walnut island vs dark stain I originally chose.

• Dream
    7 years ago

What is the wood and the stain on the island cabinets?

• Tamara Hadji
    7 years ago
    It is walnut with a clear stain.
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

Tamara, does your family use the island seating or the nook lower table seating for everyday dinners? If kids, ages? I'm trying to decide between a kitchen table or raised island like yours for kitchen. We have a table in our formal dining room right off kitchen

• Tamara Hadji
    7 years ago
    My family of 4, including sons (ages 9 and 14) eat at the island every day for breakfast and dinner. The upper walnut counter, next to the clean up sink, that is in the sun room is used by friends at parties and when family members want to work on laptops as there are plenty of outlets.
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

Thank you. My kids are only 3 and 5 but they love counter height when we go to their grandparents house. I read you said you guys hang out their often so it must be comfy!

• bnareno
    7 years ago

Wonderful space! Have you ever had the occasion to use the island's ledge sink from the "short" side, say for hand washing? Do you like the Karbon faucets? Planning a reno to an MCM kitchen that is almost all island (cooktop, sink, dishwasher - all at 90 degrees to each other)

• PRO
    Perlick
    7 years ago

Beautiful! We hope you enjoy your Perlick Refrigerator Drawers!

• joviboys
    7 years ago

Tamara....I know this thread is old, but your kitchen is simply stunning! Are your cabinets Chantilly Lace? I read you kitchen delays and had to smile. I've lost weight and sleep over my darn remodel. Who knew how stressful this would be? If you used Chantilly Lace did you paint your ceiling the same. I just ordered my paint yesterday and I'm freaking out that it might be too bright.....

• Tamara Hadji
    7 years ago
    I feel your pain, Joviboys. Thanks for your kind words. Yep, I did Chantilly Lace cabinets and ceiling. No regrets. Good luck!
  • Mom In mass
    last year

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing all of these wonderful photos and ideas. I will now add a charging drawer and take a second look at Taj Mahal quartzite! I tried to go back and find your original posts, but I couldn’t. I’m curious what we’re your changes. Either way, this is a beautiful kitchen! And I hope your contractor won that award!

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much for your kind compliment. Highly recommend the charging draw and Taj Mahal, it is bulletproof! Don’t remember my changes so cannot share. Sorry! My contractor didn’t win, alas.

• Kate
    last year

Everything is great except those wires coming from the tv.

• tamarahl
    Original Author
    last year

Happy to report the wires coming from the tv are a distant memory - it is now a clean look.