Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

27" or 30" Fridge End Panels

aries61
11 years ago

Just replaced my 25 year old refrigerator with a new Kitchenaid. Just had it moved to where the old was after taking down a fridge panel to make it fit. Didn't realize that the new ones are so much deeper then the old ones.

This is forcing me to finalize my kitchen plans. My question is should I use 27" or 30" end panels for fridge? 24" are definitely out since it would look terrible.

What have others used? Recommendations?

Thanks

Comments (12)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

I routinely use 32" ones. They can be modified in depth in the field if needed. I also routinely either spec deeper cabinets next to the fridge, or regular depth cabinets pulled forward with blocking to keep the fridge from appearing so bulky and to enhance countertop space and storage. The uppers are also 15"-18" deep as well, depending on what is to be stored there.

• aries61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the feedback.

Green: I tried a mock up of 32" side panels and they seem a little to wide. The new fridge isn't that deep to utilize the 32" side. Thanks for the suggestion. You don't know until you try.

• coco4444
    11 years ago

I would go 30". That's what mine is, and I have a 21/22cf fridge with only 1-2 inches at the back to spare. You'll probably have to build out your over-fridge cab though. Here's a look:

• Buehl
    11 years ago

I have 26" - the depth of the refrigerator carcass + back gap so the doors open fully (the doors stick out past the end panels).

The 26" finished end panel covers the entire black side of the refrigerator plus the gap behind the refrigerator. The depth of the end panel was determined by the depth of the refrigerator carcass (24-1/8") + the depth of the gap b/w the refrigerator & the back wall (approx 1-7/8"). [The gap was the space needed for the required air clearance, the plug, anti-tilt mechanism, and the plumbing for the ice maker & water dispenser. Only 1/2" air clearance was needed, so whatever was needed to accommodate the other items determined the back spacing.]

I think my KD ordered 30" and then had them cut down to size on-site.

• coco4444
    11 years ago

Tried the edit feature but it didn't work. Just wanted to say that my fridge is a regular depth KitchenAid, not counter depth. I think that would make a difference in your decision.

• aries61
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Co-Co: How deep is your over fridge cabinet? Base next to fridge? and upper wall cabinet next to fridge? Thanks

My fridge carcass is 29" deep not including handles.

• coco4444
    11 years ago

Over fridge cab is 24" deep, built out ~5-6 inches with 2x4s. My drawer stack is also pulled out, for a slightly deep counter on that side; if you don't do this you will have more space between the end of your counter and the edge of your fridge gable.

I think with your regular depth fridge you should go for 30"; buehl's look is counter-depth.

OT: Planning on doing the same for over my stacked w/d, except will possibly use a 12" deep cab (no need to store cookie sheets over it!)

• coco4444
    11 years ago

Wish that edit feature would work for me!
    Drawer stack is standard 24"d, as I wrote above pulled out.
    Uppers beside fridge gable are 12"d.

• gwtamara
    11 years ago

Tested, editpost feature is working fine here. Again Tested.

This post was edited by gwTamara on Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 8:38

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I measured ours and it is 27 inches and I can open the doors

Left a bit of wiggle room for the future - this was one of the only fridges that would fit in our old hole and is a re-use (counter depth)

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

The important point here is if you are using a counter depth or a regular depth fridge. 27" will conceal a counter depth fridge, but is in no way deep enough for a regular depth fridge. Even 30" is cutting it really close for a regular depth fridge. Some of the new Samsungs are around 36" deep overall and need every bit of the 32" deep panels, which is why that is what I order. Fridges are getting deeper and deeper and that allows for retrofitting something deeper in the future. If you go with something shallower now, it doesn't give you that flexibility for the future.