Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Which option to pick and can someone with 3D software help visual

annab6
15 years ago

Most of our layout details have been ironed out. We even had electrical switches and outlets already inslalled. The cabinet installer came over today for the final measurement "with sheetrock".

But I am still agonizing over the final aesthetic choices. I really need some help to decide the cabinet sizes on the sink wall. The glass cabinet over the sink is 9" deep with the two adjacent cabinets 12" deep with a 3" clipped corners where they meet the middle cabinet. The three cabinets take up 90".

Here is option 1:

And Option 2:

The cabinets in "Option 1" are 25.5 / 39 / 25.5. Which after accounting for the inset doors and clipped corners translates to the following door sizes: 19.5 / 36 (double glass doors) / 19.5

The cabinets in "Option 2" are 30/30/30. Which translates to the following door sizes: 24 double / 27(double glass doors) / 24 double.

I sort of don't love either one because in option 1 the four doors seem too large and the 36" glass doors seem to be out of proportion with the 24" sink below. But in option 2 the six doors look too narrow and too busy (raised panel stained cabinets).

I thought about five doors (3 glass doors in the middle) but KD noted the middle door will have to have the handle either on the left or on the right which would not look right either.

We can't change any of the other adjacent cabinets since the base cabs under those fit garbage, sink and dishwasher "just right" (and the electrical is already done too), so we are playing only with these three.

Just in case, here is the floor plan with option 2:

Which one to go with? Am I overthinking this?

Unfortunately my KD doesn't have a program which would allow her to display inset doors so the ones on the pictures are a little larger than they would be in reality. She also can't display it in color. If possible, I would really appreciate if someone with a 3d program available could help me visualize these options.

Comments (11)

• salmon_slayer
    15 years ago

have you thought how you will finish the edge of the counter if the pantry? 3610-24 is the same depth. You might consider having that cabinet come out a couple more inches (staggered depth). Hope that makes sense..

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The 3610-24 is actually our built-in refrigerator cabinet. I asked KD about the depth and the granite meeting the cabinet, but it didn't sound like we would have a problem if it matches the rest of the base cabinets. According to her we would only need a little rounded corner on the counter.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I like option 2. The doors are more in keeping with your hutch piece to the right of the sink.

I might be able to draw some of this up, but have to warn you I have another kitchen ahead of you and a family to school and take care of, so it won't be immediate,-- maybe someone else will jump in and get it done faster for you. My bigger concern is that you might be expecting a rendering better than you'll get...My software program has limitations in cabinet styles, color, and details that won't necessarily give you the exact picture I'm afraid you're hoping for. Getting a picture from different angles can skew things and you still might have doors that look bigger or smaller than they will in real life.

Did you say what colors you're wanting?

• alice462
    15 years ago

I like option #2 - doesn't seem too busy to me and as rhome indicated seems to balance better w/hutch. The first option gives too much of a "blank wall" look for me -- I like the details of the door panels along the wall.

You mentioned inset doors and 12" cabinets -- have you checked with your KD on the actual interior depth of these?? I learned from GW to ask that question ahead of time as you lose some interior space w/inset. Mine goes to about 10 1/2" on a 12" cabinet. Had a friend who did not ask this question and in the end her plates would not fit inside her cabinet -- talk about tears! Contractor did come back and bump out back of all uppers to make it work -- but what a nightmare!

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Option #2 gives you a bit more storage space but it does look a bit busy and, from a functional standpoint, there are more doors to open to access the space.

Option #1 looks cleaner and more user friendly esp. w/ regard to unloading the dishwasher.

Tough call but I'd go with #1. (Also, I like the wider cab over the sink.)

• malhgold
    15 years ago

I too prefer option #1. Option #2 is too busy for me. Just throwing this out there, would you consider some open shelving instead of the glass cabinets over the sink. Maybe it would help break up the expanse of cabinets. If you still wanted some glass cabinets on that side, you could make the other 2 cabinets with glass fronts. Just a thought.

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, two votes for one and two for the other? This is just about where I started :) But somehow it helps anyway to get the different opinions.

rhome, thanks for your offer, if you can do it in any nearest future it would be great (and I promise, no big expectations). If you can't, not a problem. I am already amazed at the input you are able to provide here while raising such a big family.

as far as malhgold's idea, I love open shelving in kitchens in magazine photos. But in our case I think we'd give up too much practical storage if we changed that cabinet to open shelves and the adjacent cabinets to glass. It would limit us to dishes in all three. With wood doors, i could have my everyday dishes in the cabinet to the right of the sink and any other kitchen items in the cabinet to the left. Another concern is dust since we wouldn't have items we use and clean daily on the upper shelf above the sink. So whatever goes there would have to be dusted regularly. Also we have those other glass cabs on the other side, so it could end up being too much glass all together. So as you cal tell I sort of talked myself out of that idea.

And I did check the 12" cabinets, they are 10.5 deep inside and i've taken my plates and pots down there for a "trial fit". Also, we may be able to move the lower cabs out by 0.75" and make the uppers 13" and 10" deep which would be great. I just have to confirm with the KD after the final measurement they did this week that we have enough room by the basement door.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I have the other kitchen that was ahead of you out of the way...But I can't do yours in color for you if I don't know the colors you want. :-) Also, working from the one comment you made, will all your cabinets be inset? I have started the drawing, but am not good at reading 'cabinet-ese' for size and style of the cabinets, and I can't get all the red measurements to print clearly...So I'll do the best I can. But, please tell me, ASAP, cabinet color(s), what you plan for the counters, etc.

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Rhome! Yes, inset doors, raised panel. Cabinets - stained, light to medium color. Counters - light granite, color not decided but perhaps colonial gold.

Here is something similar color-wise, except our doors are not as detailed and this kitchen looks too "country".

http://www.marble.com/countertops/galleries/full/kitchens/161.html

One thing we are considering is a different color for the island (either dark stained or painted cream) but not sure about it yet, have to make one decision at a time.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Close to what you were hoping for? I don't have many hood choices, so that is just as close as I could get...especially since I couldn't see yours well anyway.

• annab6
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Rhome, thanks a lot! I didn't expect you to post it so fast. I don't know if it is me but it is much easier to see it when it is done this way than the drawings I got from KD. Now I have to stare at it for some time and decide if i want larger glass doors