Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to pick a rangetop and hood...

Posted by amandasplit (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 0:13

Hi,
We are in the planning phase of our kitchen remodel and the black Friday weekend has kicked our appliance search into high gear. I'm so grateful for everything I have learned from this forum, I would love to hear some opinions on rangetops.

We don't want to overspend and it seems like the cheapest rangetop options are from Bertazzoni, and the next step up are Electrolux and Viking. I'm leaning toward Viking, because of the name, but maybe that is stupid? Would love input! Also need a wall mount hood to go with it (was looking at zephyr and best based on reviews from this forum.)

In case it matters, we just ordered the 30" Bosch 800 series double oven (we agonized between that and the Electrolux before deciding), Bosch ascenta DW, and KA fridge.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to pick a rangetop and hood...

Shoot! Should have posted this in appliances, sorry!

o

You will probably get lots of recommendations for cooktops on this kitchen forum as well as the appliance on. So I will chime in and tell you that I love my Dacor Renaisssance 36 in. five burner cooktop. Two of the burners are extra powerful and yet they can also hold things at a perfect simmer. I like the placement of the knobs and the fifth burner. The knobs also have a blue light on them when the burner is on. This is a great feature because when simmering the flame can't be seen which leads to sometimes leaving the burner turned on. Nice to have the light as a reminder. The cooktop also has a fairly deep well so if something spills over it doesn't end end up all over to counter too. The well area is a brushed stainless and easy to keep clean. Here is a picture of my cooktop
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I have a Venta Hood vent and am enjoying how nice it is to have good ventalation compared to my over the range microwave/ vent combo.

o

We have a Bertazzoni range and I really like it. The safety features are annoying to some people (it shuts the gas off if it thinks the flame has died, so takes a couple extra seconds when you light it to hold the knob in as an override).

The top is made from one piece of steel, definitely look for no seams in the top if you (like me) see pasta water boil over now and then. And test out the grates on whatever you choose with the pot that has the smallest diameter bottom. Make sure it sits well and you have some margin of error in how you put it down.

The Bert fit our budget and requirements for no electronics and not made in China, and we have really liked it. I'm not a gourmet so I can't say it has made me the best chef ever, but I think I cook better on it than our old Amana (definitely bake better, it's amazing what an accurate oven can do, LOL).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here