Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Granite countertops and oak cabinets

Posted by debhome (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 3, 08 at 0:07

I'm trying to decide on which granite countertop to choose. The kitchen has oak cabinets, oak hardwood floors, and stainless appliances. The stove has a black cooktop. I'm thinking about a darker countertop - like black galaxy or blue pearl - but I'm still very open to suggestions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Granite countertops and oak cabinets

I think the contrast would be nice with the dark granite. You might want to look through the finished kitchens to see what appeals to you.

http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/

o

With Oak I've been told that dark greens, red-browns, and whites are the best colors to consider.

I've tried looking through the finished kitchens collection by using the categories tag and using Oak as a criteria. Most often what appears is dark greens (Ubatuba, etc), browns, and frequently soapstone.

I wonder how Emerald Pearl would look with oak? Any thoughts out there?

o

What color are the oak cabinets and floors stained? If the cabs are dark, you could chose a lighter granite. If they are light or natural, you could go with a darker granite. Here's my oak cabinets with delicatus granite. sorry it's such a messy picture....lol!

Photobucket

o

speaking of emerald pearl here is how it looks with my maple cabinets.. you gotta be prepared for some bling with this granite.. depending on the light some sections of it might have a lot of the blingy pearl flakes..

o

My cabinets are a medium to ligher shade. They are maybe a little darker than favabeans5 cabinets. I like the bling on the emerald green pearl - maybe have to think about that one.

o

I would pay close attention to the tones. I installed Emerald Pearl and agree it's a beautiful granite. However it did not work well with my honey-oak cabinets. The honey oak was too warm, the emerald pearl too cool. I ended up refacing the cabinets (I wasn't a fan of them in the first place).

o

I did black galaxy with a medium/light stained birch -- "honey spice." I love it. I went with a light floor tile and backsplash, though. I think it has a warm look and feel. The bling is brilliant at night and quiet in the day.

o
RE:: Granite countertops and oak cabinets

Fava -- your emerald pearl looks beautiful! Very pretty kitchen!

o

We remodeled a couple of years ago, but kept our oak cabinets. We also have stainless steal appliances and oak floors. We used a dark granite which looks beautiful. I've been wracking my brain to remember the name of it, but can't. I will try to look it up tomorrow. It is a very dark grey/black/greenish with a lot of movement and oaky-golden colors. It looks great with our oak and stainless.

o

Have a peek at mine; it's a lighter colored granite named Sunny Flower with honey oak cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunny Flower granite w/oak cabinets

o

Anyone use a white granite with oak? My question is based on the fact that the dishwasher is new and the range is new and they are white. Kitchen is an interior room with no windows so keeping things light is probably the best way to go.

o

Did you decide on a granite yet?

o

i think the white granite with black and brown specs would look lovely...it would balance out the white appliances and the black and brown specs would pull in the cabinets. My only concern would be the shades of white not matching up or one looking cream compared to ultra bright white or something of that nature. Maybe one that is more black and brown with small specs of white.
Good Luck to ya~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here