Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joanne77a

Photos of White and Cream Together?

joanne77a
13 years ago

We have a lot of white painted woodwork in the house...all our molding, baseboards and window trim. I've been planning on white painted cabinets (hey, we live in Seattle and with all the gray days we like a bright kitchen). But I've seen some really nice creamy colored cabinets, and I'm looking for examples of the combination: cream cabinets with white window trim.

I'd like a counter in the brown family for contrast, and we are planning wood floors.

Thanks if you can help me visualize this combination, or maybe it's not a good one and no one will have such photos!

Joanne

Comments (19)

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Hi Joanne, that's what we did (ditto on the cloudy Seattle weather.) I thought I wanted white white cabs but it's one of the only things DH said "please don't" about. So we did creamy white cabs with a light treatment of dark walnut glaze. Just a touch.

Sorry that I don't have photos to share yet but will in another week or two.

We put in hardwood floors, too, and this weekend they are putting on a dark walnut stain.

We have white trim on the windows and slider doors. The doors between the kitchen and dining room will be here tomorrow; we had them painted the same color as the cabinets.

After the floors are done, we will install a slightly off-white floor trim (Greek Villa from SW)

My granite has both white and cream in it.

The biggest combo of white and cream is this: We have a white fireplace mantle in the adjoining family room. I thought it would clash with our cabinets but it looks wonderful. We're using the same crown molding as the mantle trim to tie the two spaces together. Best of all, there was enough granite left from our slabs to replace the fake stone around the fireplace with granite. Now you don't even see the contrast; it's all quite complimentary, to my untrained eye. We'll see what kind of feedback I get when I post photos, but knowing our GW's even if it's not the best everyone will ooh and ahh about the good parts.

If you want white and cream together I think you should go for it.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

honorbiltkit posted this photo
    {{!gwi}}
    in the Kitchen Cabinets with White Appliances thread (see link below).

I think it's a gorgeous look (the above kitchen is in my inspiration file). Personally I think having enough of a difference between the white and cream is more appealing - it looks like it was on purpose and not a near miss. That said, live_wire_oak recently posted that layering multiple shades of white in a kitchen is a great look. Can't remember which thread lwo wrote that in, sorry.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Cabinets with White Appliances

• riley605
    13 years ago

I would think you could do a google search, then choose to just display images.

I think cream w/white trim is absolutely beautiful!

• irishcreamgirl
    13 years ago

I just installed a glazed creamy white cabinet in our kitchen that had existing wood floors and white trim which is throughout the house. We only have 8 foot ceilings so the creamy glazed crown molding butts right up to the room crown molding. I actually like haveing the room trim a different shade of white from the cabinets.

A few years ago we had replaced all of our windows with Anderson Woodwright windows that were prepainted. As a result we had to custom blend trim paint to match the windows throughout the house. It is a very grayish white trim.

I probably would have selected a different shade of white trim to go with the cabinets if I were starting from scratch but I am not going to change the color of the trim in that one room because I want the trim to be uniform throughout the house. I still would not have matched the cabinet color though.

Ironically, the trim matched the paint color the cabinet manufacturer uses before the glaze is applied. My cabinet rep brought me both glazed and unglazed doors and I was surprised to see how well the unglazed door and the trim matched. I went with the glazed because I wanted my cabinets to have a warmer feel to them.

I have not selected a wall color yet so I may have difficutly finding one that coordinates with both the warm cabinet and the grayish white trim.

I'm just so happy to have a light kitchen after living in a dark cave for 5 years. It has a tiny window and no direct sunlight.

I can't upload photos right now because I can't find the piece I need but will try later if I can.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

That's what we have. We have some white appliances, creamy white (with a hint of yellow) cabinets, and white backsplash tile and window trim. We have blue pearl granite.

We are not done, so I don't really have any photos, but I really like the combo. I don't think it clashes at all, and I am very picky about colors clashing.

• joanne77a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Newcastle mom...I can't wait to see! Sounds lovely!

Thanks for the photo and link Lisa. That's a very nice look.

Irish cream girl, I'm hoping I have enough white, now. There's lots of trim in the dining room and we are opening up the wall there, still with an arch between, but in the kitchen it will maybe be just the window trim. Although I am doing open shelves on the window wall, so maybe I can do them in white and the cabinets on the other wall cream.

I wish I were better at visualizing. Once it's done, it's done.

Shelayne, you've given me another thought...I haven't picked the backsplash tile yet. Although I was going to try to pick up some of the color from our Batchelder tile fireplace in the living room.

Thanks all!

• sugar_maple_30
    13 years ago

Just a caution to be careful with the cream. Years ago I did a cream wallpaper in a room with white trim and it was a disaster. I chose the wrong cream and it looked dirty against the white. Since then I've seen many combos that look good, so I think it's all in the cream you pick.

Our house also has a lot of white trim. Our kitchen cabinets are bone (kind of creamy white), floors are
    medium wood and counter is dark brown. We went all the way and painted everything in the kitchen the same colour as the cabinets, including walls, trim, doors, and window frames.

I was worried that the cream trim would clash with the white in the rest of the house, but it doesn't at all.
    Again, I'm convinced it's crucial to ensure that the whites and creams go together.

It really is stunning and clean when they work well.

Good luck and post when it's done!

• byronroad
    13 years ago

We picked those same colours for the same reason. We have the same weather systems you do (HI from North Vancouver, B.C.) and we went with the following:
    Shaker cabinets: Creme brulee (creamy coloured)
    Window trims, baseboards and ceilings: BM Cloud White, CC-40
    Kitchen, family room, living room, BM florentine Plaster, CC-520
    Hall Ways: BM floral white, OC-29
    Counter: Granite, Giallo Ornamentale
    Floors: Solid Maple, Stained Hazelnut (warm brown mid-tone)
    Backsplash: Soft Gray matte subway with Copper inlay brick style behind the stove. Our living room fireplace is Squamish rock and is floor to ceiling (6' wide x 10' high) and the tiles connect to it really well. We were afraid that the grayish matte subway would look too much like today (gray and rainy) but it is very soft and gives a great place for the eye to rest.
    I am techno challenged and so can't post photos but the cream and white look really good together. Our previous kitchen cabinets were white with a gray tint to them and we tried to avoid that this time so the cream works really well. And on a day like to today the kitchen is really cheery and bright. IF you're up this way anytime soon let me know and you can have a peek. Good luck

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Lisa--That kitchen is amazing!!

• joanne77a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sugar Maple and Sidney, gorgeous!
    Byronroad, that sounds so beautiful!

I am feeling so much better about going this direction!

Thank you!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

• fiddleddd
    13 years ago

sidney4.....I've ordered a bisque colored cabinet, and I'll have white painted woodwork trim, so this is a fantastic resource for me! And I've even picked out the New Venetian Gold granite. Seeing your kitchen just confirms that I'm on the right track. You did a beautiful job!!!

I was wondering if you have the name of your cabinetry hardware. I want to use silver, but not necessarily the bright satin nickel. Yours looks a little darker.....is it pewter perhaps? Anyway, if you can help, I'd appreciate it.

• Sidney4
    13 years ago

Thanks, fiddleddd. I know you'll be happy with your decision. The hardware in my kitchen is actually ORB but I couldn't help noticing how many of the pictures boxerpups shared had the brushed nickle. I would take anyone of those kitchens! I could look at pictures like those all day.

My pulls and knobs were from Amerock and they were pretty basic. By the time I got around to buying the hardware I had already blown all my "fun money" for anything fancy.

Here's a wider angle of my kitchen that shows a little more white woodwork against the cream if that is helpful.I am just not much a photographer so the colors all seem to be a bit washed out.

We still haven't decided on a back splash yet but I think that might be an opportunity to pull the white and cream tones together if I can find the right tile.

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your project as it progresses.

• joan2121
    13 years ago

sydney4, thanks for sharing- your kitchen is gorgeous. I am doing creamy white cabs and have all white trim. Decision this week is granite, so your post was very helpful. The brown tone with orb looks great in you space and I think it pulls the colors together.

• clax66
    13 years ago

I have dark stained hardwood floors, antique brown granite and cream perimeter cabinets with yellow based undertones. The crown moulding is painted the same cream colour. But my trim throughout the house (windows, baseboard, around door frames) is painted white dove. Sorry I don't have a photo, but I think it looks great:) (My island is a contrasting wood stain with bianco romano granite).

• tarafreitag
    10 years ago

sidney4, I love your kitchen, I have a very similar colored granite. I have pickled pink cabinets and I would love to paint them the color that is yours. What is the name and is is a flat or a gloss?? Thanks so much

• tarafreitag
    10 years ago

sidney4, I love your kitchen, I have a very similar colored granite. I have pickled pink cabinets and I would love to paint them the color that is yours. What is the name and is is a flat or a gloss?? Thanks so much

• legacybuilder2
    10 years ago

sydney4--Your kitchen is beautiful. I love the archway with trim that looks like columns to me. I want to do that look with my living room to dining room and make thick faux columns around the wall. Did you do that yourself?

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm