Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justretired_gw

Have you ever painted your backsplash?

justretired
10 years ago

Well I am officially just sick. About 2 months ago, after months of agonizing, I picked our backsplash. It is just wrong. We really cannot afford to tear out and replace (well I could, but that would mean we could not replace our trim and interior doors) so I am wondering if anyone here has ever painted their porcelain BS. I cannot imagine painting around all of the grout but guess I could just take my time and get it done. Maybe use a small sponge?

Thanks. JR

Comments (23)

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Post a photo of it.

• mulemom
    10 years ago

I have. When I moved into this house the 4x4 tiles on the back splash had random flowers on them - not my thing. I scrubbed with TSP and rinsed well. I used one of those lacquer base stick to anything primers - BIN? Kilz? - I don't remember. Finished painting with an oil based enamel. I used a foam roller. Since I painted the whole thing white I did not have to worry about the grout; I don't think I would have had the patience to paint the tile and not the grout. That was 10 years ago, the paint has held up very well.

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, mulemom.....you just painted the grout right along with the tile? I would paint an off-white so guess the current grout tile would not match anyway. Did you seal with anything? I would be happy if the paint lasted 5 years, 10 is amazing!

Thank you for the info.

JR

P.S. Debrak, I did take some pictures but the colors look even more "off" on my computer. I do not believe that I could be convinced that the BS was the correct choice. Even a friend that I totally trust (beautiful home, great taste) told me "to be honest, it really is not right." And after she said that, my husband even said when he saw it he thought to himself (wise man) that it did not "go." He did not say anything because he knew how long I looked for just the right thing and did not want to hurt my feelings. Bless his heart:)

• ellendi
    10 years ago

The wrong backsplash is a very common problem here. Many of us have indeed torn out a just installed backsplash to start over.

I have seen painted tiles in a boutique hotel where my daughter used to work. It was done in the bathroom. The color was a creamy white and everything was painted over.

I am not sure how this technique would look with a color tile as you would not have for example blue grout if you chose a blue tile.

Sometimes lighting effects the color of things. Do you have under the counter lighting? This might help in appearance. Also the lighting overhead.

Sometimes it is the grout that is wrong. One menber changed her grout and was then happy with her backsplash.

If you post a picture, you might get other suggestions.
    You are like me in that I wanted an immediate resolution. Although money was not the issue, my indecision was. I lived for months with torn sheet rock as my backsplash until I had the nerve to choose again!

Your friend is probably right in that this was not the best choice so we are not debating that. We are just trying for a quick fix until you can replace it.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

ellendi mentioned what I was thinking. Sometimes its the lighting, the grout or even the room paint color. I totally understand the colors to not always show up right on monitors. Why not post some photos and maybe get some suggestions. It would be free so you have nothing to lose.

ps I would be ready to strangle my husband if he didn't speak up and say something, LOL. I would take his closed month and an OK to do what ever you need to fix it. ; )

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hopefully here are a couple of photos (I have never done this before!). You can see what I mean about the total lack of cohesion. What was I thinking??????? In my defense, the samples on the board were more brown than variegated. And I first saw the actual tiles the day the installer came. If I would have seen them a day earlier I would have never done this:(

Thank you all for trying to help me.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

This post was edited by justretired on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 13:23

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is one more. This corner looks better because it is dark:

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

On my computer I like what you have done. Both the light and dark are matching well with the counter.

• lam702
    10 years ago

Actually, I like your backsplash. At least from the photos, it looks like it goes with the countertop just fine.

• andee_gw
    10 years ago

I was prepared to see something awful - the taupe and beige bad mix. But I think these do "go". It is the difference in the rectangular tiles with their particular variegation and the granite with its irregular movement that perhaps is bothering you.

Try to live with it for a few months. Don't paint yet. And perhaps change out the yellowish lamp bulb and shade for something grayer or browner. And the outlet covers, too.

Hmm. The more I look at it, the better I like it.

• User
    10 years ago

It's not the tile. It's the too light grout. Use an epoxy grout colorant about two shades darker and it will blend it a bit better. The tile is actually quite nice with the counters. I would NEVER paint that. It's not like it's mint green or something! ;)

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Agree that on my monitor, it looks very nice, no color clash whatsoever. I would NOT paint these tiles.
    What is it that bothers you?
    And what's your wall color?
    I would use cobalt or turquoise accents if that works with the rest of the kitchen.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Oh my it is gorgeous! I am not just saying that. LWO may be right about the grout.

As far as others saying it doesn't match....I feel that often people say/think that things don't match/look good etc. when the real issue is that they don't like that look or style. For example some may not like the granite or think it is too busy. Then you add a non solid color BS and that is too much for them. So those people will not like it. That is just personal style/taste. Its just my guess as why anyone would not like it or think it doesn't go together.

You should know that you get tough love here on the kitchen forum and we would tell you the truth. I agree to change out outlets.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 15:18

• mulemom
    10 years ago

I wouldn't dream of painting over that.... it looks great! I'd live with it for a while and see if it grows on you.

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. Since I would rather not paint, I appreciate the suggestions. To answer questions:

The paint color in the room is BM Fairway Oaks. It is adjacent to the tile in only one, fairly inconspicuous place. However it does appear to have more of a yellow tone to it when seen next to the tile.

The thing I like least about the tile is that it appears in person to have a pinkish cast. There is none of that in the counter--just tan/brown, golds, rust, gray and ivory. That was my first comment when I saw the tile--that it looked pink.

I would happily darken the grout, change lightbulbs and bring in colorful accessories if that is what it would take.

As for the switch plates /outlets. I was thinking of doing that but did not want to waste my time if I was going to change the tile. So, for those of you that suggested I change them...to what? Something darker? I saw some lovely orb or metallics on someone"s BS on this site but do not remember who's it was.

I have been just sick about this and you are all giving me hope that with some tweeking I will, if not fall in love, at least step away from the paintbrush LOL!

Gracias!!!!

JR

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Maybe get a few of the left over tiles and glue them to a board.
    Slap some darker grout on them and give it a look see.
    I hear so many times here that the end product looks nothing like the sample boards ....What's up with that !?!

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good idea, forboystoo. I have quite a few extra tiles and could do some experimenting before taking the leap to darken all of the grout.

I was blown away by the difference between the sample board and the tile. There was so much variation in the tile that I was not expecting. It is much busier than I thought it would be. I found out later that the boards only show examples of the lightest and darkest tiles. Lesson learned.....

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Take a tile or two with you to lowes or hd and buy any color cover plate that might work. Bring them home and hold them up and see how they look. Once you find what will work just return them and buy what you need.

This is something I found about toning down a pinkish floor tile. I'm sure others and give you more ideas about this.

"A room full of nothing but neutrals and pink tile flooring can be a bit boring, so you may want to incorporate accent shades that add a pop of color to the space. However, when you're introducing additional colors to your room's design, opt for shades that have the same warm undertones as your pink tile. You can identify the right shades by looking at the colors that are beside pink on the color wheel. These shades, known as analogous colors, don't contrast with pink so they create a harmonious look when used together. Red and purple shades are attractive pairings with pink. To avoid a loud look that might draw attention to the tile, though, use muted shades like brick, wine, lilac or lavender."

When I first looked at your photos I did not notice any pink.

While you are there pick up a bunch of those free grout charts. Cut them apart and play about with the strips between the tiles.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 18:29

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting, debrak. Out of the colors mentioned I could see brick or wine going with my kitchen. I love the idea of doing something positive to help me out of my tile funk.

Thanks for the ideas about the switchplates and grout charts also. Getting suggestions from people like yourself is so helpful.

So when you say when you first looked at my pictures you did not see any pink does that mean you can see it upon closer inspection? Just curious:)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Don't paint! I know everyone's computer monitor shows colours differently, and I find it's really really hard to capture all the nuances of stone in a photo. But, I quite like your backsplash, and I have to be honest, I've seen more I don't like here, than ones I do.

I'm wondering if a grout in a grey tone would help? A tiler who has given me great advice says he never does a job without doing a sample board and getting approval of grout colour first. He says that previously most of the jobs that customers did't like were because of grout colour.

My very first reaction was 'why would she keep those old outlets. Not only the plates need to be replaced, but I would strongly recommend updating the actual plugs/light switches. Even if the colour matched your trim it would look nicer than that very out-dated ivory.

I am not a colour expert, but my BM lady is. If I were you, I would take samples to a reputable paint shop and to someone who knows how colours work. Mine was able to explain how certain tones of paint work better with my granite. To the naked eye they looked very similar, but having a red or a yellow undertone completely changed how well they went. Even though they don't 'do grout', someone there may help you pick a good grout colour if you could bring in samples.

Did I mention..."Don't Paint"!?!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I googled toning down pinkish shade, and here are suggestions:
    BM Natural Linen, or Smoky Taupe, or Cedar Key

Then, there's the suggestion to beat out the pink with a stronger clay color, e.g.
    BM Sedona Clay or Pratt and Lambert Red Clay

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Sedona Clay with warm white

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I sort of see it after you mentioned it but I was "trying" to see it. I don't know the name of your granite but when I have seen it in the past often there was a pink tone to it. I don't see it in yours. If you don't mention it no one is going to be straining their eyes to see some color you say it there.

raehelen is right. Once you find the right color for the outlets you need to change the whole thing. This can be an easy DIY if you are comfortable with doing it.

Our local Sherwin Williams also has great color people. So check a few places if you can.

• justretired
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nosoccermom--do I ever like that Sedona Clay! What a dramatic color. Funny, I would have to compare the chips but the Fairway Oaks I have currently painted seems similar to Cedar Key. I would happily paint if the color made the tile look less pink to me. So even though there is almost no paint adjacent to the tile (the tile is next to cupboards and a window. And a doorway) do you think paint in the room is making the tile look more pink?

Debrak, thanks for sticking with me on this. Our local SW dealer has not historically had a great color person. Ben Moore did, but the decorating center that carries BM is getting out of paint. Really sad. Anyway I need to get back to Sherwin Williams and make some friends there! My hubby can change outlets so no prob with that..

Raehelen: Yes I know the outlets/switches are terrible. When I was feeling bad about the tile I just sort of lost my motivation. Now that it might not be so bad I will for sure work on those. They do look terrible, I agree.

Thanks again all of you for the suggestions. I have lots to think about now. Hopefully when I make some improvements, things will look better to me.

And I promise not to paint!!!!!!