Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
repac_pbc

Need help with cabinet layout

repac
11 years ago

We are updating our kitchen, and want to replace a wall of 4 2-door cabinets with something more furniture-like. Two of the options we're considering at this point are posted below. The entire width of the wall is just shy of 10 feet, and you enter the kitchen immediately to the left, perpendicular to the cabinets. The wall of cabinets will be at the end of the dining area. On all pictures, the cabinets between the decorative legs will be about 3 inches farther forward than the rest of the cabinets.

Concerns:

1) the hutch will look too heavy; the rest of the kitchen has walls of cabinets. Right now, we don't have anything next to the window and it looks fine, but there is wallpaper there that will be coming off.

2) it may look odd to have the two basically separate looking pieces (hutch options)

3) without the hutch, the wall will look too empty. What else could we put there, with the TV (non-negotiable)?

I really appreciate any help you can give me in deciding which options will look/function best.

Comments (5)

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

what would the section consist of that is below the tv. Cubbyholes? little cabinet sections with side hinged doors/or is that just molding applied to the wall? I'd omit cabinets on left and right of tv and see what your style vision could do with those inches between lower cabs and bottom of tv. A big thick walnut ledge under the tv that rests upon alcoves which are in turn resting on the lower cabs-that's closer to what I would do. I'm not sure why-I don't like putting stuff directly left and right of tv.-leave some open wall scape.Also,the centering of the legs in your 1st pic looks better to me.

• repac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

herbflavor: the section below the TV is just a decorative wood piece against the wall. I like the idea of the walnut ledge below the tv; could add interest, but without the cabinets will allow good access to the tv. Thanks.

Big difference is that the first version has basically two different cabinets, arranged around the window, whereas the second is simply centered on the wall. Will the wall-centered version look funny because it doesn't line up with the window?

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

Regarding the lower cabinet setup: what is the actual goal for the usage/practical aspect of this run? Do you need it for extra kitchen storage/or is it just for looks/or other household storage? For me, I'd probably cut it all back to 15 or 18 in depth/eliminate the 2 reeded fillers and do more with open bookcase/furniture feet/some cabinet doors but with the wire mesh or interesting centerpanel feature. The cabs with silverware drawer on top and dbl doors below,in particular are standard kitchen cabs-in this spot I'd choose another opetion for those. I don't think there's a good reason for 3 inch fillers and a bumpout here when you can do some open cabinets and display some pottery/books/things you love and already have,then add some furniture feet. I'd take personalization that shelves allows over the cost/waste of space/functional meaninglessness of fillers/bumpouts right here.Changing wood species or tones along the run is a way, also, to add style.

• repac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I agree that the std cabinets still look rather boring; it's hard to me to imagine how they'll look with the actual cabinet doors. As for function, we need some storage space but I don't need all of this. However, I do want the top of the piece for buffet serving for casual dinners (top will be granite). That's been really useful for us, so I'd like to keep the depth for that.

As for the "fillers" and bumpout, they're decorative legs that DH liked in a cabinet design he saw. I'm giving him one choice in the kitchen. ;)

I like the idea of open shelves, but with my granddaughter spending lots of time here our nice things would probably be broken quickly and replaced with her toys. What about glass and wood cabinet doors with shelves for display or books behind them?

• repac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I agree that the std cabinets still look rather boring; it's hard to me to imagine how they'll look with the actual cabinet doors. As for function, we need some storage space but I don't need all of this. However, I do want the top of the piece for buffet serving for casual dinners (top will be granite). That's been really useful for us, so I'd like to keep the depth for that.

As for the "fillers" and bumpout, they're decorative legs that DH liked in a cabinet design he saw. I'm giving him one choice in the kitchen. ;)

I like the idea of open shelves, but with my granddaughter spending lots of time here our nice things would probably be broken quickly and replaced with her toys. What about glass and wood cabinet doors with shelves for display or books behind them?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz