Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luisa_at_home

Knife rack in a drawer? Do you love it?

luisa_at_home
15 years ago

I am thinking of storing knives in a drawer to avoid the counter clutter of a knife block. Anyone have a particular type of storage device that they would recommend for a drawer?

Do you like storing them in a drawer?

Comments (16)

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I do. I remember how excited I was to get a knife block and have a bunch of wonderful knives in it, sitting on my counter, ready and waiting to be grabbed and put to work. Funny how that gave way to wishing I could clear the necessary evil from my counter. We looked into a magnetic bar (no good place to put one), slots at the back of a counter space (no good place for it and probably works best with 30" counters, which I don't have) and so on.

We didn't order the knife inserts with the cabinets. Instead, when the cabinets were in, I went shopping for organizers to add to the knife, utensil and flatware drawers. They are all wood -- no more Rubbermaid (good stuff, had it all my life, but time for a change). We actually wound up with two knife inserts -- one on either side of the island -- a his and hers sort of thing. The knives seem just as handy, you can see which one is which for the most part and the counters are much cleaner and clearer. I think I found mine at discount stores (Ross, Marshall's or TJ Maxx). They were in the $10-15 range.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

I'd look for ones that hold them by the edge so they aren't damaged from rubbing against each other. I think the Ikea ones work that way.

I have one of the blocks with rods instead of slots. You can stick the knives in any old way. Wouldn't have anything else at this point!

• duckee
    15 years ago

We have this, and love it:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000632SX?tag=gadgdail-20

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: J.A. Henckels 13-Slot In-Drawer Knife Tray

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I have something similar to what duckee linked to. I put that and my cutting boards, along with some other prep utensils that I use a lot in the drawer directly below my most used work space. Works great for me. Note that I only store about six knives in the tray, the six knives I use most and want to keep sharp. All other knives are stored in sectioned areas of the drawer.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

Like Lascatx, I initially loved our knife block, especially since our old kitchen had very few drawers. The prep area in our new kitchen is the island, and I did not want to clutter it with the knife block or move the block to a less handy place. We have a bank of nice wide drawers next to the prep sink, so the top one now holds our knives. I couldn't find trays big enough & didn't want to dull the knife edges. (We stored our knives upside down in the block to spare the edges.)

This forum gave me the idea to use a long magnetic strip, the kind usually installed on the wall. I searched online & found one almost the width of the drawer, & it easily screwed in. I also lined the drawer with Cushy Cupboard.

DH was initially skeptical; he liked our knife block. However, he was sold on the drawer when he realized he could instantly see what knife he wanted rather than hunting through the block. (Our family didn't always return a knife to the same slot---another annoyance.)

• ssjm
    15 years ago

I have a knife rack in the drawer that I got from the Container Store. It's very similar to the one that duckee provided the link to. Mine holds 5 large knives and 6 small knives and it was about $40.

• vitta_2008
    15 years ago

I have one and love it. It easy to find a particular knive. I have my chef knives and smith and welinsky knives in there too!!!

• luisa_at_home
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gizmonike, your idea is so clever! I will definitely suggest it to DH. I imagine you do have to be more careful about putting them away & not hitting them against each other this way.

• friedajune
    15 years ago

I also have the same Henckels knife drawer tray that Duckee linked to. I love it. It holds 6 steak knives (where would you put them otherwise?), plus 6 knives of ANY size. Some of the knife drawer trays I've seen do not fit all knife sizes. I have in there my looong bread slicer, huge chefs knife, utility knife, all-purpose serrated knife, paring knife, and boning knife. And it also has a specialty slot for a sharpening steel. Also, its size of 17 x 9 conveniently does not fill up my entire drawer, so I also have room in that drawer for my ice cream scoop, meat pounder, pizza slicer and grapefruit spoons (don't laugh at my fussy grapefruit spoons; we eat a lot of grapefruit and they work great).

I remember a similar post about knife drawer storage. Someone mentioned that Costco sells the EXACT tray as the Henckels, for half the price. The Costco one doesn't have the "Henckels" logo on it; other than that it's the same. It's not on the Costco website, you have to go in the store to find it.

• brunosonio
    15 years ago

We store all of our chef's and steak knives in a drawer...I love not having the clutter on the countertops or backsplash walls.

I found a large wooden holder that has slats for the knives, and it holds both large and small ones easily. We bought it at a restaurant supply store, and it comes in different sizes, so you can customize it to the width and depth of your drawers.

• janwad
    15 years ago

I moved to a drawer to try to eliminate clutter, and it has worked really well. This tray holds about 20 knives for me with ease.

Here is a link that might be useful: expand-a knife

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Sorry -- I wasn't very clear. OK, I didnt even finish that sentence and left out a word.

I was talking about drawer organizers. The knife ones are like what duckee posted. I had to go look. I thought one was a Henkels. Actually, both of them are, but they have different logos on them. I only found one at the first store where I found them and later found another one. My flatware and utensils are in drawers with the bamboo dividers. Again, I bought them at different stores to find the right sizes and space configurations. I did find that some looked or felt better than others.

• bungalowdawn
    15 years ago

I have the one that duckee posted and love it. We switched from he Henckel knife block to this after our remodel and it's just great. Our kitchen is tiny and it cleared the counters a bit. It's in the drawer right under our main prep area so very easy to access. Definitely recommend it.

• maydl
    15 years ago

I use a small "wave"-style in-the-drawer knife tray, which holds six large knives and five small ones. I got it for $5 at a thrift shop in order to see if I could become accustomed to not having my knives on the counter. It's almost as handy as a block on the counter, and I like not having the clutter. Of course, you can always take the tray out of the drawer while you are working, and put it back at the end of the day.

• fern76
    15 years ago

I also have a wooden one, not a Henckel's, it works well, holds 12 or 13 knives like the one pictured above, Target, ~$20...I keep thinking I need to go get another one :)

HTH

Fern76

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County