Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebodyoasis_gw

Changing contractor mid-project?

homebodyoasis
9 years ago

I'm really concerned that my GC doesn't have the attention to detail skill that is likely required to do a good job on the rest of our project (12x24 porcelain flooring and subway backsplash). Should I review my itemized proposal and figure out a fair settlement for the work he has already done and tell him that I want to terminate the project with him? I did pay him a down payment (he would "owe" me funds) and we didn't sign a contract. He is a nice guy so I do feel bad about this, but at the same time I want a quality result.

First, the GC chipped about an inch of my cabinet (they aren't new, but are in great shape) while he was venting the range hood exhaust/installing the hood (he didn't tell me about it, I noticed it and left the GC a VM that night telling him that I saw the chip, but that I could re-stain it and that the cabinet door would hide it). My MIL was "babysitting" during the work.

Then a few nights ago as I was looking at the range hood while considering what backsplash I wanted to do, I noticed that the range hood isn't level.

Next, our granite was installed yesterday by our fabricator (now They did a Perfect job)... when my regular plumber wasn't going to be able to connect the faucet/sink until Wed I asked the GC if he had a plumber recommendation and he told me he could do the connections.

He came today at 10am and was here until 4pm, however the job still isn't done and this incident on top of the others has me questioning moving forward.

He connected everything with the cheapest plastic piping I have ever seen. Then when the water backed up he thought it was because there was a clog and left to get something to rod the pipe. In the meantime, I noticed that the drain basket "Kohler" branding wasn't symmetrical on both sinks. When he returned I asked him if he could fix it and he told me "Oh yes, they will be lined up when I tighten everything. I notice details like that too".

It wasn't until the end of the day that he realized that the wall drain is too high in comparison to the bottom of the sink and told me he would come back on Monday to fix the issue with heavier duty plastic piping that wouldn't leak with standing water and do a different configuration. Additionally, all along he has been telling me that his tile guy only does tile and has experience with hand-made tile if I go that direction. He said something today that lead me to think that he is leaning towards thinking he will just do the tile work himself... Definitely not something I am comfortable with, especially since he did not ensure that the Kohler drain baskets are lined up symmetrically. He corrected the branding slightly, but the pics speak for themselves. Perhaps I'm a perfectionist, but this was an easy thing for him to do perfectly especially since I mentioned it.

Comments (11)

• homebodyoasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Double bowl sink, left and right drain.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

The picture is small but, is the range hood what I see way out of level in the back/right of the picture? If so that doesn't look merely out of level, it's completely wrong!

I sort of had an answer in my mind before seeing that, and it changes everything in my opinion. If it's really dropping down a couple of inches at one corner and someone says it's good I wouldn't trust them to let the dog outside to go to the bathroom, let alone build a kitchen! Getting whatever amount of cash back from them I expect to be a challenge though.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I know people do DIY tile jobs & do an excellent job. If the original plan was to let the experienced tiler do it, I would stick with that plan or find another tiler.
    The plumbing & hood issues sound concerning but I'll those in the know comment.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I did change contractors mid project and I had to 1) pretty much let go of whatever had been paid to the first contractor, 2) find a contractor who was willing to take over mid stream without wanting to start completely over. and 3) get the first contractor to sign a paper that we agreed to sever the relationship and allow someone to take over from that point on. (The new contractor wanted this).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I question how smart a contractor is when he lets a homeowner even see a chip like that. I would have stopped whatever I was doing and fixed it immediately, even if I'd had to set a rag over it while I made a trip to get matching stain.

Is your hood tight to the cabinet? If so, is the cabinet out of level?

If I couldn't replumb a sink in 6 hours, I would throw all my tools off the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and follow in after them. I'd never give a homeowner the opportunity to spot mismatched drain baskets either.

Terminate the deal now, but don't expect to see any money back. Don't let him near that floor.

• homebodyoasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Schicksal and Trebruchet, attached is a better pic of the range. The cabinet is level... Trebuchet, thanks for the laugh about the bridge comment. :)

This has been quite the learning experience. Palimpsest, thanks for the tip.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

homebodyoasis:

Your hood doesn't look as out of level as it does "racked" or installed out of square. Proper shimming and it should be fine.

• homebodyoasis
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was able to get a check for a fair refund of the work not completed.

Thanks again everyone, not a comfortable conversation to have, but relieved that I made the decision to change.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

if all that is left to do is tiling floor, plumbing the sink and tiling the bs then you dont need a gc anyway.
    i would just hire a professional tile guy to do the floor and bs (or diy the bs ) and find your own plumber.
    we did a kitchen reno within the same footprint and did not use a gc. my kd was the owner of the kitchen place so her team (husband and 2 guys) did the new cab install. they do not do plumbing and have a plumber they work with. the guy was awesome and it was good to know it was done right. i am planning to diy my bs.
    it will be easier to find a tiler and a plumber than a gc, i would think.
    good luck:)
    oh and trebruchet i live in ny and it was 48 degrees today. i would kill to jump off the sunshine skyway bridge(that is the one crossing over from Tampa to the clearwater direction, right) i bet it is nice and sunny!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"oh and trebruchet i live in ny and it was 48 degrees today. i would kill to jump off the sunshine skyway bridge(that is the one crossing over from Tampa to the clearwater direction, right) i bet it is nice and sunny!"

Yes and yes, I drove over it today.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Homebodyoasis, So glad you were able to sever ties with the former GC and get some of your money back. Please keep us updated on the progress of your kitchen.