Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbpag

Basement kitchenette layout

mpagmom (SW Ohio)
12 years ago

I had a thread on this topic last month, but it wouldn't let me post anything new on it. Believe me, I tried.

OK, we're building a house and I need a design for the kitchenette in the basement. We already own the 36" counter-depth refrigerator, the 30" electric range, and the microhood. I am not at all interested in replacing these appliances, as they aren't that old and receive little use. This kitchen will give me overflow refrigerator storage and a second oven for those few times a year I need one. Other than that, my brother and his family use it when they stay with us - usually for a few weeks every other year. They have religious dietary restrictions and cook all their own food, but it's usually limited to frozen pizzas, frozen waffles, and cold cereal. (I wish I were making that up!) We don't need food prep space down there at all, but if someone is desperate there is a 3' x 5' table a few feet away. The smoothtop range can also be used for food prep space if necessary. We keep an entire set of dishes, glasses, and flatware down there, but we do not store any food.

The space is a niche so there are walls on both ends. The refrigerator is currently in a setup similar to this, so I know it can open freely even though it is right up against a wall.

We are thinking about using Ikea cabinets to keep the cost as low as possible. I'm not excessively familiar with Ikea sizes, but I tried to determine valid-sized cabinets from the web site. Here is the layout I've come up with based on what I think is available and the input I received before:

I was thinking the space between the refrigerator and sink would be a good place for a dish-drying rack and the space to the right of the range would be a good spot for a toaster. By the way, there is no need for a dishwasher because my brother won't use one.

All I really need to know now is the position of the sink for the rough plumbing before they pour the basement next week. I don't think it even has to be exact. For example, if I decide to do a 12" trash pullout and a 24" 3-drawer base, the sink would move over 6", but the rough plumbing location would still be fine. Does this layout seem like it will work?

Comments (18)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I am not good at layout, But 12" to the right of the stove seems so small, i just envision things dropping off it all the time.

Can you move the stove all the way right and get 30" counter between sink and stove?

Love the droll commentary about your brother. : )

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My brother is a real package, but I love him.

The 12" counter is up against a wall on the right side, so things can't drop off. When I posted this before people were concerned about putting the range up against that wall. The 12" wide cabinet was the smallest pullout I saw at Ikea.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

aha

ok --- well then I think if that is the case, everything else kind of falls into place? looks good to me

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I remember your thread. Your plan looks about as good as it can probably get. You might want to consider eliminating the 18" trash/recycle in favor of a freestanding for the little trash an occasional frozen pizza generates. But if you're good on storage otherwise even with the trash cab, then keep it.

• function_first
    12 years ago

"The smoothtop range can also be used for food prep space if necessary."

I think it will definitely get used as a food prep space because of the lack of a large area to prep. I used to have a kitchen with so little prep space that I got into the habit of doing this very thing. And I can tell you that in the 10 years that I worked like this there were several times that I inadvertently laid something down on a hot burner (having forgotten it was on) and nearly started a fire -- one time it was a bread wrapper which melted and the smoke/stench alerted me, once I charred a kitchen towel. Fortunately both times I caught my error before having a full out fire, but I was only seconds away from a very different ending.

Lack of prep space is a serious safety issue. I would reconsider including a stove in this plan. And if you go forward with it, I'd pony up for an induction range so that when a pizza box, or anything else combustible is put down on the hot burner it will not burn your house down. Really. With this arrangement it is only a matter of how long before the situation arises, not whether it will.

If you go forward with putting your existing stove down there, I'd push the sink cabinet up against the fridge, so that you have 36" of continuous work space to the left of the stove. It won't be as aesthetically pleasing as what you've designed, nor work as well, but it surely would increase your safety factor.

I would also plaster the ceiling with 5000 smoke alarms. And make sure nobody's bedroom is directly above the kitchenette.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kris_ma, you are right. It shouldn't be used for food prep, and there will be no food prep going on there. It would be more like landing space for hot items being taken out of the oven. Nobody ever uses the burners anyway. If someone were using the kitchenette for cooking in the future we would add a free-standing island for prep.

There does need to be space for a dish drainer rack to the left of the sink, so I will leave 12" for that, allowing me to increase the other counter space to a more respectable 24".

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

(Assuming Ikea cabinets)
    Suggestions :
    1) For your 18" pullout trash, put a 4" drawer on top and you will have 24" height still for your deep pullout. I have a similar setup in my kitchenette and the second shallow drawer is essential for serving and cooking utensils. 24" is plenty high for trash. Honestly though , my husband and boys pull the trash can out and leave it on the floor in front of the cabinet!

2. For your 3 drawer stack, perhaps change to a shallow top drawer, with a full height swing door with two internal pullouts that will be more flexible than two fixed drawers, since you can change the height at any time. Another alternative is a shallow drawer with a 24 inch deep pullout underneath and an additional internal pullout drawer or two above that. I have found one of these useful for storing large and baking roasting pans. the portable induction unit, and use the pullout on top for the racks that come with the OTR convection microwave.The second such unit stores the large water cases on the bottom deep pullout and soda can packs on the two internal shallow pullouts.

3. Consider a shorter cabinet (6 inches shorter?) above your sink for breathing space with a shelf underneath. We put a shelf with metal rods in that location (not yet added in pictures below) and it has been very handy for drying things.

4. Lastly, and for this one I have a picture, you can create a deep 24 inch pullout under your sink. I store the costco size paper products here- stacks of paper plates, cups, napkins, anything large with height. Just arrange it so that it doesn't hit the plumbing.

We LOVE our basement kitchenette!

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

Oops in the post above in #2 omit the word "24 inch". That width applies to my water/soda can cabinet but not to you.

• aa62579
    12 years ago

Have you ever seen any of the dish racks and drainers that go inside the cabinets? They are more common in other countries. If you had an option like this, it would give you more freedom with your sink placement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dish Rack and Drainage Tray to purchase in US

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

aa65279, that is completely cool. I'm going to look into that.

scrappy25, thank you so much for the specific Ikea suggestions and the helpful pictures (I love your floor!). I know I'm going to have to take a day and go down to Ikea and play. I had already created a layout with a shelf, but I hadn't posted it yet. I love that grundtal wall shelf, and two of them will fit pretty perfectly in my space. I like the idea of a pullout under the sink. If I don't use a real sink base cabinet (which I couldn't find any smaller than 24") perhaps I could use an 18" cabinet and get a little more storage to the right of the sink. I'll have to look into pullouts or internal drawers to the right of the sink based on what I have to store there. It isn't much, but I need empty storage space for any food my brother buys.

I also decided to ditch the 12" pullout to the right of the range. I know it isn't optimal to put a range right up against a wall, but I will tile the wall there and it will be fine. My current basement kitchenette has this setup and it works, particularly since nobody uses the burners. If someone does they can turn the pan handles to the other side and get over it. My current basement kitchenette passed the building code inspection, by the way. Here's my latest plan. I'll tweak the cabinet types and sizes based on my future field trip to Ikea.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Sounds like I showed up too late to the party and the kitchenette is a wrap! And here I was, all prepared to procrastinate my kitchen layout over here. I guess I'll just have to go with you to IKEA for the field trip! We are considering IKEA ourselves, but I'm going to do some other quotes to compare. I was stunned, though, when the IKEA software put my kitchen+banquette at 8,000 including all appliances and trims...

In any case, I'm loving the final here and am not really sure that 12" on the right of the stove got you much. My little 'wings' on each side of the stove bugs me and we never use it for prep or anything else particularly useful. As long as it isn't a fire hazard, seems all good to me!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Steph2000, there will be another party soon. This is just the kitchenette in the basement. Soon I will have to finalize my real kitchen that I actually use and care about.

Now I'm procrastinating by looking at all the cool stuff on the Ikea website. Is this faucet not adorable?

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Wow, I've never seen a faucet like that. Even remotely. How fun!

Whee, a virtual IKEA shopping trip. lol

Can't wait to see your ideas for your kitchen. Is there a (dreaded word coming) timeline on finalization?

• house_obsessed
    12 years ago

One other suggestion...not everyone may agree...but it's worth thinking about. I'd consider sliding the sinkbase over to abut the refrigerator, giving you a respectable 48" of counter between sink and range. I know,it's not optimal to have one side closed off, but in two houses I have had this and it works OK, if it's not a primary sink used for all kinds of prep and wash-up. In one case, it was a prep sink, in the other it's a largish prep sink, which is also used for washing some pots and pans, etc.

If you can find and use of those cool dishracks that go in the cupboards, it would really be perfect. But even if not, I would assume that dishrack would be needed on the counter AFTER meals, while countertop space would be helpful before meals. So the dishrack could be stored under the sink until needed and countertop can do double duty.

• kitschykitch
    12 years ago

You are a good sister is all i say!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've been toying with the idea of the sink next to the refrigerator since kris_ma suggested it. Here is a picture of an even smaller kitchen pulled from the Ikea website:

Ikea also has a couple dish racks that can hang from a rail. Here is one:

So, steph2000, the party is clearly not over. I don't have a definite timeline, but my builder seems to think I'll be ordering cabinets in 6 weeks. Yikes! So far all that is ordered is the windows.

I'll work on another layout with the sink next to or closer to the refrigerator.

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

OK, I think you are wise to get that extra counter space and the 30 inch wide drawers by pushing your oven over. The 30 inch drawers will hold a lot more than 18" and 12" drawers side by side in the same space. The grundtals are great, just wish they made it in more widths. Might it be possible to have 18-36-18 widths for your uppers over the sink and just have the grundtal under the 36 cabinet level with the bottom of the 18's , same as the bottom level of the microhood? That will save you some closed reachable cabinet space. BTW, make sure you account for all the cover panels you will need- poss one on each side of the MW,tall ones on each side of the fridge.

I have two more ideas from my kitchenette to share with you.

1. Over fridge pullouts (24 inch deep). I posted about these in the over fridge pullout thread. These wire baskets are great because I can see what is in them and poke my finger through to tip over the cereal boxes or snack boxes so I can grab them from the front or side.

{{!gwi}}

2. Tall broom closet in otherwise wasted 9" space- this space was needed potentially for a fridge door to open completely.(not this fridge but my side by side which is slated to move into this space when the upstairs kitchen is renovated). I also mounted a Perfekt cubby wall cabinet inside this broom closet to the side panel (after this picture was taken) which holds cleaning materials. This closet also holds my broom, my mop, a fold up stepladder, and my husband has taken to hanging his shirts in there! (he has turned this kitchenette and the adjacent bath into his morning preparation area). I realize you don't really have the space for this, unless you took 6" away from the space between the sink and the stove. If you don't have a place otherwise to store your broom and cleaning supplies this is da bomb. BTW the broom closet "door" is made of birch Ikea shelving that matched my cabinet doors.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have to run out to pick up my daughter, but I wanted to post the latest based on input from scrappy25. Thanks again for all the input and tips. I'm new to this Ikea business, so I have a feeling I'll have a lot of questions for you. I love those pull-out shelves over the refrigerator. Gotta get me some!

I put in the taller faucet that I showed a picture of above - don't know if I'll use it, but I put it in for now. I think these are all real Ikea cabinet sizes. I tried not to make anything up!

By the way, as a test I made dinner tonight using only a 30" space of countertop, so I know that's a functional (if not optimal) amount of prep space.

I'll have to have my husband vote on the two latest designs. I don't know if his vote will count, but I'll let him vote anyway.

Thanks again to everyone for the help!