Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Xpost; Input on finished for unfitted kitchen?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

I think I am pretty set on my layout. By way of background:

We expect to eat most lunches and dinners in the dining room, which has a china closet and a buffet with storage, oh, and the ocean view!

I also have a pantry for storage, in addition to the built ins in the butler's pantry and the built in china closet in the kitchen. The two windows you see along the appliance wall will probably be replaced with slightly larger ones (and, in the case of the sink area, higher windows, too)

My real question are in re finishes. I'd love input.

Here is rough draft moodboard: (the sink and appliances are definites, and the built-ins stay, and, I am trying to keep the wood trim and doors)
{{gwi:1853488}}

Here is a layout:
{{gwi:1853490}}

Here are my questions (see numbers in green on the layout)

FINISH QUESTION 1. This area has a sink with drainboard, a small amount of formica counter, and sits on white metal cabinets and an old dishwasher. (this is how it looks now)

I want to rip out the lower portion, and put a pull out trash on the left, sink in middle, and dishdrawer to the right.

I can't and don't want to match the other cabinetry in the "L" of the Butler's pantry? What should the new lower cabs look like, and what countertop?

FINISH QUESTION 2. This is designed to be about 4 feet of uninterrupted work space (coffee maker, toaster and microwave go in the existing pantry "L"). I was thinking of a Boos island piece, but we have a trusted carpenter who can do something totally custom.

So something like this island below, BUT, painted off white (we have so much wood already), and topped with marble or stainless. I don't care about marble durability as this would be a remnant size and so not crazy to replace.

{{gwi:1853494}}

FINISH QUESTION 3. This is the spot for our (second) FP Tall dishdrawer ( a first one is in the BP). It needs to be placed in a cabinet and the cabinet needs a surface. I think this (smaller) surface should be a nice, very thick slab of butcher block. For cutting veggies and fruit, you are right next to my double drainboard sink. But what should the cabinet itself look like.

Thanks in advance for your input and ideas!

FWIW, here are some before pictures of the kitchen and bulter's pantry.

You can't see it, but this is the "L" of the Butler's pantry. Uppers to one side are glass, others are open shelves. Counters are same wood as lower cabs.

Everything to be gutted and probably new windows here.

{{gwi:1853497}}

I have not decided about the table yet...

{{gwi:1840674}}

{{gwi:1580720}}

PS here is a better fabric photo, but this is not very important at this juncture of course!
{{gwi:1810275}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Please help me with my new unfitted kitchen, thanks!

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 10:09

Comments (8)

• kai615
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

mtnrdredux. I must preface this, with I was 50/50 with giving you this link. I absolutely love the look, but in no way can I condone ordering from them. I found them 3 years ago before we really got into the gutting of our kitchen.

My issue is I went to use them a couple of months ago and their site was down, I left a message at the phone number I had for them. I was heart broken. I did some more searching and found another web site with the exact same photographs. I mean the exact same, even the "workbench photos". So I called them. I was told by that company that the other was no longer in business and it was a husband and wife and they split up.

I sent my designs for a quote. Meanwhile the other company called me back (the wife) and gave a completely different story. I sent her the designs and said I wouldn't get in the middle of a divorce, but would treat them as two companies bidding. One company got back to me with a quote on the wrong project (my design, wrong feet, wrong wood, wrong finish, wrong doors.... yeah I have hopes they will get the project correct) one called me back every week for 3 weeks to say they hadn't forgot me, then forgot me and never quoted me. Really, how long should it take to quote 3 cabinets.

I think my order was just too small for either to care about. You would be in the same boat.

Because of the lead time involved to begin with, I have decided not to chase these people around. I certainly would not recommend ordering from them. But the style is fabulous for an unfit kitchen. If you have a cabinet builder in your area maybe they could do something similar for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: unfit cabinets

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, I can't imagine there are a lot of Amish divorces .... wonder if they were appropriating the good reputation of that group. Thanks for the link, and sorry you got such a run -around!

It looks far fancier than what I want. The home is a 1906 Dutch Colonial beachhouse. I want the kitchen to look like it was "redone" in say, the 40s, but still in a utilitarian fashion for primary use by domestic help.

• kai615
    10 years ago

LOL, no they are not Amish. They are designers who outsource to the Amish and Mennonite builders in the area.

I think the upper cabinets and the whole collection together makes it seem overly fancy. The cabinets we were going for were very simple lower cabs with wood tops, no uppers, simple doors, simple feet. Kind of like the picture here without the upper pantry portion. More of the basic cabinets, not the fancy, but still off the ground to look like furniture and keep the feel of the unfit kitchen.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, i see, that's very nice! Reminds me a bit of a Hoosier. So what are your plans now?

• kai615
    10 years ago

We were already custom building the floor to ceiling built in, so we decided to make the few cabs we needed from them ourselves. I hate to admit we haven't started building them yet. We just finally finished installing our stained shiplap walls behind the stove and sink area.

We are redoing our entire house all at the same time and got a little sidetracked working in the master bedroom and bath area wiring for electric before it gets too dark early in the evening to do work up there.

Ahh, the joys of renovation ;-) Someday I may miss it all. Back to full force on the kitchen in a couple of weeks.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I love shiplap! You must post it when you are done, it sounds like a cool kitchen.

• kai615
    10 years ago

I will post. It will probably be next year, but I will post. It will probably be titled "a very, very not white kitchen" ;-)

• sena01
    10 years ago

I don't have any answers for you, but just a suggestion re your layout.

If you decide to change the windows, would it be possible to have 3 windows, the size as the one in the butlers? You could then have the sink under the middle one, move DW to the left and on its left have something like your work island (maybe smaller) to keep some towels, DW detergent, etc.nearby .