Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My gel stain adventure (bathroom project)

Posted by lisa_wi (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 23:31

I'm planning to gel stain the large builtins in the family room eventually but wanted to start with a smaller project so today I did the bathroom tub surround and vanity! Still need to topcoat but that will have to wait for another day. I used General Finishes gel stain in Georgian Cherry (gasp, not java!!) there is tile in the bathroom that is reddish so I wanted the cherry to tie in with that.

Tub Before:

Untitled

And after:

Untitled

Vanity before:

Untitled

After (hardware is the stuff from my pre-remodel kitchen that I saved):

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My gel stain adventure (bathroom project)

Looks very nice-isn't it amazing how a (relatively)small change like that brightens the entire room ?

o

Awesome! What a transformation. Great job.

o

Wow, it's almost like seeing an old color movie that's been recolorized! So much life in it now. Looks great!

o

I believe you live near the MKE area. Did you buy this (general finishes) locally? I am having a hard time finding it locally but I can get it special ordered by a large hardware store.

o

I love the way it turned out and wanted to post pictures since it was a different color than the java that you usually see. The room looks so different. Of course DH is finding all kinds of other projects he'd like to do in there now, but the gel stain was by far the cheapest!

bcafe - there is a Rockler store in MKE that I got it at. You can order it online from them as well. FYI I got the smallest half pint size of the stain and only used half of it for my project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockler MKE store

o

Thanks! The hardware store actually called Rockler and they needed to order it too. Maybe there was a run on gel stain. I am going to stain our bathroom vanity too. It is currently 1976 dark brown oak, so of course I will go with Java! :)

o

Nice job!
After seeing this, I might try it in 2 bathrooms. The third is laminate, so a no go.
Congratulations!

o

Nice job; it makes such a difference. I bet it was hard to do that toe kick area.

o

What a difference! Looks fabulous.
It's nice to see a different color of gel stain besides dark java. I like the dark java fine, just like to see options.

FYI @a2gemini - I have gel stained over laminate side panels successfully. You just need something to act as a barrier/bond coat. I use this stuff called "prime etch" by a company called faux effects. I don't remember the website, but I'm sure you could google it. It's really for professional painters but they'll sell it to anyone.

It's clear stuff you paint on, and it sticks to anything and you can top coat it with anything. I've even used it to make paint stick to ceramic tile! (I don't work for them. I just love this stuff. LOL)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here