Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hest88

Done! Pictures of black and white and green kitchen!

hest88
16 years ago

Tear-down started in mid-July, and we passed inspections last Friday. Yayyyyy!

Old "eye-bleed" kitchen, left over from the previous owner.

New (pardon the "moving in" mess):

Specs:

Kitchen is 11.5 x 13, with 8.5 ft ceilings.

- 30" BlueStar RNB in white

- 36" Broan Rangemaster 60000 hood, 1200 cfm

- Miele Diamante dishwasher

- Crystal Quest cabinets in Frosty White

- Cambrian black antique granite

- Marmoleum in Silver Shadow

- Kindred US1930/90RK/E sink (the Estate series 30" one)

- Danze Sonora two handle pull-down faucet (which we got super-cheap at an Amazon sale)

- Insinkerator Evolution Compact disposal and airswitch

- KitchenAid KSCS25FTMS refrigerator

- Paint: SW Filmy Green and Greek Villa

- Hardware: Sonoma Hardware (eBay store) knobs in pewter, Restoration hardware pulls in brushed nickel, and one splurge Turnstyle Designs frog knob from Hardware Hut

- Lighting - Elko 5" fluorescent recessed, one Hudson Valley pendant, and some cheap fluorescent undercabs that the lighting store picked out.

I can't thank the GW people here enough. I actually joined GW something like seven years ago but it took me this long to get up the gumption to go through with the kitchen remodeling.

Comments (29)

• mysterymachine
    16 years ago

Wow... I am normally not a white cabinet guy but I really like your new kitchen. Something about the simple white cabs, the subtle gleam of the stainless, the strength of the black granite, and the soft/cool color is very peaceful and soothing to me. Well done! Nice touch with the white accents on the stainless appliances - that must not have been easy to find.

• rhome410
    16 years ago

Very nice. Looks like a whole new/different house. Love the white BlueStar!

• teedup1
    16 years ago

Instead of "eye bleed", it's real eye candy. Food will taste so much better made in your new surroundings. Great updated look!

• emmie9999
    16 years ago

Very, very pretty! You made quite a transformation happen, congratulations!

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

frog knob, where is it ?

gorgeous kitchen, what a difference !!!!!!!

• zeebee
    16 years ago

It's hard to believe that's the same space. Your new kitchen looks so clean, elegant and classic. Nice job!

• cotehele
    16 years ago

There are kitchens still around with metal-edged counters besides mine! Love the white. Your new do looks great!

• theresab1
    16 years ago

looks great! congrats, and enjoy!

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

It went from barely functional to SOOTHING, stylish and functional! :) GREAT Job! I know you're so happy to have it in and walls primed and painted! :) Enjoy your new kitchen and all the decisions you had to put into it! It looks GREAT! :) Love the new windows and door..amazing how they can transform a look! :)
    Tara

• basnjas
    16 years ago

Such great use of natural lighting! Removing the old curtains and adding the 9-pane door really does a lot. I love your choice of cabinets and the soft colors on your walls and floors.

Really well done!

• zoenipp
    16 years ago

VERY NICE! I especially like your color scheme, Marmoleum, and white Bluestar. What a transformation of your kitchen!

• bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Congratulations! Perfect green color!

That scalloped molding is SO adorable! I love it!

Francy

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

That is sooooooooooooo nice. I am a big fan of white cabinets. Your kitchen is very classy.

I don't see the splurge knob either. Where is it?

And congrats!

• hest88
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all! Here's a fuzzy picture of the frog knob:

Here is a link that might be useful: Frog Knob at Hardware Hut

• Buehl
    16 years ago

It's on the upper cabinet to the left of the sink!

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Oh. I love this kitchen.

• cindylou2006
    16 years ago

One of the best "before and after" kitchens yet. Love the soothing colors. We purchased a "gecko" knob for ours, but haven't decided where to put the little guy yet. Nice job!

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

What a tranformation! Beautiful kitchen, I just love your flooring.

• stiles
    16 years ago

You have given me hope! We started our remodel in Mid-July and are so close to being done-but it feels like forever! You did a fabulous make-over! Enjoy such a well-functioning and beautiful space.
    Melinda

• lily1342
    16 years ago

Mmmmmm beautiful. BEAUTIFUL!

Somehow I missed this one when it first posted. Glad to see it brought back. Have you put up any window treatments since?

• hest88
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Awww, thanks all.

Lily, we're still deciding and have those cheap temporary paper blinds on them right now. We will probably end up with white honeycomb shades--which we have elsewhere in the house--just to keep it all clean and neutral. Also, since we're close to the street, I like being able to open the shades from the top down.

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I really like the way you've used the space -- Makes so much more sense to me, and I like the look too (I'm another white ktichen person and have Cambrian Black on my island). I think simple window coverings are a good idea - simple, let light through and still give you some provacy. Nice job!

• lily1342
    16 years ago

Yeah, like the idea of keeping the window treatments clean, crisp, neutral. Forgot, I was gonna say before, that marmoleum floor is LUSCIOUS!

• curiousnyc
    16 years ago

How is the matte Cambrian Black working out for you now, a month+ later? Was it sealed? Enhanced? We are looking at similar surfaces, and not getting a lot of sound advice from contractors/vendors.

BTW, congratulations on a beautiful kitchen!

• jayav
    16 years ago

Any feedback on the cambrian black counter?

• lascatx
    16 years ago

I'm not the OP, but I have brushed Cambrian Black and love it after 1 year.

• hest88
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Like Lascatx, I love our countertops. Super low maintenance, hides fingerprints and most stains and spills, and attractive in an understated way. You might also want to check out this current thread:

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Cambrian Black thread

• jayav
    16 years ago

Thanks Lascatx and hestt88...I picked up a sample of cambrian black antique yesterday and am loving it so far.

• starpooh
    16 years ago

May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the Category Checklist form.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist