Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tangy5566

Tentative about the Two Tone look...help.

tangy5566
13 years ago

I am new to GardenWeb and hoping to get some support and ideas to help me with my kitchen remodel. We have already ordered kitchen cabinets from a company called Shiloh;shaker style beaded inset in egg shell white with a cafe hi-light, island in maple with espresso finish. I am having doubts about the two tone look and need advice about counter tops. Does anyone have pictures of a two tone kitchen they are happy with. Any thoughts on counter choices/color scheme? I would appreciate any advice & support. Thanks.

Comments (26)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

What you are getting is an extremely popular look that should not be difficult to find on Google image. What is commonly done is a dark countertop (granite, soapstone) on the white and a light (white quartz, marble, granite) on the island. I did all white marble throughout my kitchen and it looks great (imho).

Here is a link that might be useful: my finished kitchen

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think if you have 2 different cab colors and 2 countertop colors, then you are describing a 4 tone look.
    I think I'd rather do all the counters the same if the cabs were 2 tone or 2 tone counters with all the same color cabs.

The 4 tone look is currently popular, but that would be what worries me. I always try to think of what will look timeless and not be easily identified as to when it was done.

• tangy5566
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to both of you for your feedback. Sabjimata, your kitchen looks wonderful. I love the open look you've created and think the marble looks great too. I also love marble, but have been told many times not to consider this due to the staining factor. I have not researched too much about it, but will, now that I have seen it in your kitchen. Are you happy with it? Do you have much maintenance Any regrets? I agree with both of you, that the same counters would be a better choice with two different cabinet colors. Still making a commitment on anything is difficult, such a permanent decision. I want to LOVE it. Thanks again for the suggestions.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

You should get what you love! ItâÂÂs good to play it safe to a point but you know styles are going to change regardless of how safe you play it. I remember the late eighties and early nineties when everyone was using (in my area) some type of white or off white floor and off white walls and off white countertops and white or off white appliances because they were safe and would stay in style forever. Now, while those colors are still easy to decorate with for some, the materials in those colors that keep it up to date have changed. I remember someone here making a point that even if your cabinets look outdated down the road someone will still appreciate them if they are quality cabinets. I like that way of thinking because although I have done an upper painted cabinet with stained perimeter cabinets someone could come in and just paint the uppers to a color of their liking to put their stamp on it or I could change the color if I felt like it. I also have two different granites which if I resale may not be for everyone, if they donâÂÂt like it maybe they can get away with just replacing one top. DonâÂÂt know, but what it all comes down to is getting something you like because one could just go on and on with reading into the future of kitchens

• dianalo
    13 years ago

They key here is the word "tentative". If I heard that she loved her idea of 2 different counters with her 2 different cabs, then I would not have posted as I did.

If someone is not sure of something, that means they are not in love with a look or choice.

I do not try to predict what will be "in" but try to avoid anything that is too "in" unless I happen to love it enough. If there are 2 choices I like evenly and 1 is more popular currently, that would be a push the other choice for me.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

dianalo, I hope you didn't think I was directing my opinions toward you? I really respect all your input here and I was just giving my take. Sorry if I gave you the wrong idea :)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Tangy--The counters have been in use since June and I love them. The perimeter is polished and the island is honed. I do most of my work at the island. There is etching that is only noticeable in certain light on the honed--where my kids do citrus juicing. I am a super messy cook. Lots of frying, turmeric and mess. I often don't clean up until the next morning. Everything has wiped clean! It was sealed with a silicone sealer before installation. Couldn't be happier with them

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Tangy-- I have 2 cabinet finishes in my kitchen. My perimeter cabinetry is an inset med to dark cherry with black glazing. My island is a creamy white with a brown glaze. I have a really big kitchen and it took 3 large slabs of granite to cover the cabinets. I went with one granite color that I thought went well with both finishes. I am really glad I did that. I do have days where I wish I had just gone with one cabinet finish in my kitchen, but I have never regretted going with only one countertop material.
    By the way, I used Yellow River granite and it is beautiful! It ties all of my finishes together!

• sewmuch2
    13 years ago

Michellemarie - can you post a picture? Your kitchen sounds similar to what I am planning - dark stained maple perimter, creamy white island with highlight. I always see the reverse, so would love to see a pic similar to what I have in mind. Thanks in advance!

• tangy5566
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sabjimata-that sounds very promising about the marble. Like you I am a messy cook and often leave things till the morning as well. I am definitely going to keep the marble in consideration.
    Michellemarie- i would love to see your kitchen photos as well. I will be doing the reverse, but am interested to see your materials together. Thanks for the input.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Jterr - quick note - I did not take offense but wanted to clarify in case I gave the wrong impression. I once bought a green Honda because I loved how it looked with the cream leather interior and the other choices to get the cream interior did not speak to me. My green choice was the most popular one that year but I did not regret it because I really enjoyed it every time I saw it. It was a '95 and I'd still be driving it if it hadn't been totaled a few years ago.

I just try to avoid trendy because I think trendy belongs with accessories and not long term fixtures, unless one is loaded with money (which we definitely are not, lol) or truly in love for the long haul with that trend.

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

I don't know how how to paste one photo. One of these days I will try to figure it out. The kitchen was part of a 3 story bump out on a 2 story full walkout. The individual photos have info about them. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: two tone kitchen and other stuff

• niffy
    13 years ago

I had the same angst... I was drawn to white cabinets, but I didn't want a white island that could get banged up by kicking feet. And I "needed" two types of countertops- we really wanted marble but were afraid to do the whole kitchen in it.... I second guessed my decisions a million times, until I went back through my inspiration files and discovered how many kitchens I had saved had dark islands with light tops and light perimeters with dark tops. Now that we are living with these choices, I couldn't be happier.... Go with your gut and look back on what you have been drawn to....

Here is a link that might be useful: Niffy's kitchen

• doonie
    13 years ago

tangy, I really knew I wanted 2 wood tones in my kitchen to continue the mixing of wood species and stains that I have in the rest of my house. (I love the white kitchens, but I didn't feel that or painted cabinets would flow with my home.) I went with 2 of my favorite woods, a perimeter of medium cherry and a center island of lighter distressed maple. So, my cabinets do not have a high contrast look. I was reluctant to go darker with the cherry, but maybe I could have, because I was remodeling a kitchen with a dark claustrophobic feel to it, so I wanted to open it up more. I went with 2 different counter tops too. A light quartz on the cherry perimeter and a dark granite on the lighter maple island.

Working with 4 colors was tough. I was set on my quartz color and my flooring, but it took a lot of time to figure out what I could use for my island counter top. Finally I came upon leathered Antique Brown Granite. Even after that decision, the island took more time to complete. We had 3 different tops (it kept breaking at the fabricators) and a change in fabricators to finally get it installed.

We've been living with it for a couple of months now. We spend a ton of time in our new space and I am very happy with my selections. The kitchen layout is very functional, which is ultimately what is most important to me, and I love being surrounded by my selections to boot. Let us know what you decide on!

So, I think what diannalo said was very important. You should only do this type look if it really appeals to you. It may or may not end up "dating" the kitchen. Plus you are the one living with it and spending a lot of time and money on it.

michellemarie, that is lovely! What a beautiful home you have.

niffy, I love your kitchen too! Great job!

Here is a link that might be useful: Doonie's Kitchen

• tangy5566
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michelmarie: Thanks for posting your pics. Your kitchen is very beautiful & grand. The details are very beautiful indeed. Its good to see the combination of materials you used. Your sink is so unique. I think my kitchen will have more of a casual feel with simpler lines, in keeping with the rest of my house.
    Doonie: thanks for your input as well. Your kitchen is also beautiful. Blending the two wood tones is something I never would have thought of, but you blended them perfectly. The kitchen looks warm, but still looks light and airy. I love it. The chandelier is stunning, where did you find that? i love the counters on the perimiter, what are they called?
    Niffy: Your kicthen came out fantastic! and is most similar to what I would like to see happen in my kitchen or very close. The cabinets are beautiful the counters look great, especially the marble island top. I am very interested in seeing that Aqua granite as well. All of the materials are beautiful. I know I will be disecting your photos many times over to help with my choices. I was especially happy to see the cabinets against your floors, which a a dead ringer for mine. So many photos have darker floors with the dark island, giving it an even sleeker look. I am happy to see it looks just as well with a different tone wood.
    I can't thank you all enough. I have some great references to go with now. I will keep this post updated with anything new :))

• doonie
    13 years ago

tangy, the chandelier is Neirman Weeks Italian Chandelier. It took a long time to figure out the right light fixture. Thanks! Perimeter counters are Yellow Nile Silestone in leather finish. I'm very happy with them.

I'm excited for you and will be looking for what you choose!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Hi Tangy, my little kitchen is not yet finished, but here is one that shows my three different countertops and two different cabinet colors. I am very happy with it and think the mixing has made a small kitchen more interesting. Just out of camera view is the tiny nook area that at the moment has a big ladder and heap of remodel supplies...that area will have yet another top of stainless for narrow hightop seating.
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20progress%20pictures/?action=view&current=partoffinishedkitchen049.jpg"; target="_blank">

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

This is such an interesting thread. I love the idea of two cabinets and two countertops...but in my case, I'm dealing with a much more limited budget :)

I've been thinking of having the exterior cabinets warm white, with a blue island (my mom calls it robin's egg blue). The hutch and maybe a plate rack, would be the same blue.

White marble would be beautiful on the island and it's nice to see that it holds up better than I thought it would. I also thought of using white quartz. Does anyone have problems with these surfaces being too shiny, when the lights are shining on them?

Any suggestions for the perimeter countertop? There's not that much (just an L-shape kitchen) with fridge and ovens on either end...probably 10' on the sink wall (counting the corner) and 9' on the stove wall. Of course, the stove doesn't count, so even less than that. LOL

All of your kitchens are so beautiful! I'm sure the OP has gotten some wonderful ideas :)

• tangy5566
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Doonie: Thanks for the info...i really do love the chandelier, and your counters look great in your kitchen. I'm still considering all options. I'm glad your happy with everything, and why wouldn't you be, it's beautiful.
    jterrilyn: Your kitchen does not look small to me. It's open, and inviting and beautiful. The cabinets are great. I like that you did the uppers in white and wood on the lower cabinets. It gives lot of interest to the room. Great job.
    Love the light fixture too, where did you find that? and what did you use on the counters and backsplash. Love it all.
    lavender: Good luck. i like your idea of the robins egg blue island with the warm white cabinets. I can appreciate those colors together. I don't have any suggestions for the counters, since I'm new to this also. I do think the marble would look beautiful on the island. Would you consider doing the whole kitchen in marble? It seems like it should stay light and natural throughout. keep us posted.
    Thanks all.

• clueless_70
    13 years ago

I'm about to order my cabinets, and have settled on a creamy white perimeter and dark island. My guy is upgrading my island to cherry (without an upcharge), so that I'll get a better colour on the island.
    I was ambivalent about it at first, but all the pictures I was drawn to had this effect.
    To me, it makes the island more like a piece of furniture.
    I will be using the same granite throughout, though. To me, this will tie it all together, and avoid that choppy look that I'm afraid of.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi tangy,

Welcome to GW. This is a wonderful place for ideas, support
    and guidance. I love the idea of two different woods
    (& white) and counter tops in the kitchen. My kitchen does
    not have the space for this style, I love it though. If
    you are "tentative" it might be that you are just second
    guessing yourself. This is very common among those on GW.
    We worry, fret, can't decide, need input, need ideas,
    advice, and sometimes someone to hold our hand. You are not
    alone. The kitchen reno process can be rough but it can
    also be wonderful. Maybe these images can help you see
    what it might look like in your space.
    Good luck and keep us all posted.
    ~boxerpups
    This is from Finished Kitchen Blog another GW person LLEET

Kitchen Islands

Heidi Clare White Kitchens

Antique Cabs

Hi Lavender,
    These images are for you. Robins Egg Blue...Love it. Notice the different counter top ideas.
    All lovely,
    ~boxerpups

Kitchen and Bath Ideas

Fornor Lavoy 20

Shelley Gordon Viahou

• theanimala
    13 years ago

What a coincidence, we did Shiloh Inset (no bead), Off White perimeter with maple espresso stained island. I can see where someone might think this is trendy now and out of style in the future, but serious, what isn't? Regardless, we love it, and wanted to break up the monotony.

Here's a picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: Two Tone Shiloh Kitchen

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

We like our 2 tones...

{{gwi:1576995}}

From the "Behind the Scenes" photos, you can see that the cabinets flanking the fridge are also dark.

{{!gwi}}

• motleydog
    13 years ago

We are thinking of using two tones to try to bring the house together. Our bathrooms have espresso cabinets but the living area and office have cherry and alder woods in a cinnamon stain, sort of orange tones to me.

For the kitchen, we are considering espresso on the perimeter (restaining the existing oak cabinets) and replace the island using maple or cherry in cinnamon stain. The countertops on both will be Desert Limestone Caesarstone.

Have not seen that combination on this site and am a bit worried it doesn't work.

Any comments?

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Boxerpups- Thank you :)

• tangy5566
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups: Thank you...so thoughtful of you to post all those finished pics. These are great references. Let's just say I am not as "tentative" anymore. I feel more confident the two tone look will work. Love the robins egg blue images as well...very beautiful. Still more to consider as we proceed, but feeling better. Thanks.
    Motleydog: I have not seen that combination of tones together...but it sounds interesting. I will post pics if I come across anything similar. Good luck with your kitchen!