Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Square or tapered hood?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Okay, I think I'm pretty good with design in general, but the art of exhaust hood selection, well...I got nothin'. So, here's the work wall of our kitchen (after I give the GC one of my kidneys to move the window). We will have a 10'6" island with a prep sink, trash, and microwave as well.
Overall vibe is simple, kind of Scandinavian flavored. Like the Hansen Design kitchens. I think I may tile the entire wall in matte, soft white, 2X6 subway tile.
What works here? Square tiled hood? Tapered drywall hood? Metal chimney hood? Other? I'm at an absolute loss.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (21)

• Vertise
    9 years ago

I think alternating the shape works good. Styling and materials make a huge difference though so, as always, depends.

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you mean by alternating the shape? Thanks!

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Variety of shapes. Something other than than another box or square.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Do an insert under a big square drywall box that is the same tile, only gloss istead of matte. Tone on tone. Use a stainless edge piece at the bottom of the hood to echo the stainless of the fridge and tie them together. The massing of the hood shoud be oversized, and echo the bulk of the refrigerator side. The tone on tone will keep it from looming..

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That sounds pretty cool...

• scrappy25
    9 years ago

You have got to see this tapered copper hood by a Canadian designer, Carol Reed, in this incredible Ikea kitchen. If you look at the bottom links there is one to a sneak peek which shows the finished kitchen. Your wall layout reminded me of this.

There's also a pdf of a magazine article on this kitchen. The hood is partially seen on the second page.

https://static.squarespace.com/static/5352b05be4b0d2db4455634c/t/536d017be4b03f5f653fc406/1399652731294/Reed%20Kitchen%20Feb%202013.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Carol Reed Tapered Hood Kitchen plan

• taggie
    9 years ago

I think a tapered metal hood or a chimney hood would look best in your space.

But what's really bothering my eyes are all those small and busy upper doors and their lack of symmetry with the fridge. They draw the eye up where you don't want it to be.

I would strongly recommend the traditional two doors over the fridge, and a single one to the left aligned with your pantry.

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

...what taggie says, x2

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Taggie, I have modified the cabinets and I agree! Stupid question: where does one shop for those decorative metal hoods?

scrappy, that is gorgeous, thank you!

Here is a modified photo. Not sure how I'm liking my wall of subway tile. Seems oppressive. One more thing to figure out!

• eam44
    9 years ago

In real life walls of subway tile only look like that when you use white tiles and grey grout. If you were to use almost any other combination (i.e. white tile with white grout) you wouldn't get that oppressive look. That said there are any number of options for your backsplash, you don't even have to use tile. Do you have it in your budget to consider using sheets of tempered glass?

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Yes that shows dark grout. I would be concerned about the noise factor with all the expanses of hard ,sound refective surfaces. I hear a sharp echo in there.

• voila
    9 years ago

I think hollysprings had a great idea. You could even put a small upper cabinet to the right of the hood. Find a picture of mtnredux's beach house kitchen reveal. Her tiled hood blended into the walls beautifully. If it weren't so late, I would search for it, sorry.

• taggie
    9 years ago

Kiwigem, the new rendering looks fantastic. You asked where to shop for metal hoods ... I'm not actually sure because I have a wood hood myself, I just think a metal one would look great in your more contemporary space.

I believe modernaire is a good source, very high end but with prices that reflect same. :) And I love the one scrappy linked! You can also search through houzz for metal hoods and there will be linked sources at the bottom.

I second eam44 on the backsplash ... your rendering shows it with dark gray grout but it won't look like that with white grout.

Good luck with your new kitchen!

• stan01435
    9 years ago

Some practical advice: whatever you choose make sure that there isn't a sharp edge on the hood at forehead level that you (or someone a few inches taller or shorter) will gash her head on frequently while working at the cooktop. Look for rounded, smooth corners. Speaking from experience here ....

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

You don't need to confine yourself to square or tapered. How about something less imposing and more clean-lined, with a bit of a curve?:

Here is a link that might be useful: Euro-style range hood

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 14:47

• teacats
    9 years ago

Kind of a cool idea for a hood with horizontal wood strips -- and a nice backsplash too ....

Here is a link that might be useful: another idea for a hood --pin from Pinterest

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Hansen kitchens are highly rectilinear. So why would you throw in a completely random shape and material?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, kitchenguy and marcolo. This has actually already been decided.

Here is a link that might be useful: square hoods

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS, marcolo I think many have used tapered hoods with rectilinear cabinets to great effect. Not that I've ever seen trapezoidal cabinets. (J/K I knew what you meant) Jessica Helgerson comes to mind. I agree though, that the square seems a bit more fresh and is better suited to what we are doing.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I think it'll be very cool!

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I'm getting anxious to see some progress...