Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annes_arbor

My backsplash is in--very happy!

annes_arbor
15 years ago

So happy that my backsplash is installed. I love it. Here are some pictures. The tiles are handmade and very uneven; this necessitated pretty wide grout lines, but I think it works. Also, the 4 tiles in the middle behind the range are "platinum" coated. They're really beautiful in a way the photo doesn't capture. (Thank you GW for introducing me to plugmold!!!)

Comments (46)

• chinchette
    15 years ago

I LOVE that! Its unique, and very aesthetic. What a great looking space.

• prettykitty1971
    15 years ago

wow! that is beautiful - is that platinum or what is the material? I agree with chinchette, aesthetic is the perfect description. I love the space.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

OMG! Those are gorgeous! What a beautiful kitchen. I also love the kitchen bling on the cabinet. Those handles are beauriful. Great choices. Don't you just love plug mold?

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

OMG I have tile lust. Serious, serious tile lust. Those are absolutely wonderful.

They look absolutely perfect in your gorgeous kitchen.

Source? Please? Pretty please?

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So glad y'all like the tiles. I think they are amazing. They are from Welbeck Tile in England. A major splurge (especially given the current exchange rate), but I fell in love, and what's a girl to do! LOL

I don't know what the glaze is exactly, but it is definitely platinum color and metallic looking. Brenda Bates, the owner of Welbeck, is wonderful. She will send you samples of tiles and create a design for free.

Mustbnuts: Glad you like the handles. They are from Allied Brass.

• minac
    15 years ago

The tiles look great. I'm always amazed how everyone on the forum comes out with these great backsplashes that perfectly fits their kitchen and everyone does something a little different. By the way - I understand tile love. Hopefully it will be an everlasting love :)

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Love that you made it so unique...they are so pretty!
    vic

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

STUNNING !!!
    English tile always seems to be beautiful. Good job. Enjoy.

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

Gorgeous and unique! Looks perfect with your gorgeous cabinets and soapstone! Enjoy!

• Bethpen
    15 years ago

SO very different! I love, love, love them. Great job, I'm sure you must have looked high and low for just the right thing.

Hurry up, I want to see it all put together! :)

Beth

• jessie21
    15 years ago

I love them too!!! Fantastic.

• dkass
    15 years ago

I love your ceiling!

• morton5
    15 years ago

I'm echoing others-- very pretty, modern and unique. What a fresh, welcoming space you have created.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I'm doubly impressed! Not only do you have a perfect and unique backsplash, you have it up before your kitchen's even finished!!!

Question about the custom tiles though... did you have those made for you, or were they designs that Brenda made for you. If you had them made, what did you ask for? ie are those supposed to be particular flowers/plants?

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for all the compliments.
    Raehelen: Interesting that you mention that the backsplash is up before the kitchen is finished. I know a lot of people on GW don't even decide on the backsplash until after everything else is done. I decided to pick out everything (appliances, paint colors, tiles, knobs/pulls, floor) before the remodel began. That worked well for me as I could see everything together, in advance.

The tiles are handmade, but the design on them is not custom. The designs are standard, and you can see them on the website (welbecktiles.com). I gave Brenda the dimensions and she came up with a design she thought would be pleasing. Hope that helps.

• gwent
    15 years ago

So different and unique- great cool colors. Its fun to see something unusual and slightly out of the box.
    kudos to you!

• rebeccainchicago
    15 years ago

annes_arbor, I remember reading your post last summer about Welbeck, and I've been thinking about them ever since, trying to work them into my plans. So it's nice to see your finished B/S. Lovely! Can you tell me if the solid off-white tiles are also Welbeck? Or did you find something more local that worked? I'm hoping for $$$ reasons that this is what you did!

Also, it's very interesting to see the metallic tiles in an actual installation. They are much better looking here than in the web site catalog. Congrats on a well-done Welbeck job!

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Oh Yes! The tile is stunning! And so are all the other details! Your use of color is magical, the countertops so rich and elegant and the wall on the Left, WOW that is so creative and fabulous! May I see it in a closer photo? How did you do that? I love it, like the sand and pebbles at the beach settled between the stones, and those colors! I LOVE your wall!

• rosie
    15 years ago

Oh my, that is very, very nice, Annes Arbor, and very special. I've been looking forward to seeing your kitchen, and it does not disappoint!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Oh wow, gorgeous and unique! I love the bit of sparkle with the platinum-foil tiles. Yes, the grout line is thicker but it looks really good and your grout colour is so similar to your tile colour that it's not too noticeable. How thick are your grout lines? Where did you get that beautiful hardware?

• redroze
    15 years ago

I realized that you gave the hardware source above. Ignore my question!

• carol9999
    15 years ago

very very beautiful and classy!!

• lyno
    15 years ago

Your tiles are beautiful and I love how their arrangement echoes the pattern of the ceiling. I really like the shape of the hood, too. I am looking forward to seeing your finished kitchen; it is beautiful right now. I've been lurking here for awhile and I am learning so much.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Pretty cool! A great way to make your classic kitchen distinctive.

• mom3suns
    15 years ago

Lovely!!!!!

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gosh everyone; thanks so much for all the lovely comments. I need the good cheer. I've had a fairly problematic remodel, and I can only hope that we've turned a corner and that it is relatively smooth sailing from here on in.

Angelina--yes, the plain white tiles are also Welbeck. I just didn't have the confidence that I could find a match for their white glaze. I'm sure Brenda would send you a piece of a white tile and you could try to see if you could find something less expensive.

Redroze--My grout lines are 1/4" and a bit less. I know people on GW strive for 1/16", so these are far off of that. My contractors and I talked a lot about the size of the grout line. I wanted as few cut tiles as possible, and they were concerned about the irregularity of the tiles. When we laid the tiles out at 1/4" and a little less, it looked good, so I just went with that.

Lyno--I never thought that the tile pattern echoes the ceiling, but you're right! Thanks for pointing that out. The hood will get some bead trim, so I hope that it looks even better in a few weeks :)

Bodica--the wall is an exposed original wall of the house. I posted a picture of it on another thread (about my soapstone install). I love it too--it was a major project to restore it! The way I understand the mortar between the stones is that the masons just put in regular mortar and then they smashed pea gravel into the mortar when it was wet. At least that is what my current stone mason did. He was also able to "age" the mortar and repair holes and cuts in some of the stones so that you cannot tell what is old and what is new/repaired. All the other workmen at my house were in awe of his skill.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Those are wonderful. I can't wait to see this kitchen completed.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

Wow, I adore your backsplash.

• gglks
    15 years ago

sooooooo amazing!!!! down to all the details. is your hood complete? i LOVE that it isn't totally classic.....the perfect amount of different, unique touches!!! that is the look i'm also trying to go with!!!!! i think i fell short when i see yours!!!!!! congrats!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I hate people who introduce me to new tile makers :oP I'm so addicted to tile...now I have to go find her on the internet you meanie!

Your kitchen is gorgeous...and that backsplash is to die for!!!

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Very pretty tiles and so unique!

I can't wait to see the rest of the kitchen -- any chance you want to give us a sneak preview of the rest?? I'm curious to see the rest of the layout (and I'm always a fool for white cabs and soapstone!).

Chris

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Georgeous, lovely, unique, interesting - love looking at the whole picture. I live in London and will peruse the catalogue and order some samples - thanks for tip!

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Again, many thanks for all the compliments. I'm glad that all of you like the Welbeck tile. I'm in love with so many tiles that they make--wish I had a room that would work with the "postcard" tiles.

gglks: The hood isn't complete (nor is any of my cabinetry!). It will get some beaded trim and, of course, it needs painting. I saw a picture on the web and gave it to the cabinet maker to duplicate. It isn't exactly like the picture, but I'm very pleased with it. In fact, maybe I like it better than the original.

kulagal: Keep us posted as to whether you end up purchasing and installing any of the tiles.

scootermom: The layout of my house is so crazy. The rooms that are being remodeled are at the back of the house (circa 1923). They are the kitchen (1980s), the 1980s addition to the house which included a breakfast nook and a mudroom (well mud hallway if there is such a thing). It's a house built on a cement slab, so all the utilities are in the space behind the kitchen. None of these rooms is big, but they seem bigger now because the stone wall was boxed in 18 inches more than its length.

Here's a before photo to explain the layout a bit more. The doorways at the right of the photo past the picture--the one closest to the viewer is an entrance to the dining room, but there's a little "antiroom" before you walk into the dining room that has two built in cabinets; the doorway next farthest from the viewer is a built in cabinet. The doorway at the back of the photo leads to the hallway and if you walked through there and went immediately right you would walk into the second entrance to the dining room (it's arched and was the inspiration to arch two of the doorways in this remodel). I couldn't change anything involving these doorways on the right because there are solid cement walls involved that must be 20" thick. Now I've really confused you!

Then there's the after picture so you can see how much the space opened up when we "freed" the stone wall. Oh, and you can see the new cork floor in the after picture. That just went in today. :) I hope to post better pictures (soon) when the cabinets are finished.

Before: view from breakfast nook into kitchen

After: same view

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Annes Arbor, I just went searching again for those English platinum tiles, and then when I saw the pics again I realized that you answered my question on the appliance forum about the Bertazzoni! I love your whole kitchen and I can't wait to see more progress pics. Have you posted new pics since these? I can't wait to see what's happening. It's gorgeous!

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

Your backsplash is fantastic. I would be thrilled if I were you, too! These are some of the first tiles that I have been absolutely smitten with. They are contemporary while still nodding to the classic. I immediately went to the website, and really love the sea stars they have, too. Thanks so much for sharing-- your kitchen is honestly an inspiration!

• lovetocook9
    15 years ago

Stunning!! I too would be VERY HAPPY!!! I've never seen anything like it. My next step is backsplashes and I haven't been out yet to shop. In my mind I was thinking classic, timeless and somehow incorporating flower and/or herbs - this morning I was looking at my cookie sheet behind my range (to keep from setting fire to my wall :) and I liked the reflection effect too - yours has all of that - Just Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your source and inspiring me. Heading to their website : )

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Ok, annes_arbor, one more question, before you take me for a doppelganger/stalker. I've told you I love your kitchen -- the backsplash, the Berta, the soapstone, the BS tiles, all of it. So is that cork tile on your floor? Possibly in the Barriga pattern from duro-design? Because that's what I want, and if it is durodesign cork, I'm thinking I just might forget about finishing my kitchen, and I'll just move into yours, is that ok?

Seriously though, how's that cork working out? Do you love it? It's gorgeous.

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You all are so sweet, and I appreciate all the compliments, especially today. I'm in a terrible funk because I just found out that a heating problem will necessitate removing my downstairs bedroom hardwood floor. Between that and the unending kitchen remodel, I'm about to tear my hair out.

Please keep me posted if any of you buy Welbeck Tiles. I have about 35 plain ones left over (I must be an idiot when it comes to math), so I am thinking of buying a few more and tiling the tiny laundry area room counter.

Evilbunnie (the world's best name!)--yes it's cork tile on the floor. I didn't go with durodesign, but I do love theirs too. It's Globus Cork--maple (www.corkfloor.com). Because of the terrible unevenness of my cement floors, I had to use "peel and stick" cork tiles (actually, they are pre-glued and then you put more adhesive down during installation). But here's the best part of Globus. They make these very interesting patterns--you design them and they come pre-made in strips so you don't have to put down all the little tiny pieces individually. I've taken a picture of the "breakfast nook" area of my kitchen where I put in a border. Besides loving the aethestics (even the heating and cooling guy who came to my house today told me how much he loved the floor), it's super comfortable to stand on and it is great insulation from the cold cement slab. I don't know how it will wear over time, but so far so good.

• debsan
    15 years ago

Is the plugmold shown in the pictures? I'm trying to figure out where it is.

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Debsan,

I didn't take a picture of the plugmold. It's angled where the backsplash and cabinets meet. If you would like a picture, let me know and I'll post one.

Anne

• mc_modern
    15 years ago

can you tell me how you are liking the performance of your bertazzoni? it's up against a kitchenaid range with similar burner output..my husband likes to cook with a wok & appreciates the wok ring that comes with either range ( the thickness of the grate on the kitchenaid is a bit wimpy). the bad news: he does not want to spend the $800 price difference..the bertazzoni looks better with the rest of the kitchen but i can't base my opinion on aesthetics alone! we are concerned about the temperature accuracy with the dial, plus the kitchen aid seems to have a few more bells & whistles...timers, etc...thoughts? comments?

• annes_arbor
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mc modern,

I bought the Bertazzoni because I just couldn't see a "pro range" look in my kitchen and I couldn't afford the Lacanche (my first love). I know aethestics can't be everything, but the Berta is a very pretty range. Besides that, it's a beautifully made range--no rough edges or ill fitting corners.

I've been pleased with the Berta, but I confess that I haven't cooked on it that much. (I really don't have a working kitchen yet--most of my things are still in boxes) I have only used the oven once. I made a free-form pear tart. It cooked more evenly than any oven I have ever used. I did use an oven thermometer to make sure that I had the dial in the right place. I don't think I will need to use the thermometer once I get used to the dial. I've only used the broiler once, and that was great. I have yet to use the convection oven.

I don't want or need bells or whistles. If you do, this isn't the stove for you. I like the idea that there are very few things to go wrong.

Hope this helps. There are some berta threads on the appliances forum that are worth reading. I recall that Soonermagic was someone who had bought and loved her Berta when I was in the process of deciding.

• mc_modern
    15 years ago

thanks for the advice!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Anne,

(It is Anne, isn't it?) I am so sorry to hear about the bedroom floor. All I know is that it helps to just roll with the punches when the contractor reveals new defects in my quirky old house. The unfortunate part is that heating work is neither visible or sexy, but it makes a huge difference in your quality of life. May you find hidden reserves of patience, and may you get a chance for a good night's sleep and feel refreshed enough after to face these challenges.

And I love the cork floor, and your pic of the border. I didn't know about Globus, but I will now check them out. I just think it's uncanny how your kitchen mirrors my wish list.

Be well.

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Anne,

(It is Anne, isn't it?) I am so sorry to hear about the bedroom floor. All I know is that it helps to just roll with the punches when the contractor reveals new defects in my quirky old house. The unfortunate part is that heating work is neither visible or sexy, but it makes a huge difference in your quality of life. May you find hidden reserves of patience, and may you get a chance for a good night's sleep and feel refreshed enough after to face these challenges.

And I love the cork floor, and your pic of the border. I didn't know about Globus, but I will now check them out. I just think it's uncanny how your kitchen mirrors my wish list.

Be well.

• Nicole Valentine
    15 years ago

STUNNING tiles.. excellent choice!! I think they are beautiful in your space.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor