Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
different_drummer

What does it look like above your sink?

different_drummer
13 years ago

We're sort of coming closer to an actual cabinet layout that we're pleased with. Husby thinks we're a lot closer than we actually are, as I'm sure so many here understand.

But one trouble I'm having is with the sink area. We'll have uppers on either side of 40"ish window, but I don't know how to finish off the area - valance, shelf, nothing? Please show me pictures of what you've done above the sink! Thanks!

Comments (17)

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Who else remembers the whole "valances are dated" thread? Anyone have a link to it? There were lots of great examples of sink areas with valances, without valances, with shelves, etc.

Well, in case it is lost forever, here is a pic of my sink area with a valance. :) I have 3 little puck lights behind the valance that light the sink area (not on in this picture).

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Here's another one...my previous kitchen. It didn't really have what I would call a valance, but more of a "bridge" that housed 2 little lights.

• User
    13 years ago

Here's my stained glass valance over the sink (pre-white renovation)and again in the new kitchen:

• Laurie
    13 years ago

I have a small cabinet with glass doors. My window is quite small and I wanted something which would take the focus off of it. Window treatments didn't seem to do the trick and I'm not keen on valances.

It just went up a couple of days ago, I haven't taken a picture yet. The only problem I have right now is that the two cabinets on the sides didn't line up exactly on the window sides - one comes right up to the window edge, the other about 2 inches away (contractor/designer errors - nobody confessing) and I'm not sure how to address this small empty space.

• different_drummer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so far, everyone. I'll search for that other thread shortly.

cali_wendy - I'm not always a fan of valances, and maybe I haven't noticed that many, but I really like how yours steps back from the cabinets. Somehow it gives it a more- finished? tailored? look.

sivyaleah - I hope you'll post a picture when you can. I can't yet visualize it. Is the glass-doored cabinet above the sink window, or next to?

dian57 - especially love the chalkboard on the island. Genius!

Okay, found a couple of threads; one is below

Here is a link that might be useful: One valance thread

• cooksnsews
    13 years ago

It didn't occur to me until the kitchen was finished and the plants were placed on the ledge, that I didn't need any further window covering. They've grown bigger, wilder, and more straggly since then, almost totally obliterating any view.

• eustacem
    13 years ago

cali wendy--your sink window is in my inspiration file for what I would like over MY sink. I just love it, and your kitchen. Thanks for sharing it again.

• kerrys
    13 years ago

Great ideas for above the sink--one of my problem areas as well.
    Dian57, I'm interested in learning more about your backsplash. It looks like a row of subway-type tile then beadboard. Did you use any special paint, etc. to protect the beadboard? What was your rationale for the row of tile? I am probably going to use beadboard with tile over the sink and behind the stove.

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

I recently put a wroght iron piece from Pier 1 above my sink area. Not the best picture of it; it has copper and red flowers.

{{!gwi}}

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Anyone see an example of a very long wood treatment of some sort to bridge an entire wall of topless kitchen cupboards including sink? It would connect two walls of upper cabs.

• marthasdream
    13 years ago

I am going to either put open shelves across the window with antique bottles and other glass pieces (an extension of the shelves across the entire back wall - 20 feet) OR a gorgeous antique Morrocan iron work screen over the window. It's strange I know, but my kitchen is shaping up to be a mixture of modern and antique - sort of form and function peppered with a little steam punk.

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

Cali Wendy I love your kitchen. What did you use for countertops? Can you direct me to a thread so I can see more. I didn't have any luck finding it with the search feature, but then again, I can't find anything with the search feature!

• cali_wendy
    13 years ago

Thank you so much, island. My counters are honed and textured Colonial Gold. Here is a link to a thread where I answered some other questions about my kitchen and included links to a couple of photo albums.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with links to my albums

• marcy96
    13 years ago

Here's mine - it's on the other "valance" threads also.
    {{!gwi}}

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I am boring. I have nothing, just a crystal light that hangs down in front of a woven wooden roman shade.

{{!gwi}}

• fran1523
    13 years ago

I have small shelves with decorative tins on them on both sides of the sink.

• User
    13 years ago

OT to fran1523: I have that same cracker tin. Ours is rather battered, though, and currently holds the kids' crayons. In my grandmother's kitchen, it always contained, yes, Premium saltines.