Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arroyo9

Amish cabinet makers near Chicago

arroyo9
10 years ago

I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen and was wondering if anyone has recommendations for cabinet makers near Chicago that are affordable.

Comments (22)

• LoPay
    10 years ago

I live in southern Wisconsin. I ordered my Amish cabinets through an interior designer, who did the measurements and design, and was the go between. Don't know if any of them would travel to northern Illinois. The cabinet maker is in the Dells area, and the cost included delivery. You can email me from my profile page if you want my designer's name.

My cabinets were delivered yesterday, they are a work of art.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    10 years ago

Badgergal (obviously from Wisconsin) has beautiful Amish cabinets. If you are venturing north, I'll give you a link with the info.

If seems like there must be some good cabinet makers in northern Indiana as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Badgergals's kitchen info

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

There are Amish cabinet makers in Arthur, Illinois, maybe a little less than 200 miles away. Straight south on I-57, once you get south of the suburbs its a nice easy ride. I don't know anything else about them personally, maybe someone else here has used them. Arthur has a website where you probably could get more info on individual companies.

• friedajune
    10 years ago

You don't need to go Amish in Chicago. Email me (via my Gardenweb My Page link above) for a rec for a local Chicago cabinet company (not Amish) I used for my kitchen, and recommended them to two of my friends. All 3 of us are very happy.

(I am not a fan of the Amish, and would never ever use them to build my kitchen, no matter how cheap they are. Don't flame me for that; I am entitled to my opinion.)

This post was edited by akchicago on Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 19:48

• friedajune
    10 years ago

ARIES61 - You sent me an email but there was no way for me to respond to you because you have not activated your email on your Gardenweb account. Therefore, your email to me was accompanied with the message from Gardenweb: "The member responding to your post has chosen not to reveal his or her email address. Therefore, you cannot reply to this message via email."

I am re-printing Buehl's instructions to allow someone to email you back:

1. Be sure you have a valid/current email address in your profile

2. Again in your profile, be sure you've checked the box for "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site." (at the bottom of the profile page)

3. Don't forget to "Save Your Member Profile" when you make these changes! (button at bottom of profile page)

• KBSpider
    10 years ago

akchicago, I'm in the Chicago burbs as well, and would love your rec if you wouldn't mind. My memory is telling me you mentioned them before, but of course 1) my memory usually stinks, and 2) I can't find the thread that I thought I bookmarked which had that info...

I have my email box checked (well, I think I do - going to check now...) if you don't feel comfortable posting it.

Thanks!

• friedajune
    10 years ago

KBSpider, I sent you an email.

• KBSpider
    10 years ago

Got it - thanks for all the great info!

• arroyo9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the great info. It's so discouraging to get all this insane quotes for simple cabinets.

My husband and I are planning to take a day trip to Arthur Illinois to get some quotes.I hope that we are able to find something that is within our budget.

• LoPay
    10 years ago

Don't confuse simple with cheap. The modern slab MCM cabinets that I just got are sublime. They are frameless solid slab rift sawn oak and walnut. The way they are put together is not simple. The cost wasn't crazy cheap or expensive either.

• quiltgirl
    10 years ago

Our cabinets are being built by a Mennonite man in Broadhead Wisconsin according to our specs. He put us in touch with other customer to view his work. We patterned our cabinets after Christopher Peacock kitchen as far as style, full one inch drawers and door fronts, inset, etc. He will do whatever you want and his work is beautiful.

We also had cabinets made by a Amish man in Arthur area several years ago. It was a problem when details were not quite right due to distance. Glad to have someone closer to home.

• Ellen1234
    10 years ago

Quiltgirl - could you send me that information? I am looking to have some furniture made. Thanks!

[I had my cabinets made by a Mennonite man about 3 hours away which I think was too far to ensure details were addressed, particularly stain colors which unfortunately did not meet my expectation, although the cabinets are beautiful.

• quiltgirl
    10 years ago

Ellen 1234, sent you the info. Hope it works for you.

• aries61
    10 years ago

Quiltgirl -could you send be there information too? Sounds like he's making a beautiful kitchen for you..

• arroyo9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Quiltgirl, Can I also have their info. please.

• Ellen1234
    10 years ago

Thank you!

• lurkerlisa
    10 years ago

Akchicago,

I would love that info on the cabinet maker! My page is goofy and is recording my user name as my email and I can't seem to change it not matter how many times I try (9 so far). Anyway, please send info when you can at @ queenie123@aol.com
    thanks!

• lurkerlisa
    10 years ago

Akchicago,

I would love that info on the cabinet maker! My page is goofy and is recording my user name as my email and I can't seem to change it not matter how many times I try (9 so far). Anyway, please send info when you can at @ queenie123@aol.com
    thanks!

• mdln
    10 years ago

Has anyone used Amish County Kitchens on Northwest Hwy in Chicago?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago - Amish Cabinet Maker

• Cklomp
    10 years ago

I would love the info for the Amish cabinet maker from Wisconsin as well. Thank you! : )

• aries61
    10 years ago

quiltgirl, did you ever get your cabinets?