Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

Backsplash color opinions. (Help get me out of ABB!) Pix heavy.

angie_diy
11 years ago

Dear friends: I have been stuck on the BS for far too long. Can you give me some feedback?

I had decided I wanted a vintage vibe. To that end, I decided to do lowly 4.25x4.25s in a brick pattern with a pencil liner, like this:

My goal was to get tiles that looked vintage by virtue of being hand-glazed (with color variegation).

As for the overall color scheme, I had long been planning a 1930s scheme of pale yellow, sage green, and copper:

However, as many of you know, I "missed" on the yellow of the walls and wound up with a much more saturated yellow:

You can also see the other kitchen colors in that picture, viz., the cream and salmon travertine floor tiles, the oxidized copper DW (and the fridge is the same), and the grey/black soapstone counters.

Originally, I was going to use a gray-green tile. Here are some samples that I got:

and

However, I was not sure how this would look in a large scale. I was inspired by oldbat2be's recent photocopy efforts, so I decided to do something similar. I purchased some drywall and painted it a light gray green most similar to one of my potential tile choices. I was not really thrilled with the result:

So now, I am rethinking everything. I am rethinking the gray green. I am even rethinking ceramic tile. The recent 1826 rowhouse thread had a marble BS in about 4x4s laid in a brick pattern, and I thought it looked fantastic:

{{gwi:1390663}}.

I bought a 12x12 marble tile from my local budget home center. I could easily cut these into 4x4 tiles for the wall. How does this look?

So, any and all suggestions welcome. I should say upfront that I don't want glass tiles, I don't want tumbled travertine, and I don't want a small-tile mosaic. I am wondering about what color or color family would go well here. (Cool? Warm? Gray? Creamy? Parchment?) I am also wondering about how you think the marble idea would go. Specific tile suggestions also welcome!

Thanks so much! A_D

Comments (147)

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I looked again at the stained glass window, and I'll make a specific recommendation. You can use basic white or off white tile and fabricate pieces to echo the stained glass window and use a pale grout to make the pattern stand out. I did this in the kid's bath and it turned out the best of all the tile work in our home.

It is a very nice budget option.

• leela4
    11 years ago

Just my two cents but I like detroit_burb's 2 ideas above better than anything. Maybe s/he or oldbat2be could phtotoshop that idea onto the sink run with the window to see how it would look there as well.

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

Here's a rough mockup of a short soapstone backsplash plus 4 x 4's that echo the lighter cream tone in your floors.

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

A few more images (this is too fun!):

I like the ideas that others had of keeping the backsplash warm (unless it is an extension of the soapstone). Some said cream tiles. Here's a pretty image of cream subways with some variety in color:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-toronto-phvw-vp~74084)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107)

And here is a quick photoshop just showing the color in your kitchen (when I tried scaling up the size, it got too grainy - imagine them bigger, lol). I like how the backsplash color mirrors your gorgeous floor:

Or - you could make your lovely sunshine color the backsplash, and use the sage green as the paint color, like in this photo (I'm worried that the green might fight with the blue and red tones of your stained glass window though...):

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/mack-kitchen-contemporary-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~126909)

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Minneapolis Architect Kell Architects

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

same thing with biscuit/white.

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

comparing various backsplash color options -

top left - golden yellow to match the wall
    top right - soapstone
    bottom left - off white
    bottom right - white

(sorry that the off white and white look so similar; should have made more of a difference between them)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    11 years ago

I myself really like the tone on tone concept, and think putting it on the diagonal would be a great reference to the floor. I wonder if the bisque sample is just a tad to light in color, though? Maybe two shades that are slightly darker would offer less contrast with the cabinets and the floor. I know people on this forum are all about white/light/bright but your kitchen is deep warm rich, and to me the lighter color is very jarring.

Of course, I'm the one who loves my (faux)dark soapstone counters, rich oak cabs with copper backsplash so what do I know! Well, I know I do love the look of the tone on tone and think the diagonal would be killer if the color is right.

Good luck!

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

Okay, playing with mockups is seriously addicting!!

One more - based on one of the geometric pattern mockups that Angie posted.

I cheated and combined 2 looks in one image. The little accent tiles are the same color as the yellow in the stained glass window. On the left, the larger tiles are white(ish) and the larger tiles on the right are a soft yellow.

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

In keeping with the tonal suggestion - here's a new right side option - sunny yellow larger tiles, with little copper accent tiles...hmmmm...

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I'd been favoring a single color, but I like a version of bellajourney's mockup above...As long as the main color is either a match or an obvious variation of the lightest floor tile and the accent tiles pick up something else in the floor. I'm not real good at mixing patterns myself, but I think this looks good *and* intentional.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I cannot believe all these fantastic new ideas, cool mockups, and generous help! Sadly, I have to work through lunch today and cannot respond right away.

BTW, the inner diamond in the stained glass is Hunter Green or Forest Green; I don't know why it looks bluish in some of those shots!

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

left - larger tiles match wall, accent tiles in copper
    right - larger tiles match lighter color in floor, accent tiles match darker color in floor (per Linelle's suggestion)

Yet another option (not shown) could be to have just 1 row of accent tiles instead of two...

• enduring
    11 years ago

YES, Bellajourny, I am liking this last post, if not perfect, almost. I also love the one that was posted early on by May_flowers, with the board and batten look on top of a 4" backsplash.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Wow Bellajourney, you're good! I like both of them, maybe the one on the left a little better, because the color is warmer, not necessarily because it matches the wall, although that's convenient. :) In your photo, it looks like they were meant to go together, like a line that features floor tile *and* a matching backsplash. Yet, it doesn't look matchy-matchy. AND, it echoes the shapes in the stained glass.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Angie- you can do it! We need you in our alumni club! I have been following the thread but others have so many wonderful suggestions. (ABB= all but backsplash club)

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

bellajourney - love what you are doing, great ideas, keep 'em coming! (Obviously a professional has entered the arena and I will now slink away, most happily!)

• lisa_wi
    11 years ago

The only mockup that really spoke to me was the copper paint oldbat2be did on Nov 2. Given the other diamonds you have, I'd love to see a mockup of copper ceiling tiles. These are by Armstrong. I believe the scale is roughly 2 ft square.

Here is a link that might be useful: Armstrong

• steph2000
    11 years ago

OMG, that first backsplash inspiration pic posted by bellajourney just seems to lead the way here... Egads, is that perfection! The 14:49 photoshops are also great - and I also prefer the one on the left there. I'm just not so crazy about the coppery squares interspersed in them.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

I think Bella has it !!!
    The tiles on a diagonal with one row of accent tiles would look great(and vintage) with 4" SS. I think the small SS BS looks nice after all your kitchen is not modern it's vintage. Does that mean you can keep the walls some shade of yellow(Love yellow)BM barley perhaps ?Now where have I seen that color recently ? ha ha
    I also like the 3" SS with the battan.
    Bella you are good with those mock ups !!!

• lalithar
    11 years ago

I think Bella's first one works the best. You could also try with field tile as squares and accent tiles as diagonals.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

There's something about adding too much diamond shaped. Maybe try Bella's rotated 90 degrees - the darker accent tiles as the diamonds and the field tile was horizontal? I think it would be a little more balanced...

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

So glad everyone is enjoying the ideas! I had way too much fun yesterday!

I played a bit more this morning - and added a rather rough board and batten mockup plus the copper tin tiles idea:

And here are some additional photos for layout ideas (didn't find any horizontal field tile ones yet - will try to look for some later today). Some have 2 rows, some have 1.

A)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/gorgeous-kitchen-remodel-contemporary-kitchen-dc-metro-phvw-vp~87577)

[Contemporary Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2103) by Dc Metro General Contractor NVS Remodeling & Design

B)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/monteverde-residence-traditional-kitchen-los-angeles-phvw-vp~57294)

[Eclectic Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by Los Angeles Design-build HartmanBaldwin Design/Build

C)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/sue-shinneman-ckd-traditional-kitchen-kansas-city-phvw-vp~369373)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Kansas City Kitchen And Bath Kitchen Studio: Kansas City/ Sue Shinneman, CKD

D)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/crisp-architects-traditional-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~193137)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by New York Architect Crisp Architects

E)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/classic-elegance-traditional-kitchen-houston-phvw-vp~84278)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Houston General Contractor Hann Builders

F)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/laundry-room-traditional-laundry-room-austin-phvw-vp~81321)

[Traditional Laundry Room design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-laundry-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_753~s_2107) by Other Metro Kitchen And Bath Palmer Todd

G)

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/teri-turan-traditional-kitchen-atlanta-phvw-vp~216318)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Atlanta Kitchen And Bath Teri Turan

• athomeinvagw
    11 years ago

Here is the backsplash I linked to in the vintagey thread, similar in shape to many posted above.

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

oldbat2be - No slinking away allowed! You are terrific! :)

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I am finally have a chance to catch up. I am so excited -- so many good ideas. I continue to be amazed at your generosity.

Bellajourney: (responding to your Thursday posts) Thanks for finding those pictures. Those are actually VERY helpful. I am really taken by the yellow/blue large/small tile example. I am thinking I will try to work up an example of something like that, but perhaps with the accent set on the diagonal. Or the single diagonal accent row as you and AthomeinVa have suggested. (I noticed as a result of this post that I referenced that SAME Busbygilbert example in my earlier thread!) I also really liked the subtle checkerboard pattern that you found. It made me more confident in the tone-on-tone pattern that I did later (even though I doubt that is what I will wind up with).

Ellendi: Yes, my head is spinning. You know, I was really surprised at all the "love" the short splash has gotten. I realize I probably can't/don't want to do that, because I hadn't planned for it. I intended to cover that wall with tile, so it does not have the same drywall texture as the rest of the wall. Also, I positioned the electric outlets to be proud of the wall by the correct amount for tile. It would be a pain to redo them to make them flush with the wall. I think I will do tile for sure.

KevinMP: thanks for weighing in. I do love your marble, but I guess I have to agree it won't fit in here. Thanks for the penny-round suggestion. Yeah, I have considered penny rounds here and in previous threads, and I understand the logic (I think), but I don't think I want to introduce another shape to the mix at this point.

Veevs, I like bellajourney's photos, too! I think I have to agree with you on the paint. :-( As I say, I am completely open to repainting to match the tiles (rather than try to find tiles to match the paint).

a2gemini, thanks for the suggestion. I really want to avoid glass, but I like the color scheme that you suggest.

Detroit! How are you? Thanks for the matte/gloss idea. I actually had not thought of that (even though my floor has alternating glossy/matte finishes). Something like Daltile is certainly a very affordable option -- much cheaper than the specialty tile makers I have been looking at. Will bear this one in mind.

Your mockups of the end wall are very fetching! It never occurred to me to vary the tile size in the way you suggest. The biscuit/white example (11/9 @ 12:42) is particularly nice.

Leela: thanks for the $0.02! Detroit is good, no? :-)

BellaJourney: Wow, you ARE good at this! I love the color in your 11/9@10:54 post. Frankly, I am not nuts about the cream subway in the next post, but that may be an optical illusion due to the scale.
    Thanks for the suggestion of yellowish tile and sagey wall. Honestly, that hadn't occurred to me, but is a good idea.

Boy, you have put a lot of effort into this, and are really coming up with some pretty examples!

Mabel: Thanks for validating the tone-on-tone. I agree that the current tiles are not the best. They are very cheap for mockups, but I would be probably buying better ones for the real thing, so I can find a slightly deeper shade for whatever my eventual tile is.

Bellajourney again: Okay, I agree with the others that these last ideas are among the best we have seen. They are simple, pretty, and tie into the floor and stained glass window. You have done a great job with colors, too. I really cannot thank you enough!

Hmmm, I feel a sample board in my future!! I guess I will need to get out the wet saw, too.

Linelle: thanks for the color suggestion and the thoughts/vote.

Enduring, thanks for your continuing input. You know, I have just come to realize the batten idea is probably off the table for the same reason the short-splash-only idea is: the walls are not prepped for it.

OB2B: Bellajourney is very good, but your images have been fantastic, too!

Lisa_wi: thanks for the pressed-tin suggestion. Oddly, I responded to someone else's query about them recently!

Steph and Eatrealfood: Thanks for the votes and interest. Yeah, Bella is good!

Plans to try:
    Here is what I have gleaned from these, and what I plan to try next:

-I still want to try my tone-on-tone checkboard, but set on the diagonal.
    -I want to play with some of Bellajourney's ideas, with tiles on the diagonal and diamond inserts/accents. I am going to try to find something matching the floor for the inserts, as suggested, but I will also try Rain Forest Green marble inserts. Those have tones to match the stained glass, too, as well as cream/brown to match the floor. I think.
    -I want to try a variation on one of the first pictures Bellajourney posted, (11/8 @ 13:05). I am planning to try an accent made of smaller tiles like that, but set on the diagonal.

Thanks again, everyone for all your help and encouragement. We can do this!! Now off to buy more sample tile and set up the wet saw. (Uggh, I also have to paint some exterior stuff today -- yuk.)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Angie- you probably saw our BS - but if not - this is the area behind the cooktop - the inset pieces are copper colored but are ceramic - very basic. I know the BS color is not what you are looking for - but thought you might like the accent pieces.

We are going to get you out of the ABB!

• detroit_burb
    11 years ago

Hi Angie, I'm doing great. Someone above referred to me as he/she...
    I've been nursing a baby for the past few months and I am very very much a She, if you know what I mean.

Bella's idea with the accents on the diag would be interesting as the accent would relate to the diag floors and the diag in the stained glass.

You have really generated a following here! It's time to stop killing us and show us the final final!

• deedles
    11 years ago

I've just read through the whole thread and I have no idea what to do, BUT I can't wait to see what it is!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Angie, I took your tone-on-tone pictures and set them on the diagonal. As you said, different lighting makes them look different, here's the first:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And the second:

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

And with an accent row... I like the idea but while I think the colors go well with the stained glass, I think they compete with the floor.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I still think there are too many squares of the same size with different colors, both of which compete with each other rather than complement each other. Have you thought about using clear (or whatever neutral color is in your stained glass window) wavy glass in the oblong horizontal strips with the mosaic backing?

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I agree with Kevin. While I like the tone-on-tone concept, not those colors. They just don't relate to anything else, at least not in oldbat's rendition (which is awesomely done BTW), maybe in real life they do. The color difference grabs my attention since your existing colors are very warm and the bisque looks grayish.

• eam44
    11 years ago

Angie, I've been ignoring the elephant in the room. Is it possible you have too?

The dominant element in the room is the floor, so much so that any additional element even if it's white, is going to look fussy. You've been playing with layout options - it doesn't matter if you use jack-on-jack or brick, you are one of the very few who like squares, just like your floor tile. You are looking for color variation - like you have in your travertine.

I think you have to use travertine for your bs. In essence, your bs choices were set in mortar the day you laid your floor tile. Here are some mockups using red and white travertine.

• eam44
    11 years ago

Diamonds

• deedles
    11 years ago

As long as we're playing with pictures, I'd like to see the 4" backsplash out of the counter material with some different paint colors on the walls. Just for fun....

The floor and window are the stars of your kitchen. The different tile patterns of squares or diamonds seem to add visual complexity to the whole. I did like Detroit burbs rendition of the rectangles... that tied in to the field glass of your window and seemed more... flowing?...graceful?...cohesive?

(I can talk smart like I know something now that Bella's mockup skilz fixed my back splash issues, haha.)

• steph2000
    11 years ago

I'd love to see someone photoshop the tiles shown in
    1 - BellaJ's first pic posted on 13:05 on Thursday and 2 - the picture by BellaJ on 23:21. I really think those are closer to the direction to go here.

I also agree with the squares competing. I'd stay away from square shapes at all, except maybe for a subtle tone on tone accent at most as shown in some of these pics. I think the diamond shape works and the squares seem to create a jarring clash. The other option is move away from both and either do something like a tiled beadboard or paint or something totally different?

To my eye, it seems like some of the colorways are way off here. I know there is an interest in marble tiles, but I just don't see it. Even if they work with the soapstone, they don't relate to the rest of the kitchen well at all, IMHO. The tiles need to relate to the floor, first and foremost, I think. Sorry, but I just do not think the gray/cool whites work. Going towards cream/yellow/gold/copper tones pulls it together with that floor. Or if you don't like that, you COULD add a 3rd complementary color from the stained glass (like green)over the stove, which is lovely, by the way.

Tue inspiration pics and photoshopping here is great. I'm really impressed with the way people are pulling together to help visualize the options.

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

Per deedles's request - "I'd like to see the 4" backsplash out of the counter material with some different paint colors on the walls. Just for fun...." (with the inner diamond in more of a hunter green color, per Angie).

Here it is with a muted green paint color.

Angie - is the outer diamond color correct? Is it pinkish?

(If I have time later, I'll try to mockup Steph2000's requests - unless someone else can get to it first.)

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, boy!! So much more input! You guys and gals are the best! There was even significant crossposting on my last update.

Lalitha: I am not sure which you mean by "Bella's first." Do you mean pictures of other kitchens or mockups of mine? The first mockups that she posted don't match your description. I do think the ones that DO match your description ARE indeed, very nice, perhaps best of the bunch.

bmore: Thanks, I will try that. However, my sampleboards have nearly convinced me that diagonal field tiles flow better with the floor.

Bella: I am so grateful for your efforts. I am really glad you find this fun! I think I am going to use tile of one sort or another. How did you find so many totally relevant photos?!!? You even found diagonal, multi-toned greige 4x4 tiles, with and without inserts. You are so good and generous! Very helpful.

Athome: Thanks for reminding us of those nice diamond/square examples.

a2gemin: Yes, I did see them before, but your picture made me go back and revisit your "abt2" thread, where we can see the whole BS. It is very lovely, and is a particularly nice example of one with the lower strip of square-set 4x4s.

Detroit: LOL! Glad to hear that you and baby are well. I would LOVE to shortly show you the final final! Doing my best -- we'll get there!

OB2B: Thank you so much for the photoshopping them onto the diagonal! My effort was not good. As you will see below, I made up a sample board -- but I think your virtual example was maybe even better than the real thing! And thanks for doing both colors; I think it is closer to the second one.

Kevin: Thanks for the thought. I certainly agree that I don't have the color yet! The wavy glass is an interesting idea. I must admit that, all in all, glass doesn't appeal to me in this kitchen, though.

EAM: I have been coming to that thought (of using travertine). I was initially opposed to using travertine, I think for two reasons. One was the fact that many people have used travertine BS and I wanted to be different, I think. The other was that travertine does not seem right as a BS in a 1920s house to me.

In response to the factors that you cite, however, here is what I have been thinking about lately: using ceramic tiles for the field, and using 2x2 travertine (just as you did) for accent tiles. And, frankly, you are really tempting me to just steal one of your ideas and go with travertine for the whole thing.

You photoshop efforts are really lovely. The idea of using travertine pencil liner --just brilliant. I think the 2x2 checkerboard is really pretty, too. Very similar to the first photo the Bellaj posted (the blue/yellow one). And diamonds for the floor. Very nice.

Deedles. Indeed, the majesty of simplicity. I found Detroit's rectangles soothing and pleasing. I think I need a scorecard!!!

Steph: I agree that those first pictures of Bella's (13:05 and 23:21) were really in the right direction. I also agree (as I'll show below) that the diamond sampleboard flows best IMHO with the floor. Also, I think almost everyone, including me, agrees with you that the marble colors just didn't work. And you are right again -- it is really gratifying to get all this help with ideas AND visualization.

BellaJ: The colors in the stained glass are closest to those in the picture I posted 11/5 @ 14:05. I would describe the colors as garnet and emerald. It sort of depends on whether it is lit from behind or from the kitchen side, unfortunately. But no, not really pinkish.

Okay, finally, here is my latest sampleboard attempt. This is a tone-on-tone checkerboard on the diagonal. (This was somewhat mooted by OB2Bs photoshopping effort.) I am showing it under two lighting conditions. I think that the colors on the left are closes for the floor and paint, but the picture on the right is closer for the BS tiles themselves. Go figure!

What I take away from this is that the diagonals really work better with the floor, especially as viewed in person. They geometrically flow, rather than clash. I consulted my neighbor, and she also stated this, unbidden by me.

So, I plan to try making some 2x2 travertine accents, and play around with some accented and small checkerboard patterns. BTW, in case I hadn't mentioned this, I am not particularly tied to THOSE PARTICULAR bisque tiles. They are a very inexpensive playground! If we can find a promising pattern, I will find some nicer biscuit-ish, warm tiles.

Thanks so much, everyone. This is the best "help me with my BS" response ever!!!!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Angie - this is the first one I really like in both pictures. Tile is a kj patterson ($$$$$ but I'm sure we could find alternatives). I like the color and small checkerboard, think it blends in but adds nice texture.

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

Angie - What is the color of your walls?

Here are two more mockups:

I agree with you that the backsplash needs to be warmer than the bisque tiles shown in the left pic - the center and right are tweaked to be warmer. (Not sure I love the tile size, it seems a bit too similar to the floor. Maybe something a bit smaller?)

And I did some playing around with accent tile placement and color (left was the original, center and right are new):

• bellajourney
    11 years ago

Oh - I forgot to answer your question. I found all of those images on Houzz.com

Here's one more that I stumbled on last night (when looking for ideas for my kitchen) - I thought the accent row was different and pretty:

[

[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/west-hills-kitchen-traditional-kitchen-portland-phvw-vp~152817)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Portland Interior Designer Jenny Baines, Jennifer Baines Interiors

• veevs
    11 years ago

i agree with bella on the size- i think smaller would look better. also not sure if im remembering correctly but i thought i read earlier that angie said she wanted to try the accent pieces diagonally? so would love to see some mockups like that... just throwin that out there for all you photoshoppers :)

• eam44
    11 years ago

Angie - one thing I noticed when looking for images of 1920's and '30's kitchens, is that when the floor is the star of the show, the bs fades into the cabinetry.

To follow that paradigm, you might want to go with a brown porcelain tile or your red travertine, and choose a light brown for the wall. Accents can be yellow, white and green.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    11 years ago

What a great thread this is, and so much work on everyone's part!

Mine is a kind of drive-by comment, but maybe some value in fresh eyes...

The floor is fabulous. The current paint color needs to go--it fights with the floor. Likewise, the cool tones of marble just don't work. Seems to me that there is just a bit of warm greige undertone in the floor color, and the suggestions that also have some similar undertone look best to me.

The tone on tone tile also doesn't quite work (although it is a great idea that I might steal), the color is just a little wrong -- although with a different wall color it might be ok -- but they also feel like too much checkerboard.

I like best the tiles that echo the colors of the floor or the cabinets, and with that color then it doesn't seem like too much pattern. There are several options shown that work. I have also liked the 4" splash that matches the counter. I don't know from trendy or popular -- these just pleased my eye the most.

I can't wait to see what you finally choose!

• eam44
    11 years ago

OK, here's the thing. I know you aren't into mosaic tiles, you want 4" x 4" squares. They're budget friendly. I know. And I try not to recommend a tile that doesn't really fit someone's "wants," but after looking at more vintage images and trying to find a tile that might blend well with your materials, I found these hexagonal mosaics, and I think they could be really pretty.

Even if they aren't specifically consistent with your vintage dates, they accomplish two things that are consistent with your aims: they blend in the color of the cabinets, and they allow the floor to stand proud without repeating the square/diamond motif beyond all reason.

Just take a look. If it's the wrong direction, no worries. But with these tiles you could keep your paint color...

Hex #1: Rojo Alicante marble $17/sf

Here is a link that might be useful: Rojo

• eam44
    11 years ago

Dark Travertine Hexagonal Mosaic $11.90/sf

Here is a link that might be useful: Travertine

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am back, having gone into "radio silence" for a while to digest this, play with sample boards, and repair some other parts of my house.

This thread is almost at 150 entries!! That is represents some extreme generosity of the GW community on my behalf! I am really humbled and honored. However, as a practical matter, the thread is out of room and I still haven't decided! I am going to start a new thread, and link to it in the next post of this thread. I will use the rest of this thread to get caught back up, to recapitulate the most promising ideas and show you what I have been up to!

Catching up:

OB2B (11/12@7:52). Oh, those are pretty. I wonder just how $pendy they are. Your photoshop job is so nice. Do you think it looks too busy, or is it small enough a pattern to become just a texture?

BellaJ: the walls are SW 6676 Butterfield. If anyone is interested, here is how I arrived at that color.
    Interesting observation on the tile size. Hmmm, Complete Tile does offer all of their tile in 3x3...
    I continue to like your "diamonds with decos" concept, as you will see below. And thanks for the Houzz info and images. I also like that decorative band.

Veevs, thanks for the vote.

EAM: Re: kitchens from the 20's having plain walls/wild floors: Yes, you are correct. I had been made aware of that during a thread trying to choose my floor. Also, I have a book from 1935 called "C.B. Smith's Home Owner's Handbook" that I rely upon for some period-appropriate information, and that confirmed what you say. Also, here are a few good GW threads:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1110391922585.html
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1120450213517.html

So, yes, I am committed to not having too wild a wall. (I originally was going to do a two-color hopscotch pattern! Fortunately, I got talked down from the ledge.)

raee: I pretty much agree with you. I am fairly well resigned to painting the walls. And those tiles need to be warmer, I agree.

EAM: Re: the hex mosaics. Oooh, pretty! I like that, although I am worried about the busy-ness. I am going to put that in my second-tier list of options. (Casey, aka sombreuil mongrel, used Rojo Alicante on HIS red/tan checkerboard floor!)

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I started the new thread where I hope I can come to a choice from the lovely options you have helped me with. The new material can be found here:

Okay, now I am going to recapitulate the lessons learned and the most promising results from this thread.

One lesson I learned was that I really think the BS tiles should be predominantly set on the diagonal. I agree with those who said the mock-ups that were set square to the counter seemed to "fight" with the floor. The ones with diagonal tiles seemed to flow with the floor much better. (Unfortunately, this eliminates my beloved running-bond 4.25x4.25 scheme.) I could perhaps get away with square-set tiles and diamond inserts.

Another important lesson was that the tile should be warm, something to complement the floor. Probably a parchment/biscuit color.

Another good lesson was that I likely won't be able to work around the wall paint. I am reconciled with the idea of painting it.

Here are the mockups I liked the best from the thread. (Again, thanks so much to OldBat2Be, BellaJourney, detroit_burb, and EAM for their help on this task.)

This one is not diagonal, but I do like the simplicity of detroit burbs idea:

BellaJ's deco idea:

Very interesting decorative band by OB2B:

Give in to travertine by EAM:

Give in to travertine, but have diamonds (EAM):

Okay, I am sure that the kernel of my perfect backsplash is in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Continuation thread

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally got the wet saw back out and cut up some tiles to experiment with. Here are some of the new ideas I have been trying.

Here are a few that are inspired by BellaJourney's "diamonds with decos" ideas. The greenish color is a Rainforest Green marble tile that I cut up, and the reddish is the same travertine that is on my floor (as per EAM's idea). The tile is biscuit, but we all agree that I need tiles that are warmer than these. (Also, the flash makes these look really stark):

RFG with many squares:

Less-dense squares:

A little color with RFG + coral travertine:

Interestingly, the diagonal length of a 4.25x4.25" tile is sqrt(2)*4.25" = 6.010". Thus, a subway tile would be the same length as the diagonal of a 4.25" tile, making a decorative band made of subway tiles commensurate with the field tiles. I don't think I have come across this fact before, and don't recall having seen a BS that makes use of it.
    Anyway, here is a pattern of alternating RFG and travertine subways. Obviously, I could also use all RFG or all travertine or all ceramic tiles of a color that is matching or complementary to the field:

Inspired by this picture from the last thread,

I also made more intricate patterns with smaller triangles and squares:

Note that the pattern on the left is readily available in commercial, mesh-mounted borders. However, they mostly tend to use quite rustic stones. The pattern on the right would require many L-cuts in the field tile. This is not a show-stopper, but would be a factor in the decision. I tried avoiding the L-cuts by only replacing one diagonal field tile with the four little ones, but the pattern looked too sparse and toothy.

Finally, I tried to meld the diagonal pattern of the field tiles with a rectilinear border pattern. I rather like this, and may have some more to say about it in the future!

Here is a link that might be useful: Continuation thread