Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rusteol cabinet renew kit - does it work?

Posted by mommabird (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 22:55

I saw the $60 Rusteolum cabinet renew kit at Lowes but does it work? My cabinets are solid cherry with natural finish. They are more than 39 years old and need to be deep cleaned but not bad enough to strip sand and refinish. If this kit works I think it's just what I need.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rusteol cabinet renew kit - does it work?

I have seen awesome testimonial pictures on their website but when we bought the kit, it was a pain to use. We had builder grade light oak cabs. We used the deglosser that the kit provides but it wouldn't take off the glossy exterior if our cabs. When I called customer service, they told me that the deglosser wouldn't remove everything, it was just supposed to dull the gloss but after hours of scrubbing - it still didn't. We ended up buying new cabs eventually so I never tried out the paint to see if it was durable. I did read that you can buy all of the products seperately and save money if you don't intend to put the glaze topcoat on. It's basically just paint stripper and paint with a few rags and such. I would do a little more research before commiting to it. Good luck though.

o
RE: Rusteol cabinet renew kit - does it work?

I refinished my cabinets with the white kit last year. The finish held up for approximately 4 days and the cabinets are already yellowing from the topcoat. I'd go another route if I were you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here