Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with partial quote

Posted by CT_Newbie (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 8, 13 at 22:51

I've picked out the perimeter countertop and it is on hold at the supplier. I am shopping this price amongst a few fabricators. I also need a slab for the island but was thinking of something readily availalble like absolute black or jet mist. I've asked the fabricators to provide a quote for that for a stone in their yard. I have not had time to look at the absolute blacks or jet mists in the fabricator's yards.

So, what happens if I pick a fabricator but don't like their absolute black or jet mist? Is it expected that they would give me the same price per square foot if I went to the supplier again to pick my slab? Or will their price cIhange because suppliers might charge them a different price vs. what they paid for their inventory? Worse yet, what happens if Iike a slab at one of the fabricator's that I didn't choose/? Was my shopping for naught because they will charge me a price for the slab only and then I have to go to the fabricator I picked for installation (and pay that separately)?

My hold expires on Thursday and I don't think I will have time to see each fabricator's inventory for the absolute black and jet mist by then. And the darkness of the jet mist varies greatly and even some of the absolute blacks I've seen have different specs in them. I don't really like the brown specs

Please advise. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with partial quote

The fabricator is more important than the price. Think whole job not "square foot price" That's always misleading anyway, as some fabricators charge for extras and others don't. And the fabricator is always more important than the stone itself. There are plenty of wholesale stone yards that sell to only fabricators. THAT is where you should be looking for your stone, not in the fabricator's lots, which tend to have sparse selection that comes from those stone yards.

Finally, you're looking for a very common and very low variation stone. One slab at whatever location is going to be virtually identical to a slab at another location. It's virtually interchangeable. Don't sweat the stone. Sweat the quality of fabrication. It comes first.

o

CT:

Were I your fabricator, we would locate your approved stone and you would be finished shopping on price. If you weren't finished, I haven't done my job and don't deserve your business.

o

I've heard good things about the fabricators I've asked to quote so that is why I am not as focused on them. One did our current kitchen (though we used a remnant piece). He did a good job but not perfect. He had to come back to glue in the screw for the dishwasher (no big deal). But I thought I was going to get an extra inch or two at one of the ends of the counter which I didn't. I am not sure if he ran out of granite or if there was a miscommunication but overall, I was happy with the job and didn't miss the inch. The second fabricator is one the KD uses a lot.

I would have preferred a fabricator that took a photo of the slabs, digitized them and then show me how they would get put together. But all of the fabricators seem to think that they will template and we will look at it and agree on the seams without the photo (though they said I could print out a photo). My slabs do have some veining but not a lot. It seems like they will put the seam in the middle of the sink so the actual matching is minimal. They said I didn't need book matched.

Thus, I am interested in getting the best price and figuring out the island stone.. Livewire, I agree, that Jet Mist/Abs Black isn't anything special which is why I thought I just could find it in their yard. But I think you're saying I should just find it at a supplier's lot to avoid any issue if it isn't at the lot of the fabricator that I choose. Trebruchet I think you're saying the fabricator can just find one for me. (But I'm DIY and very picky about the shade/pattern, even with the Jet Mist.P)

The cost of the Princess White is sooooo much more than the cost of the White Fantasy (our alternative perimeter) which is why I really do want the best price. I will probably have simple edging - eased or pencil so nothing too tricky. I contemplated having the grooves that lead to the sink for a "built in" dishrack but overtime, it would probably get yucky and stain so best I forgo that

Thank you for your help

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here