Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agk2003

Please post your inset cabinets WITHOUT bead

agk2003
10 years ago

would love to see some inset cabinets without the bead for inspiration. please post yours and thank you!

Comments (64)

• romy718
    10 years ago

Deleted-upside down.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 9:08

• romy718
    10 years ago

Deleted-pic upside down.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 9:05

• aries61
    10 years ago

romy718 - Love your kitchen. I rotated your pictures so everyone could see, how gorgeous it is. 1st picture

• aries61
    10 years ago

romy718 - 2 nd picture

• aries61
    10 years ago

romy718 - 3rd picture . Curious, who is the manufacturer?

• Lisa
    10 years ago

romy718, your kitchen looks like PERFECTION!!! And I love all of the others that you posted too!

• agk2003
    Original Author
    10 years ago

romy, your kitchen makes me swoon! love it. and thanks for posting some of those that served as your inspiration. question- how does one find pictures of a GWer's kitchen? i would love to see more pictures of the above kitchens and can't locate them. thanks!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Here's another. I feel terrible because I don't remember this GWer's name.
    Aries61, my cabinets are Wood-Mode.
    The best way to find GW posts is to google them rather than use the search mode at the bottom of the page. You can also try the finished kitchen blog.
    There are so many beautiful kitchens on GW, I could post pics all day. Also, so many details are given about each kitchen, unlike Houzz.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

I love inset, beaded or not. phorbin, I love your exposed hinges!

• romy718
    10 years ago

I love beaded too and exposed hinges. My husband wanted soft close doors so no exposed hinges for me.

• kompy
    10 years ago

Here's mine 90% Finished.

Plain & Fancy Cabinetry
    Vogue Flush Inset w/ F20 Frame
    Maple
    Cascade White Enamel
    Silestone "Lagoon"
    Bella Cera Accacia Wood Floors
    Polished Nickel Hardware and Latches by Jeffrey Court. I purchased from Hardware Resources.

Kompy

Here is a link that might be useful: polished nickel hardware

• Bunny
    10 years ago

It's a bummer if you can't have soft-close on inset doors with exposed hinges.

I retrofitted my full overlay cabs with Blum soft-close adapters. They're attached to the frame and I can see how having inset doors would interfere with the mechanism. Seems there should be a work-around.

• kompy
    10 years ago

I love the butt hinges! I love how they open all the way back flat against the cabinet. I also love the sound of the magnetic catch when I close the door. It sounds so "Fancy"! LOL, like a fine piece of furniture! :-) These hinges are built to last and will outlive ANY concealed hinge!
    Kompy

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

Here's mine

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Our cabinet maker said that we could have both exposed hinges and soft close doors. In fact, we opted only to put the soft close on the drawers.

This post was edited by francoise47 on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 5:20

• agk2003
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOVE the shiny exposed hinges. so pretty. though for quick work in the kitchen i might prefer the soft close.

• mabsy
    10 years ago

I would love to know whether the cabinets in all of these photos are custom or what the names of the lines are. Kompy listed Plain and Fancy cabinetry, which I love, but that line isn't available in my area. Romy718, what are yours? Any others?

They're all gorgeous. Romy718's seem to have narrower "rails" between each inset drawer, which look very nice and would help me with the tight space I'm working with. So many of the contractors and kitchen companies in my area think I'm nuts to want full inset cabinets vs. full overlay, but I just love the look of inset.

• aries61
    10 years ago

Mabsy, Romy718 are Wood-Mode.

Romy718,what type of wood top is on the long island? Could you post a picture of the front of that Island? What type of floor did you do? You just have a small part of it sneaking out. Sorry for asking so many questions.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Wood-Mode Inset Southhampton Shaker Look Kitchen is gorgeous. Romy718, is this the same as your beautiful kitchen cabinets? Which white is your cabinets? I am back to being in love with the inset cabinets. I just have a small kitchen and I would need a designer to make cabinets not as wide as I have now by adding skinnier ones or I will have stiles in all my cabinets the way it is set up now unless Wood-Mode allows 39" wide cabinets without stiles in the middle which I doubt it since Shiloh does not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood-Mode Inset Southhampton Shaker Look Kitchen

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Romy718, what width are your stiles as I love the look of your kitchen. Which white did you choose? Are the drawers soft close?

I would be happy with any of these inset cabinets and I even love the full overlay ones a few others posted that are shaker especially the frameless. I just really adore the look of inset the best but still not sure if it would work in my kitchen. I love both beaded and no bead. I love the shaker look or a door close to that look that has a slight design like Romy718 has. I love both the hidden hinges and the exposed hinges.

I am almost done my October 15th deadline and then I got to go back shopping since I have to do my floors due to water damage in March 2013 so I might as well finally do something about my cabinets.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Mine are unfinished RTA from Conestoga. My kitchen was DIY.
    CAsey

• kompy
    10 years ago

Masby, Check out Shiloh and Showplace. They are a step down in quality from Plain & Fancy and Wood-Mode but are still VERY nice! And the price is right!!! I would not hesitate to use them in my kitchen. Shiloh extends more West than P&F and as far as I know Showplace goes as far west as LA!

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: showplace dealer locator

• romy718
    10 years ago

Aries61, this is a poor quality picture of the front of the island. I'll take a better pic when i am home on 10/17. The floors are American Walnut, stained with "Special Walnut". I don't remember the name of the stain manufacturer but I have it at home. The island top is also walnut.
    Lynn2006, My door style is Wood-Mode Regent Recessed. The color is Nordic White. The drawers are soft close. I don't know the measurement of the styles and am out of town. I can measure when I get home on10/17.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Romy718! The island is beautiful despite being backwards but we are all looking forward to your post when you get back. I love your everything about your gorgeous kitchen.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

On the WoodMode Website:

Regent Recessed

Shown in Country Linen finish on maple. Additional drawerhead styles available. See the possibilities of Regent Recessed brought to life in:

Southampton

Add to Favorites

previousCabinetry Option 21 of 25

OK, so I got confused because the Website said, "See the possibilities of Regent Recessed brought to life in: Southampton"

But I did pick out the correct door as I love it. I also love the white you chose. I will have to look at the cabinets after my deadline but I seem to like the same look over and over again so I am getting close to knowing what I want.
    I prefer your Nordic White over the Country Linen Finish.

Thank you Romy718 again for sharing and posting right back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood-Mode Inset Door Styles Clickable Link

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 17:06

• aries61
    10 years ago

romy718's island

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Aries61, thank you for posting the picture upright so we can all see Romy718's gorgeous island with the inset cabinets!

• romy718
    10 years ago

Sorry about the upside down/sideways pictures.
    Lynn2006, I obsessed that the Nordic White would be too white, but it is not.
    I am sure that I would have chosen a custom color white if it hadn't been a 5% upcharge. I'm glad I didn't. I looked at the other whites. Linen is definitely more ivory. Lace, I believe has a pink tone. Nordic White is a true crisp white but not stark or cold. I think "Southhampton" is referring to that specific kitchen. You can get the the Regent door with or without a bead, exposed or concealed hinges, etc.
    Plain & Fancy Vogue cabinet doors in Cascade white are another option to consider. They are beautiful cabinets.
    Kompy, I just scrolled up & saw Vogue/Cascade White are your cabinets. There is a kitchen display in my area with those cabinets. Gorgeous!
    Edit: fixed typos

This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 23:57

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Romy718 for sharing. I had a deadline due on 10-15-13 and I am just seeing this post reply now. I have a contractor coming by Monday night to meet with me with all my ideas.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Romy718 for sharing. I had a deadline due on 10-15-13 and I am just seeing this post reply now. I have a contractor coming by Monday night to meet with me with all my ideas.

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Terrific thread. I love all of these cabinets. Love the inset without the bead for a less fussy look.

Romy..I adore your kitchen.

Building again and I don't know if I can justify Woodmode again but it is sooo tempting.

Someone mentioned the WM Lace. Mine are the Lace and it's hard to describe the color. Not stark white but no yellow. When I was building this house, I was looking for a true neutral. Looks good with my SW Creamy paint (trim). This pic is a pretty good representation of the color.

• kompy
    10 years ago

Thanks Romy,

I do have the Vogue door but I opted for a fancier frame detail. P&F lets you mix and match. It did cost a little bit more but I wanted more detail there, than just a routed single bead. Mine is more of an ogee detail.

Here is a picture of my hutch in a previous home. This is the standard Vogue door; flush inset in their Cashmere finish (which has a very soft texture...hard to explain):
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/Kompy/DSCN0057.jpg

The F20 frame gave the door an ogee detail at the door's frame. Here a picture that show the ogee difference from the standard frame.

See other options at link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Frame details

• RoRo67
    10 years ago

dilly_ny I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your cabinets. Who is the manufacturer? They are a piece of art. The grain is fabulous and I love the legs. They way they match the floor is stunning.

• kariwb
    10 years ago

Our inset, shaker, no bead cabs...

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Kariwb, can you tell me more about your beautiful off-white kitchen cabinets? What white was chosen, brand, height of each of the doors, etc. They look so nice! What width is the style and rails on the door and the width of the style between the doors? Thank you so much. I love the shaker look. All of my cabinets are 39" wide so will have a style in the middle if I go with framed shaker. I wish they did not have the style since I have it now but yours looks so slim that maybe it would not bother me as I love the look of inset shaker doors so much.

The style in the middle of my partial overlay doors that I want to change is 3" with 2" showing.

• amykath
    10 years ago

I am curious if Showplace is more affordable than Shiloh? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

• aries61
    10 years ago

Aktillery, With a few estimates that I got comparing the two, showplace was a little more then Shiloh. At one place Showplace was $8672 and Shiloh was $7502 not including tax or delivery. This was for painted inset raised panel door for 16 cabinets.The construction is a little different for the two cabinet lines.

• kompy
    10 years ago

Shiloh should be a bit less than Showplace....how much depends on how big your kitchen is. If going with stained cabinets, I think Showplace has a little bit better stained finish. Shiloh offers distressed cabinets free of charge and they do a beautiful job. But if you want a distressed painted look, I would opt for their olde world finish. Distressed enamel paint just does not look that good.

Shiloh only offers concealed, soft close hinges. Showplace offers both that and exposed butt hinges. Which that is a deal breaker for me. I prefer the exposed hinges in my old home. The soft close doors drive me nuts. I love the feel and sound of the magnetic catch with my P&F cabinets.

As far as the paint job, both offer great looking paint jobs.

It's hard to beat Shiloh on the price....a really great value. IN many instances, I've priced out both KraftMaid full overlay vs Shiloh inset and Shiloh was LESS!

Happy Kitchening!

• kariwb
    10 years ago

Lynn2006 Thanks for the kind words! They are custom, Amish built cabinets and I guess we really just lucked out because we went to the workshop to place our order and it was literally like style: inset, color: almond (or Amish Almond, as we like to call it:)). Done. Beyond what our KD did to establish dimensions, layout, etc., that was the extent of our choices. But, we are very happy so no complaints. Too much choice can be rough for me, as I learned during the building process. Anyway, to answer you questions, the rail (raised edge along the door?) is just shy of 2.5 inches, and the style (between doors) is ~1.75 inches. The lower cabinets are 33 inches tall, and the uppers are 15. The main bank of 3 in this pic are each 22 inches wide. Those height and depth measurements are from the KD plan, not from measuring the doors. Would knock a few inches off if I did that, of course. The rail and style, on the other hand, I did actually just measured with a ruler.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Aries61, I got a price at the end of November 2011 for Shiloh's Inset Cabinets with the square doors that have the recessed panel in Polar white for $11,800 before tax and shipping and not including installation or removal of my soffit and cabinets that I now have that are 22 year years old builder grade. I still have to install the tile floors I bought, buy and install the counters and do the backsplash. I have all my appliances but I am still not sure I am going to keep the refrigerator. My kitchen is only 10' X 13'10" with no island so your price sounds so great. I was trying to decide what to do and then my little dog died. Then I had a tax season, then gallbladder surgery, then so many extensions, then another tax season with a floor during it from my water heater. Now I am ready to change all floors and finally finish my kitchen. I am trying to decide what to do. I was at Home Depot tonight as I wanted a price quote for the frameless cabinets they have but my love is the inset look.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Kariwb, thank you so much! Maybe with such a slim style, I can live with it. I love the look of inset cabinets. Your cabinets are beautiful.

• aries61
    10 years ago

Kariwb, I rotated your picture.

• aries61
    10 years ago

lynn2006, I sent several kitchen places the same list of cabinets and received pricing all over the board. The pricing that I received that includes tax and freight for Shiloh is as follows:$7533, $8226, $8396, $8696, $9003, $9925,and $10454. I've attached a picture that show the basic layout so you can see the size.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Thanks Aries!

• kariwb
    10 years ago

Thanks Aries61! Sometime soon I hope to find time during daylight to pull out my real camera and take some pictures of the whole kitchen to post!

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Aries61! My kitchen is actually a little smaller than your at 13'8" X 10' and I got a price of $11,800 that does not include a counter or hardware or labor. I would still need to pay for labor to remove my soffit (99.9% sure has nothing underneath), remove my > 22 year old builder grade cabinets, install the new cabinets, pay for hardware and a counter, add a backsplash, install my tiles, patch up the ceiling from the poor job installing the recessed lights from one of the more expensive installers that I trusted and freight.

I will call Shiloh and see if there are any other stores that can work with me.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Aries61, I just went back and read that your cabinets are custom made by an Amish Cabinet Maker that gave you a great price for beautiful inset cabinets! I will shop around. Thanks for reminding me of what I love and I will try to be patient.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Thank you Aries61 again for always helping everyone out and letting us know we need to shop around for price but always with a good designer and a store we can work with that listens to what we want.

• aries61
    10 years ago

lynn2006. Thank for the kind words. Not sure about always helping everyone out. I rotate a picture once in a while. There are a lot more people on here that help out more then I do especially some of the professional kd's.

I'm an accountant by profession so I'm always looking at numbers. One thing is that you have to feel comfortable with the kd, layout and pricing for any project.

Good luck with your kitchen. Hopefully one day I can post pictures of my finished kitchen. Hopefully that will happen early next year.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

aeries61, I am an accountant also so I am so detailed oriented and also always looking at numbers. I can't wait to see your finished kitchen one day! I also can't wait until I final finish my kitchen. Thank you for being such a valuable member of this forum.