Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capegirl05

Shopping for Pendants...show me yours....

Capegirl05
12 years ago

So, the house is almost done and I have no pendants above the island because I can't decide. All of the other lighting is in and I need to pull the trigger. Initially, I wanted a pair of schoolhouse pendants. Now, I am looking at the Benson pendants from Restoration Hardware. Where did you find your lighting for your kitchen from? Any pictures out there?

Capegirl

Comments (40)

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Oh goodie! Another distracting fun thread to keep me from focusing on final layouts. We'll pair it with the stools thread and call it done. lol

Being that I am at the beginning of things, I don't have any pendants to show you in my kitchen. I will dig around and see what I have in the file I am beginning to create for this topic, though, and see if I have anything positive to contribute other than oohs and ahhs.

• bahacca
    12 years ago

lightinguniverse.com I bought a chandelier, mini chandelier and ceiling fan from there at the beginning of the year. Just be sure you don't buy something with a long lead time if you want it right away. They ship direct from the manufacturer, so...

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I'm with you all the way, Steph2000. Those pesky kitchen layouts can wait!

Here is one I'm seriously considering. It is a Murray Feiss Parker Place mini-pendant, and it is very similar to the Benson.

I would look at the finished kitchen blog and search old threads for ideas. I found that a local lighting store had better prices than I could find on the internet so definitely check around.

The Benson pendants are on sale right now.

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! The Parker Place light is an option! I had found it weeks ago, but I didn't save it to my Favs...It is a possibility! It is a little more than I want to spend at this point (end of build), but I am also in a time crunch. I am looking for something that will be transitional...nothing too modern as I have a great antique hutch that will be part of my kitchen area. The Benson pendant (RH) comes in Brass Natural...it looks like dark bronze to me???

Will a pendant like the Parker Place in a dark Bronze look too modern? I used some schoolhouse lights (love them!) in the rest of the home....and some lights from Pottery Barn...will that light blend in, etc? In my next life, I want to be an interior designer, so these decisions come easy! LOL
    capegirl

• coco4444
    12 years ago

Mine was an economical choice: Progress Lighting from HD ($69 ea)

Here is a link that might be useful: HD link

• Sidney4
    12 years ago

If you're bargain hunting....mine were $65/ ea. at Overstock.

• doonie
    12 years ago

I got my pendants from LBL lighting. The color and opacity of the shades really makes a difference as to how much light is given off. So, that's another consideration in the selection process.

Here is a link that might be useful: LBL Lighting

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Great thread! It is hard to pick pendants because they need to be functional, are often a major focal point, and need to work with the other lighting fixture in the kitchen.

I bought my pendants way back last January 2011, before I'd even placed my cabinet order. I saw them at ABC Home in NYC and fell in love with them. Buying them "live" was a departure from our other fixtures which were purchased on line via Ebay, or Schoolhouse Electric and Rejuvenation Hardware.

Picking them out helped me set the style/tone for the ktichen which tries to blend "classic" 1920s, a little art deco, and a little bit soulful/European. Hmm... let's see how that works next week when the other hanging fixtures are installed. (I think I'm a classic case of someone who likes too many styles!)

Only six months later when the electrician examined them, did we realize that they are made for non-standard/code electrical boxes and would have to by modified with a ceiling plate to cover the box. At that point I couldn't return them. But I do like them, even with the little white metal plate that now has to hug the ceiling around the fixture to cover the ceiling box. Right now they have 60 watt bulbs. But they can take up to 75 watts.

{{!gwi}}

So is there a lesson in this? Pay attention to the specs and details for electrical fixtures. The "imported from Belgium" on the box should have been a clue. But, doing a major kitchen renovation for the first time, I was pretty clueless. (Hence the needs for daily hits of Gardenweb advice.)

Here is a link that might be useful: ABC Home pendant

• lala girl
    12 years ago

I so agree with Francoise47 about how hard pendants are to pick - for me, it was form meets function. I wanted something low key that would blend with all of the whites in my space - I didn't want them to be a feature but wanted something clean and minimal that would recede (so no chain or metal rod). I went with a fixture from Design within Reach - it's made of bone china so gives off such a nice glow through the globe as well as nice light below. I have been really happy with them -

• jgopp
    12 years ago

Pretty sure you've seen mine but here they are for reference. These are the Benson from RH, always get compliments on them, couldn't love them more.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

I'm in such good company with you, mpagmom! We are going to get ourselves in all kinds of trouble... so much more fun with a buddy!

I mentioned on an earlier thread that my mom believes lighting is the biggest single element in dating a room. She advices using all recessed lights (my mom is a very pragmatic woman). The other side of that coin, though, is that lighting can so make a look. That seems especially true with pendants.

As doonie mentioned, it also seems to depend so much on what kind of lighting you want. I'm thinking I need more room lighting instead of down lighting, so I'm leaning towards options that direction. I think I need lighting there which will extend into the kitchen and adjoining living area and brighten this place up. Problem is, I don't like the bulbs showing, so that is going to limit my choices potentially. A lot of the neat options seem to have clear glass...

Nothing is off the table, though, really. And because I haven't nailed down 'the look' I am going for, styles are so wide open. Here's a bit of eye candy:

From a seller on etsy:

Love these, though I probably don't have the ceilings for them:

My files are a mess but this is inspiring me to clean them up, so hopefully I can post more later.

• senator13
    12 years ago

I got my pendants in my kitchen raised bar from the Etsy seller listed above (lampgoods).

From 2011-08-01

I got my pendants for my dining room from Lumens.

From September 27, 2011

I love them both!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

capegirl, I want to be an interior designer in my next life, too, but it certainly isn't happening in this life! Here's my opinion anyway. I don't think the parker place pendants in dark bronze would look too modern at all. If I use them that is likely the color I'll choose and I'm pretty transitional (at least I think I am - I'm not close enough to being an interior designer to know for sure). I like the Benson pendants a lot, but they look more industrial to me.

I like that Lumens pendant Senator13 just posted, too. And I love your quartersawn oak cabinets. I just saw them in another thread...

• itsallaboutthefood
    12 years ago

Here's ours...CXNY Oona Scavo in mango. We decided to go with just one or our 1/2 round peninsula.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PS-DK-3F9eWmfc4pGQ_HRw?feat=directlink

Here is a link that might be useful: CXNY Oona scavo

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mpagmom...I am really leaning toward the ParkerPlace...what does the botton of the pendant look like...is the bulb covered by the shade, so that if you are looking up toward the inside of the pendant, is the lightbulb exposed or covered by some type of glass? Not explaining it very clearly. I have a lot of respect for designers...

Coco-My DH found that pendant on the HD website and we are considering it. It might be too contemporary for my space though...like I said, I am not a designer so I have no clue...lol
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas...I like the Lumens website...Off to shop some more online...
    capegirl

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Francoise--I'm so glad you posted your pendants! I noticed them on your pic on Capegirl's waterlox wood top thread and loved them! They even fit in my space! (I need 8" wide max.) They are awesome! Any chance you can post a pic of what the ceiling issue looks like? Please?! I love those!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I know what you mean, and it's called a diffuser. I only know that because while I was searching for a picture of the parker place in dark bronze in a real life kitchen I ran across a discussion of whether or not it has one. The description on the Murray Feiss website made it sound like it does, but someone who has it said it does not. Also, someone said they could get them at Macy's with discount coupons for about $140 each. I'll post the link to the discussion.

Breaking news if you like the bronze. I just saw them on the Macy's website for a closeout price of $143 each. Not a bad price and you could have them fast. Here's that link:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=506438&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Happy shopping!

Here is a link that might be useful: Diffuser discussion

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Mine are Italian. I like the whole line, check it out. Similar fixtures are on the first few and last few pages of this website's Il Fanale line.

Here is a link that might be useful: my pendants

• leela4
    12 years ago

Ours are Bruck-made in Germany purchased through a local store:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bruck Pendants

• honeychurch
    12 years ago

Mine are from lighting universe--the Meyda Tiffany fishscale pendant(excuse the bulb, I have a nicer one on there now):

Over my island I have something different:

I have to say when I started the remodelling process I didn't give much thought to lighting and so budgeted accordingly (close to nil). But lights add a lot to the room in both looks and functionality and realizing that is something I definitely owe to this forum!

• bahacca
    12 years ago

I just found these yesterday and my husband and I are in love. Glass art that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and is unique from anything I've seen. We like the red with the yellow/blue toward the bottom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elys art glass pendants

• kimbacub
    12 years ago

we are almost finished with our kitchen remodel and chose a simple frosted bell-shaped pendant.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

I don't have my cabinets, counter tops or appliances yet but I have my pendant lights (and my back splash tile)My lights are from Tech Lighting. I bought them at a local lighting store because they were actually less expensive than any of the on-line suppliers. The lights come in clear, amber, brown, steel blue, amethyst,and smoke. Mine are the smoke color. They give of very nice light and no glare. Here is a picture of one of them.
    {{!gwi}}
    Here is a close up of it
    {{!gwi}}

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So I went to the Macy's website and I guess they changed their "clearance" price on the Parker Pendant's...they are now $195 + tax... I think on the Lumens website, they are the same price but no tax no shipping.

Any other ideas?
    My DH is not going to like the $200/a piece price tag, but it is really the one that I like and lighting is important!
    Especially in the kitchen...but I know, I am preaching to the choir, right?
    capegirl

• kimbacub
    12 years ago

newbie trying once again to post my pic.

These pendants were purchased at lighting universe

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

Bummer! Stalk the Macy's website for a few days - maybe it will drop back down. Most lighting stores carry Murray Feiss, so you should call some local stores and see what price they give you. I know there is a store near me that beats the prices I see online.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

These are NOT mine, but I couldn't resist the silliness.

These are honest to goodness on sale on etsy for $85 each. Surfs up, dude!

• kawh707
    12 years ago

home depot has a really similar (though obviously less luxe) version of the Murray Feiss Parker Place above but it's in a really light brass, which i at first thought was stainless. it actually looks good and has a nice light from below. it's on sale right now for super cheap. also-- rejuvenation has a similar one which comes in many colors and you can specify all of the elements.
    good luck. i've given up on my dining room light-- and may just put in more cans! just can't find the perfect one...

• jgs7691
    12 years ago

We went with the Murray Feiss Parker Place with opaque white glass and brushed nickel (P1144)-- and we love love love them! I think I paid $145 each at a local lighting shop, and it was well worth the extra bling they added to the kitchen (particularly considering the timeless look and the long life-expectancy of lighting fixtures.)

We used two over the island and one over the sink.

Hope that helps!

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Murray Feiss P1144

• blubird
    12 years ago

I was fortunate enough to live near a Capitol lighting store which was having a clearance sale on floor samples. I bought 2 of the Parker Place pendants for $115 each last year.

Here's a picture pre-backsplash...

Helene

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Helene, you got a deal! Are those the 8"diameter pendants? They look bigger. Do you mind me asking what size is your island? Our island is 4'X7' and the 2 light sockets are about 15" apart...wondering if that pendant is too big???
    capegirl

• blubird
    12 years ago

Capegirl,

They are the 8" pendants - the photo is shot from pretty close-up. My island is 29"x63" - smaller than yours. The 2 lights are installed at 26" apart. We worked with the electrician to figure out the lighting overlap. Are your light sockets planned at 15" apart or are they already installed? I think they'll be too close together, practically touching if they're only 15" apart, with not enough light towards the sides of your island.

Helene

• blubird
    12 years ago

Capegirl,

Here's another view of my pendants from further away. You can see how far apart 26" (Center to center) looks and where they fall on the island. They are 17" (measured from the center of the pendant) to the edges of the island. They are mounted so that the bottom rim is 28.5" from the countertop.

Helene

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When I go over to the house today, I will measure. Originally, we planned for three mini pendants but I couldn't find any that didn't look modern. So, my husband re-wired and the sheetrock guy patched the hole. I will measure today and post later. THANK YOU Helene for helping me. :o)
    capegirl

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the dimension of our island/light sockets...

+ Island wooden butcher block ios 48"X 84"...
    + there are now 30" between the two pendant sockets
    + the pendant sockets are centered in the middle of the island...with 27" (roughly) on either side of each socket.

Will those Parker Place pendants work?
    I am off to Restoration Hardware to see the Benson pendants in person :o)!
    Thanks
    capegirl

• blubird
    12 years ago

Capegirl,

I think the 30" between the sockets should work just fine with the Parker Place pendants (try saying that fast!)

Helene

• Capegirl05
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Helene...I am back from RH...Granted everything at RH is BIG BIG BIG, but the lady helping me suggested the 13" Benson pendant (Medium size)...she thought the 7" would be wimpy (my word, not hers)...Now, I am confused...The Benson light in the warm bronze (which looks ORB to me) is really pretty...it gives off a beautiful glow...but the 13" are $299...my dh will die!

capegirl

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

That's hilarious that you started the day wondering if the 8" Parker Place would be too big and ended the day thinking the 7" Benson would be too small. Personally, I'd worry about the 13" taking over the space and looking too close together. So many people have used them that I'm sure there are pictures somewhere to help you decide. I'll search around a bit and see what I find.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

i didn't do pendants over the island, but I did this one over the sink.

Above it not a good pic so here's the one from their website.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    12 years ago

I'm very curious about this too because I've wondered if the 8" Parker Place look too big. I did some serious stalking and I found a few pictures.

This is from mbarbie's kitchen. Looks like the 7" Benson and they are only about 24" apart (I saw a lighting plan). I think the island is a 4' square.

I'll also post a link discussing the Benson pendant. Srg215 ended up using the 11" Harmon because she thought the benson looked too big. Here is her kitchen:

Jgopp specifically said they used 7" Bensons. They look big or small depending on the perspective:

Wow! I love all these kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benson pendants