Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

Talking trash -- Anyone have a door-mounted swing-out can?

angie_diy
11 years ago

I didn't have enough room in my kitchen layout to dedicate a cab for a trash pullout. Right now, I have an open-topped trash can under my sink. Frankly, it gets a little smelly under there, so I am trying to find a way to have a can with a lid.

I tried to use a normal lidded Simple Human can, but basically you cannot have a reasonably sized can AND have the lid open while under the sink.

Has anyone used either this Rev-a-shelf product:

or the similar one from Haefele/Hailo:

I wish to use a plastic trash bag, and fear that it won't really work right with the lid. Any experiences to relate with either one would be super!

I did do a search, and I have linked the best thread I could find below. Still didn't answer my questions. Thanks in advance for any help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Older thread on swing-out trash

Comments (14)

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

From the pictures, if you are interested in the items shown, it looks like you have enough room for a pullout. Are you sure you don't?

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Maybe search for door mounted compost bin? I know a couple people have these. Good luck, oldbat2be.

• springroz
    11 years ago

I really want one of these for the bathroom! Looking forward to any opinions myself.

Nancy

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

I have the round under the prep sink in my kitchen. Lid works with trash bags even though we usually have oversize ones there. Little tricky to replace the bag but no biggie. I put several of these in a year. Mostly at prep sinks.
    Have put the stainless RAS floor mounted double unit in under several primary sinks, holds a little more, very tight fit, check dimensions carefully
    I prefer the door mount.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts and comments so far.

From the pictures, if you are interested in the items shown, it looks like you have enough room for a pullout. Are you sure you don't?

What I am trying to do is to put the trash on one side, and recycling on the other. Here is a picture of my setup (during construction):

I chose a sink with a right rear drain to provide enough room for a trash can in front. This works, i.e., I currently have a standalone trash can sitting between the GD and the door. I also have enough room for either the RAS or the Haefele swing-out units. I just don't know how well they work or if they work with plastic bags.

A slightly different question: Let's say I give up on this idea and use the left part of my base for trash, and put in a pull-out as Numbersjunkie suggested. Are there pull-outs with integrated lids?

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

Will you have anything stored there besides garbage? I ask because if I had the garbage automatically opening each time I open the door to get something else I wouldn't be too thrilled with the smell!

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will you have anything stored there besides garbage? I ask because if I had the garbage automatically opening each time I open the door to get something else I wouldn't be too thrilled with the smell!

But wouldn't having a lid on the can for the 99.9% of the time that the door is closed be better than having it open all of the time (as it must be now)? Do you have an idea of how I can keep a lid on it otherwise?

I actually don't have a lot stored there now. Most of my cleaners are in the basement these days.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

That looks like a neat idea, but how big is that trash can? It looks pretty small.

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah, they are not real big. The RAS one is 20 liters, and is about 16" w x 7"d x 18" h. Honestly, this is about the same size as my current can, which I have used for years!

• lee676
    11 years ago

I've used the round Hafele trash bin that swings out and has a cover that opens when the cabinet door is opened and closes with the cabinet door. It has a removable plastic liner that makes changing bags easy and allows you to tuck in the excess bags (plastic grocery store bags fit well) and it fits on the inside of a 15" wide door and works very well.

• lee676
    11 years ago

Looks like Rev-A-Shelf makes one of these too. My Hafele looked just like it. Don't know whether this works better or worse than the rectangular ones - the latter would seem to be more space-efficient, but I like how the round one glides out on a track rather than clinging to the inner door, positioning it better. (the handle is normally down against the side of the can - it's raised as shown here only when you are lifting out the liner).

• angie_diy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, lee. I appreciate the info.

In the pictures above, it looks like, for the square ones, the Haefele has an inner can, and the RAS does not. That may be a consideration for me!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

I currently have a nearly identical one to the rev-a-shelf. It is pretty convenient, though the only thing is the lid can get pretty grimy and it is hard to remove to clean. also, the lid is not that secure so it doesn't do a good job at keeping out odors, only at keeping the other under-cabinet items from touching garbage if it gets heaped up too high.
    in my next kitchen i am planning on a trash foot pedal thingy and a pull-out garbage can. though I wish there was a self-opening lid mechanism to those-- i am still looking for one!

if you are looking for a can that is better with containing odors, you can check out this one linked below. it seems to be low enough to fit under your sink.. good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: odorless waste container

• lee676
    11 years ago

The round Hafele does have an inner can; some Simple Human bins i've seen also do. The round ones, which are available in several colors and two heights, (i used the shorter one shown here, but mounted higher up so there was room beneath it) the top pivots from the back of the door, whilst the bottom rolls along an extension with a peg at its that fits into a recessed track that runs the circumference of the outer trash can bottom. All you see when you use it is the round bin slowly coming into place as the cabnet door is opened and the cover quilckly springing open at the beginning. There's not much sense of added weight or any need to separately pull out or retract a trash bin.