Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keperkey_gw

Kitchen Layout Help

keperkey
11 years ago

Below is a sketch of about half of our first floor layout. I would like some input on the kitchen. I think we have already decided to put the ovens near the entry from the mudroom with the fridge on the same wall separated by a landing. The wall would look something like this.

Traditional Kitchen design by Boston Kitchen And Bath Venegas and Company

The floor plan is a modified version of the Betz Avignon plan. http://www.frankbetz.com/homeplans/plan_info.html?pn=3941&vw=3

Comments (4)

• smiling
    11 years ago

Do you mean that you're considering switching fridge and oven to the wall where the stove now shows in the plan?

If so, what I like about that idea is that it gets the fridge closer to the banquette, and to the sink. The only issue is that it forces you to move the stove into your traffic aisle from the garage and yard. How big an issue depends on how many people in residence, how much traffic through there, and how often you're at the stove.

Is there a powder room nearby? If not, any chance you could dual-purpose the laundry room?

• keperkey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments. The room you see on the upper right is part of the pantry. The powder room is on the otherside of the foyer from the back of the pantry. I do not think that the laundry is large enough to do an extra toilet. The room on the lower left was a 5th bedroom with a bathroom. We will use this as a workout room so we cut the bathroom and split the extra space between the workout room and the toilet. If you check out the plan on the Betz site you can see what I am referring to.

We have totally redone the kitchen which opens it up completely to the banquet to one side and the vaulted family on the otherwise of the bar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Avignon Plan

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Is that a banquette off to the left of your plan? Why do you have both that and seating at the island?

I am a bit dubious about having the fridge so far out of the cooking zone. I understand that it will make it easily accessible to "interlopers," but won't it make it hard to cook?

• keperkey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes it is a banquette to the left. Banquette is what I would refer to as an "eat in" kitchen and will be used for family meals and less formal gatherings that do not take place in the dining room. Bar seating will be used for kids to help mom cook, hang out spot, homework spot, additional seating, etc.

Fridge would be moved to the wall currently marked with the ovens as shown in the picture attached above with a landing between.

This puts the oven door in the way of the access to mud room, but other than someone coming home and using the garage entrance while someone is cooking, that should not cause a traffic issue. 36" fridge would go to left of landing with door swinging to the right which keeps it out of the access to butlers pantry and in to dining room while still keeping it accessible to interlopers.

Thanks for the thoughts, keep them coming.