Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiechick_07

Anyone else not have the PERFECT Kitchen???

dixiechick_07
15 years ago

Well we are winding down on the kitchen redo which began last September and changed in mid stream from a modest remodel to a full blown, tearing walls and roof out remodel. Thought I had everything figured perfectly, but since the redo was existing space, I guess some of my ideas worked better in my imagination then in the space. I am not saying that I don't love the kitchen (is a far cry from the horrible kitchen I had before), but there are some things that just are not as I had wished they would be. And there is no changing them.... Does anyone else feel that way about their remodel? I know I will enjoy it once it is finished, but I just have a blue feeling about the end result.... It is kind of like post kitchen depression, even though the kitchen is not quite finished. Maybe once it is, it will all come together. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. This forum has been such a blessing.

Comments (52)

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

Hang in there.
    We're pretty much done, waiting for a light and some replacement cabinet doors.
    Biggest problem so far is we've got 52 door/draw handles which means 52 places I need to look to find anything.
    Really a few things are exactly as we thought. Some are way better, others just ok. It seems to be working out.
    Deep breath and start thinking about redoing the bathrooms

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Well, I just found out today that there's a LOAD BEARING beam and some other immovable things exactly where my OTR microwave was supposed to be vented to the outside. We could probably "make it happen" by giving up two kitchen cupboards, one or two pantry cupboards, and having the carpenter crew back for two extra day's work. Maybe.

So I'm going to end up with a recirculating fan again, which was definitely NOT in my "perfect" plan. Guess I'll live. Actually, I hope it's the worst thing that happens.

So, yes, here's someone who's just at the beginning, with her first "imperfect" issue. I suspect that bmorepanic is correct: We'll forget most of those things in 6 months. I do think there's a letdown at the end of something as big as this.

Arlene

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I'm not going to quote this quite right...but I'll try :)

If you look at a Quaker made quilt, you'll see a flaw put into each one on purpose. This is done "Because only God can do perfect".

I like to remember that in my kitchen...with the windows that are too low and the trim paint I need to redo and the pot filler that went on a side wall verses the back wall and the corner cabinet that's a little tight, and the microwave that didn't fit in the island and the...well I think you get the picture :o)

Oh and horror of horrors...my hood is one half inch too far to the left!!! :o) Shocking...but I left it that way :o)

• User
    15 years ago

"The perfect is the enemy of the good." Voltaire

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I have it already and the cabinet order hasn't gone in yet. I'm sure it will get worse as things are actually installed. This is of course why I have dozens of just started but unfinished projects around my own apartment. Fortunately this is for my Mom's kitchen and she won't be having any of my ennui. Thank goodness. Better is OK, we should be able to live with better and not drive ourselves crazy.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

ogloochic - I have to laugh at your half-inch hood! Because, you see, my hood is 1 WHOLE inch too far to the right. Along with the cabinets that surround it. I don't know how you felt, but for at least half a day my entire kitchen was RUINED! Now...eh. I am reasonably sure that even the people upon whose shoulders I wailed & whined have utterly forgotten the issue, & no one sees it.

Including me.

And there's the cork tiles that I wish had been sheet cork with a border; the sood doors that I wish had glass, the 7" cabinet that should have been a 9" one......I could go on.

But you know what dixiechick? I LOVE my kitchen! I'm still tweaking, a year & a half later, but even pre-tweak, I LOVE my kitchen :D

You will too, I'm sure. That almost-finished stage where you're still hyper aware of every little mistake is the worst of it. It WILL get better - much better :)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I think post-kitchen depression is a good way to put it. No room is perfect...No layout works exactly right in exactly every circumstance...Things never look exactly like the pictures in our heads. I won't list the things in my kitchen, because I work at NOT thinking about them to keep the anxiety at bay. The fretting will lessen, them come and go, then, I'm hoping, pass...

Best wishes.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Oh yeah....and I am not even done yet! I wish I had used mocketts or at least plug mold. I hadn't planned to use trim around my two arches, but I don't like the way they look with no trim. The problem is, I will have to notch the trim on the inside of one of the arches because the top cabinets are there. I am just SO happy the cabinet guy used a 1" spacer there or else it would be impossible to even use trim at all. I also wish I had one more cabinet on the bottom instead of all drawers. But all in all, I am happy. Just little picky things that bug me, but I am sure I'll get used to them.

• paigeysmom
    15 years ago

Its funny, I was just thinking about this last night. We're nearly done finally--by tomorrow all contractors should be out of my house! Then we just have a few things left to do. I just stood in the kitchen last night feeling depressed as I looked around and focused on the imperfections and we have lots of them.

The dishwasher that is too close to the sink so that I have to stand pressed against the counter to put dishes into my one and only wall cabinet that I'm only tall enough to reach the bottom shelf of!

The hardware that isn't supposed to be on my mantel hood.

The 7 inch ledge in front of my sink because it didn't actually fit in the cabinet like it was supposed to.

The narrow pantry that we had to squeeze into a corner so tight that it butts up against the window trim.

The light rail molding that is not level on one cabinet and too high on others so that you can barely open the cabinet doors.

The fluted columns that are actually different lengths and the fluting is uneven from one to the next.

These are things I am aware of because I have focused on them as the kitchen progressed each day and I know they were supposed to be different. Now they are part of the kitchen and I am trying to learn to love the whole without seeing the imperfections. Maybe I will get there eventually--probably not today though.

• annettacm
    15 years ago

I had the same feeling after a year planning my wedding (13 years ago!)... they called that "post wedding blues"... so it makes sense that after a long time planning a kitchen, one would feel the same. The thing that gets you through... like the wedding, you forget that the appetizers didn't get served or that they had the wrong color napkins, but the fact that I have a happy marriage is most important. And if you can cook, clean, entertain and raise your family in your kitchen, it's perfect!

True story, just yesterday: I have a 3 month old platinum fridge that looks stainless but is magnetic. I don't like pictures on my fridge. Two weeks ago, my 5 year old was drawing pictures and was so excited to "put them on the fridge for me". I was happy for him, and left them there. Fast forward to yesteday: I remove the pictures, and where one magnet was, every time I had opened the door, it had slightly pushed against the side wall and created a dent in the door. A very visible one inch long dent. I was SO mad... yelled at the kids to never put magnets on my fridge again...pondered how much it would be to purchase a new door...
    ... and then I remembered the joy in my son's face when I hung his picture up and how blessed I am to have them, happy and healthy. So I apologized to the kids, put the picture back up over the dent (putting the magnets in a better place ;) and now, I don't see the dent at all :)

(and the smaller dents from 2 months ago that I complained about on here look so tiny compared to the newest one that I REALLY don't even notice those now! ;)

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

We're not even done with our kitchen and I'm already saying "next time we'll do this or that." DH gets that look like maybe I ought to remove all the pillows from our BR :-P

• hmsweethm
    15 years ago

I remember crying so much during our remodel -- I mean really crying, like my dog had died or something -- and so many sleepless nights, and so many days I was cussing out my contractor (in my mind only -- didn't have the nerve to really do it). And now it's just about done and I love our kitchen and bathrooms. Really I do. But man, was it painful. You too will be happy one day, dixiechick. How can you not be, with that name!

• holligator
    15 years ago

If you're striving for perfection, especially in a kitchen remodel, you're bound to be disappointed no matter what. If you're going for one-heck-of-a-lot-better-than-my-old-kitchen, you will be so much more satisfied and content.

The longer I live in my new kitchen, the more little details I would change if I were to do it over. But, guess what? I'm not doing it over! I just keep reminding myself that, in comparison to my old kitchen, this one is unbelievably, amazingly, spectacularly fabulous! :)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

It's easy to look at someone else's kitchen and wish for better or more perfect. There are some fantastic expensive kitchen on this board. There are also some fantastic inexpensive kitchens. It's easy for us to look at stuff that was way outside our budget and wish we had done our own differently, but like holligator said......my new kitchen is so unbelievably, amazingly, spectacularly fabulous especially when I compare it to what I am living in now....a 1986 tiny single-wide mobile home. The kitchen I have now had two upper cabinets, one sink base, one drawer base, and one double door base with drawers. It's so small I can't even unload the dishwasher because there is no room to put the clean dishes!! I moved out of a 3000 aq ft house into this trailer while we built our forever home (it's been 5 years now). Soon I will have 29 drawers and 12 cabinets to put stuff. My biggest worry will be remembering where stuff is! So even though there are small imperfections, I am thrilled.

• dixiechick_07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As I sit here crying while reading all of your responses, I can't help but feel blessed to have so much empathy and encouragement from you all. It is so comforting to know that I am NOT ALONE!!!! There is so much support from this forum and it is hard for some OUTSIDERS to understand how total strangers??? can be such a support system.... But thanks to all of you for lifting me up. Will take ALL of the advice and work to love my kitchen.

Igloochic - Thanks for reminding me that only God is perfect........ Too bad we could not hire Him for our Kitchen remodels!!!!!!!!!!!
    orubori - Love that idea>>> Will keep it in mind when I am in my Kitchen...

moonkat99,rhone410,hmsweethm - thanks for the encouranging words. I am sure I will love the OVERALL kitchen and hope that the fact that my ceiling is 3/4" off in an 8' run over my vent hood that was my focal point of the kitchen will fade into the sunset some day......

Again, thanks to all who have been so encouraging and supportive. Best of luck to all who are still in the process.
    CC

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

Yes, Yes, Yes! If I could rewind the clock, I'd do some things differently. It's been a big learning experience.

And I'm basically happy. Like you, our new kitchen is a huge improvement from the old. But I have given up on any idea of perfection. It's been - can I live with that snafu or is it fixable within our financial means? And really, the few items that bother me aren't even noticed by anyone else.

• jeanar
    15 years ago

Glad to read everyone's posts on this as well. We aren't done yet, and I just said to my contractor yesterday that I'm already bored with my cabinet choice. I'm so worried that it won't come together like I had imagined and that every single thing will contrast with every other single thing. That people will throw up when they walk into my kitchen because it'll be so ugly.

And that's the first time I've voiced this to anyone, so now I'M crying. I best get off to the gym and work off some of this stress!

• curious_kitty
    15 years ago

Currently I do. Ive ran into some bad luck with my fridge panel, and seems like subzero wont be installed for at least few weeks now.. I am just started to plan for my kitchen remodel(while we are still living in the place), and its been hell. Right now, there is no working fridge, and I hate the 70-esque cabinets in there. I cant wait to start ordering my dream cabinets(once I find out where to order from)....I thought I was the crazy one( i cried at least five times, and its been only 2 weeks into planning), but seems like I wasnt the only one- thank goodness! you guys saved me a trip to my doc

• sergeantcuff
    15 years ago

My remodel hasn't started yet as we are still in the planning stages. Now I think I'm going to write down all the really gross, ugly, awkward, unusable, and inconvenient things about my current kitchen and save for later reference. I can pull this list out when the new kitchen isn't perfect. What do you think?

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

maureeninmd, I think that is a great idea. Go through your kitchen and really pick it apart, write down everything you don't like about it. Not only will you be able to easily remember why you remodeled, the list will make kitchen planning easier if you know what you DON'T want.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

Yes. Our architect designed our kitchen with a peninsula divided by a half wall. It is a long kitchen, and this was his way of giving us more counter space and also dividing the kitchen into a food prep area and a morning room. Except I don't really like the look of the peninsula or half wall. Unfortunately, I didn't know I didn't like it until the framing was already up and the water pipes and gas lines in. Part of my problem is that I have a really hard time visualizing something in 3D while it is still on paper. So, while architect and DH were going over the design, I was zoning out, dreaming of inset cabinets and soapstone countertops. Now I wish I had paid more attention.

• arleneb
    15 years ago

One other thought . . . when doing a kitchen -- or building a whole new house, as we're doing -- we are absolutely forced to focus constantly on details. "Should this plug be here or 1/2" to the left? Is this paint the exact right shade, or should it be one of the 426 other available blues? Three inch trim, or 2.75 inch trim?" etc. etc. etc.

Because of the overwhelming load of details that must be decided, I think we completely lose focus on the big picture. I think for a while, we actually can't even SEE the big picture . . . all we can see is the details . . . so they gain more importance than they deserve.

And after it's finished, at some point, we begin to see the big picture, and the details assume their appropriate importance.

At least that's what happened in my last house, and I'm hoping will happen in this one!

Arlene

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Arlene - I think that is a VERY astute observation. Spot on!

This thread is wonderful. Having been absent from it for most of the last year (post kitchen remodel), I'm back because of another home project, & of course simply HAD to spend some time here, since I'm in the neighborhood....

Which has brought up the likelihood of doing some more tweaking in my 'Finished For Now But Not Really Finished' kitchen, so it's bringing up those 'imperfections' again.

A reminder of how much I do love my kitchen, while focusing on the details to be tweaked, is so very timely.

• lacuisine
    15 years ago

i know, it's so funny, everyone comes over and says, "Your kitchen looks beautiful", and i say, "Uchhhhhh..."

it's not that i don't think it is beautiful, i am just still getting over the trauma of it. all that planning, then delay after frustration, compounded. When everything is FAR behind me i will be able to smile and enjoy it. I try to remember how awful the old one is, and then I feel ecstatic!

LC

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Moonkat???? 1 inch!!! E gads how horribly shocking! (has anyone noticed but you LOL)???

See that half inch, it was a big deal for me because my little designer brain drew a line from the stove to the hood with tile.

See!!! Can you see how traumatic that half inch is? See there where the tile on the bottom of the splash is L shaped, with it's little 1/2 (actually less due to grout) piece sticking out?

Heh heh, ya no one else can see it either :oP But yes, that really ticked me off when we discovered it. We had to shift cabinets, add a filler, etc, because the original gap had been an inch, verses a half inch. Quite the drama (Moving the hood was NOT an option...it's chained to the rafters above it, and built like fort knox around the shell so it can hold up the granite).

• paigeysmom
    15 years ago

I did accidentally find some perspective on this today. I was scrolling through the photos on my computer trying to find one my daughter needed for school. I sped through the pictures I've taken of all the little (or big, to me) imperfections in my kitchen but then I stopped when I came to the before pictures. This process has been going on for so long that I had forgotten how truly awful and horrifying my kitchen was in its pre-remodel condition and how dark everything was before we ripped down or moved several walls. I had been focusing on the color of the hardware and whether we should have used a different edge on part of the granite but I had not realized how far we have come. So much money has been spent and I found myself the past few days asking whether it was even a good idea to do this project right now. After seeing those pictures I realized that I could not have lived another day with the old kitchen. We were at the point where we would have been happier with no kitchen it was so awful and useless. Maybe this little reminder will help me get over the things that didn't turn out the way I envisioned them in my head. I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one in a slump about the things that didn't turn out quite right in my remodel though.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

lol igloo! You have tile, I have beadboard, creating a line that is off off off! SO traumatic!

And yes, now that you mention it, if I look really REALLY closely, I can sorta kinda see it...... uh huh.

You wanna see my mile-wide INCH?

There....see it? It's SOOOO obvious! How can you not see it???

BTW, I'm so inspired by the mosaic backsplashes here, that mirror behind my stove is going to be replaced by one - so exciting!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Igloo, I didnt want to say this, but how can you live with that tile hon??
    My imperfect kitchen is in good company here! A KD would walk in and say the refrigerator must be moved out of the pantry into the kitchen proper. But that would mean my kitchen table would have to go, and the ablility to sit in my kitchen is what makes this kitchen perfect to us. As well as my DHs ability to "disappear" any mistake.
    My kitchen is not perfect, but has many things that are done perfectly.
    As someone said "comparison is the thief of joy."

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I think most of us sort of obsess with our kitchen planning. We dream of it, we spend hours and hours here, looking at pictures and getting inspiration. Along the way, we begin to form a pretty clear vision in our heads of exactly what our kitchens will look like. And then the unthinkable happens.....the kitchen that sits before us is not exactly like the one we saw in our minds for so many months!! I think it's pretty natural to feel a sense of disapointment. But rather than stress about stuff that honestly probably no on in the whole world will notice except you (mainly because they never got to see the kitchen that you had stored away in your mind), learn to love what you have. It is by far better than the old kitchen, even if it is not exactly what you envisioned.

Someone posted something very profound on the decorating forum one time. I didn't copy and save it....wish I had! But I do remember one key phrase which is very good. She said "If your project does not turn out exactly like you envisioned, rather than get upset about it, just adjust your vision".

Pretty good advise!

• janefan
    15 years ago

Reading this thread has been so reassuring! We're 99% done...just waiting on some fake cabinet doors/drawers for an awkward space--which was one of the first disappointments (that awkward space was supposed to be an open bookshelf).

I think when you're in it, watching the slow, day-to-day progress, it becomes difficult to step back and see it from a fresh perspective. Sometimes all I can see is my refrigerator sticking out too far or the gap between my cabinets and my oven. Then there are my "barrier island" moments where I have mini panic attacks that my island should have been much shorter. I stood in the kitchen last night on my way up to bed and stared at the pendants above the island thinking they look ridiculous--and they were my favorite thing for a few weeks!!

• caligal
    15 years ago

Hi, new here, love this thread. I am into my 3rd week of our kitchen remodel and also the delivery of my 3rd range. I cannot go through another delivery, so I will keep this one even though it is slightly scratched.

I ended up w/ 5", yes 5!, at the end of a cabinet run because we were supposed to leave that at the other end so our fridge door wouldn't whack the exit door out to the garage. Now we will have a wine cubbie area instead.

We couldn't use a fabulous apron sink (the one I have wanted for 4 years) and now have switched to SS.

My friends tell me how wonderful and spacious it is now, but I just want it finished. I am tired of waking up in the middle of the night obsessing over every little detail.

Good to hear others talk about their experiences, thanks!

• raineygirl
    15 years ago

OMG!! Why didn't I read these posts first before posting my own problems with my Kitchen remodel.

I can't tell you how much better I feel just reading that I'm NOT ALONE on my feelings. I became so obsessive with my thoughts of the flaws in my kitchen that I could hardly concentrate on anything else. I kept telling myself that I paid all this money and I should have 'exactly' what I want. The main thing that really bothered me was the 1/2" gap on both sides of my stove and countertop. No way can it be fixed without ripping out the one side of the granite countertop and then a new piece would have to be matched and cut. So, like some of you, everytime I would walk into my kitchen, I would see that space on either side. I even bought some of those gap fillers [t-thingees] and I don't care for the look it gives. Anyway, I've decided to just try to live with it! My son and his wife think it's fine and hardly noticeable. Maybe they are right and I notice it because I'm looking for it.

Having said that, I do love my kitchen. Sure, I have some thoughts that I should have done this or picked that...but all in all, I still love it! I live in a condo and have a small galley kitchen that's opened to the living room so it looks really nice sitting in the living room and looking over at the bar area with the beautiful black galaxy countertops. I didn't want to spend too much on the kitchen since it is a condo but I wanted a kitchen that I can enjoy for as long as I'm living here. I've always admired granite countertops and finally got my own:)

Thanks to all of you for sharing your feelings. I was thinking that I was the only one that had these feelings of despair and missing out on the positive side of it.

Thanks again!!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

My Mom's is not an elaborate re-model so I worry that despite all the care and effort put into our choices it will just end up looking cheap. And the fact that all she seems to be worried about is that it's better just makes it worse (how dare she be so reasonable)

I think document, document and document is great advice. Every time I pick up the camera to take another picture she wonders what I could have missed in the last 40 shots I took but I want to have a picture of every hideous nook and cranny. I was ordering an accessory today and I realized I hadn't documented the awful insides of the cupboards yet - guess what I'm doing Saturday.

Look at it:

I'm sorry to have made you look, your appetite will come back in a couple of hours. To improve on that is not setting the bar very high I just need to get a grip. Not too many people mentioned this but I think the budget\money side can really weigh you down. The more the money gets attached to hard costs the more my anxiety peaks and it isn't even my money. I would be a wreck if I were a KD. I wish anti-depressants for you all in whatever form you like to have them - tonight mine is a brownie.

• caligal
    15 years ago

I think a glass of wine will be mine tonight. Don't you hate when you finally make a decision and then wham! you start to think that wasn't the best choice for a _______(you fill in the blank).

• cooksnsews
    15 years ago

My own personal rationalization for the difference between my imaginary kitchen and the real one that is taking shape above me, is that it is TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE to predict the final look, regardless of one's expericence, technology, or budget.

In my case, the colours are totally NOT what I had in mind. NOT me at all! But, at this point, I'm determined to play with what I have, and make it work. While my new blue cupboards are not exactly the blue I had in mind, I know I will love them. It's the countertops that have thrown my plans. I had to opt for Plan B when the fabricators of Plan A proposed a totally impossible timeline. Plan B coordinates well with the cabs, but necessitated a total rethink of floor and wall colour. The revised colours don't match anything else in the house, so I fear that everything will have to be repainted. I know it is only paint, except we just don't move very fast in our family. It has taken me 14 years to get around to the kitchen, and the thought of moving everything in the LR to paint its walls, after the cost overruns on the kitchen (not to mention the trauma of camping in the basement) suggest that we may just ignore the mismatched decor until we forget about it. To be honest, right now, I'd rather have an oven again, rather than a colour-perfect house.

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

Ok the 1/2 inch is awful, not.

How about the let's cut a SMALL hole in the floor to level the refrigerator because all the cabinets are in? (Removed the top frige door bracket and cut a "little" out of the cabinet bottom worked better.)

OR

Come home from work RIGHT NOW we need to rip all the tile out it's awful and the then go kill the KD.

You can't see the slot in the cabinets and they may give us a design prize for the beautiful tile work which is as designed.

The joy of the kitchen really does hide the little "allowances". Guantanteed you will love this kitchen

Doing a kitchen is like having a baby. Months of being sick and then a Mr. Magoo that really does grow into the beautiful swan.

(except that little hole in the wood trim which I will always always always see.)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Hmm, let's see...

our expensive faucet is horrible (even Hubby agrees with me on this one)
    the seams on our granite were not done very well
    they messed up the templating
    they messed up the sealer (luckily this is fixable)
    when they came back to fix the bad installation they damaged one of the cabinets.
    the cabinet stain color I approved is not the stain color I wound up with. Even worse, it is precisely the color value I said I absolutely did not want and that looks horrible with our granite

NOTHING in the kitchen (except the purple paint) is what I wanted. It's full of compromises to budget and Hubby. I just keep telling myself that it is tons better than what we had before (which is true).

We're far from done, too. I hold out hope that once it is finally done it will all come together and look good.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Of course my kitchen isn't perfect. I see the flaws in it all the time. I wonder if they are as glaring to others as they are to me. I do have a case of the "I wishes," but only at times. I know, from prior experience with myself (I have been living with myself for a LONG period of time)that I will always wonder, what if? That is just me. I am curious. I am always wondering what is around the next bend.

What if I had placed the fridge where the step in pantry is now? Could I have given up six inches of cupboard space (in my tiny kitchen) for a 36 inch stove? That is my latest one this morning. I now think a 36 inch stove is "my" stove size.

I wonder how I got a scratch in my new cupboards and then think, did I get bad cabinets? Was this not a good cabinet company? The fact is that I WORK in my kitchen. When I see the "patina" in someone elses kitchen, I think it is charming and wonder about how this or how that scratch came to be. Were they chopping veggies for the Sunday night dinner while talking and laughing together in anticipation of a great meal? Were they teaching their youngest how to make a P B & J sandwich for the first time and the knife slipped? Did the joy in their child's eyes after a delicious job well done outshine the scratch and make it a mark of a "growing up" milestone in their child's life?

Then, there are times when I just look at my kitchen and marvel over the beauty of the natural cupboards. I think to myself, what I great choice I made for me. So much better than my old kitchen cupboards. Why is it I see the beauty in flaws and wonder about their possibilities when it comes to something someone else has, but don't see it when it is something of mine?

They put a seam in my granite where it was supposed to be solid slab. That kills me. However, I love discovering new movements in it or something I hadn't see before. I marvel and wonder what the earth was like when it was "made." What was going on? How lucky I get to be this stone's caretaker and enjoy its natural beauty.

I am learning to love stainless steel appliances and love the fridge just after I clean the stupid thing. Don't even get me started on my dishwasher. I think of it and swoon. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the thing. I may have to bury it with me when I go. Have I mentioned how much I love my dishwasher?

So, yes, I don't have a perfect kitchen. Even if I had all the space, time and money in the world, I probably STILL wouldn't have the perfect kitchen. That is just the way I am. Do I love my kitchen warts and all. Yup. BTW, did I tell you how much I LOVE my new dishwasher?

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

mustbnuts you love your DW? Care to share the brand and model? I am still trying to pick a DW. thanks!

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

I'm still mentally redesigning my kitchen. Mysterymachine's peninsula had me looking critically at my island. One of the KD layouts had shown a peninsula; we could do it....but then I remember why we rejected it (flow). I originally wanted cherry cabs; I ended up w/natural maple.... Oh well. I wanted quartz counters; ended up w/laminate... I wanted an unfitted look; ended up with a wall of base cabs and a lazy S... Sigh.

But whenever I do laundry, I appreciate the kitchen. We moved the kitchen to the DR space, freeing up the galley kitchen space to be a laundry room and butler's pantry. The W/D are under the counter and we removed a cab above them to put in a dowel rod. Now I can fold and hang clothes in a spacious, pleasant setting, close to all the action. Now THAT makes it all worthwhile.

• wascolette
    15 years ago

We finally did the backsplash. What became highly noticeable afterward was that the 2 windows above the sink which are right next to each other are not even. One is like 3/4" high than the other. Sigh.

DH built this house so I can't really complain. Well, I guess I could, but what good will it do me? It will just be one more of the quirky things in the kitchen....and there are many more.

Perfect? No. Lovely in so many other ways? Yes.

• carmensnana
    15 years ago

We're only in the early stages of remodeling the kitchen we built (emphasis on the WE, not professionals who actually knew what they were doing) 25 years ago. We're in Phase One of who knows how many phases...but anyway, while discussing possibilities a few weeks ago, I noticed--FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 25 YEARS--that my DH neglected to put a piece of trim in front of one cabinet up where it meets the soffit. My first reaction was of course to be horrified at such a thing, but then I realized that absolutely no one, including me who has practically lived my life in that kitchen, had ever noticed for a quarter of a century that the piece of trim was missing.

Hope I can keep that perspective as we move through the phases! I'm definitely going to depend on this forum to help me!

• eking
    15 years ago

Thank you!, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

LOL Moon! That inch is so horrifyingly (new word) inch like :oP It's like umm HUGE umm in an inch like (and totally un noticable way) :oP I'd have shot the designer immediately...even if it were me (oh wait I was the designer on my half inch delima...thank god I've packed the heat) :oP

"we need to rip all the tile out it's awful and the then go kill the KD."

E gads that made me spit out my wine laughing :o)

• cathyinbothell
    15 years ago

I HATE the lighting in our kitchen...it just doesn't work. I tried to get tricky with a combo of recessed lighting and track lighting and only half the kitchen lights up at one time and I don't want to start tearing the ceiling out again. BUT....when it's late in the evening and the overhead lights are off, and my undercabinet lights shed a soft glow on my beautiful granite...then I think "Man..am I lucky!"

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Igloochic & Moonkat - what are you two talking about???

heh heh :)

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Well, you know what they say...

It's not the size that matters,
    It's how you cook with it.

;-)

• Abita Queen Bee
    15 years ago

The cabinet JUST left, he tried to "fix the problem" and I looked at him and said.... man, this isn't going to work. After crying about it for 2 hours....on my BIRTHDAY, my son looks up at me and gives me a hug and says....."mama, at least you have cabinets to cry about...." and so folks, that put my day in perspective. It isn't 100% right. will it ever be? I hope we work out a resolution. But at least I have cabinets to cry about.

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

I need to stop reading the GW kitchen forum because now that I'm almost done I see pictures of your FABULOUS kitchens and say to myself "Oh, if only I would have done that", or "Why didn't I know about that three months ago". Ugh! I know I won't have the opportunity to remodel my kitchen for a very, very long time.

Why am I so addicted to this site????

• dixiechick_07
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It sure is good to be in such GREAT company. You all are so encouraging and bring such perspective to the issue. I know I will love the kitchen once it is finished and do keep reminding myself that it is so much better than what I had.... I guess it is just hard to see PRO's accept defects in their work and be satisfied with it....... Anyway, thanks to all of you who have responded to my rant...... Good luck to all of you who are still in the process... Will try to post pics once it is finished..