Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huango

Need your designing skills: help suggest colors/more? Many pix

huango
12 years ago

Need your designing skills: help suggest colors? Many pictures

I really need your help because I totally lack the designer gene.

Could someone take me on as their pet project, or do you think I should just go to a local designer?

I feel like my kitchen is a long narrow bowling alley or something, totally lacking in character and personality.

For months (years?), I slaved over the layout.

Layout:

Left side by brick fireplace: all fridge, Advantium/wall oven:

Right side: 36" induction cooktop w/ 42" copper hood, hutch houses all-freezer facing French doors:

>

Then onto cabinet choices: I believe I want something like the style and stain of cjc123's inset uppers cherry Cabico and zelmar's mahogany Crown Point.

Perimeter countertop is brushed stainless steel with integrated sink with marine edge (no water dripping off onto wood cabinets or floor).

Cjc123:

Zelmar:

{{gwi:1613677}}

Now here's the start of the dilemmas:

1. I love this beautiful black walnut 3" thick x 36" wide x 108" long butcher block w/ ogee edge for my island top.

Example:

o Problem: I haven't fallen in love with many islands w/ butcher block where there is not a great contrast between the wood color. Ie. Cherry cabinets with light maple, or white cabinets with black walnut.

o So should I have an off-white painted island (to match my far-right hutch)?

o I kinda want to stay away from all white cabinets because I am not a neat-freak, and I wouldd think that the island would get the most wear (w/ 2 kids: 7.5yr, and almost 6yrs, and their future teenager friends).

2. Next problem:

o Too many colors in this kitchen:

X Cherry cabs

X Stainless counter

X White island (and hutch)

X Black walnut BB

X Ooh, do not forget my 42" copper hood

X Wood floor, which is the next problem: what kind/color stain wood?

X Wood beams (like brickton)

Hood is similar style but less shiny/more patina to this example:

Brickton's wood beams:

3. What wood/color for flooring?

o I really do not want wood floor in my kitchen (cleaning and gap/contraction/expansion issues), but there is no other product that I like instead (and no one would let me put in linoleum sheets).

o I am thinking these gorgeous heart pine floor

4. What color wall paint?

5. I do not really like curtains in my kitchen (like little valances). But will I need something for my 12feet of windows? My inspiration was ErikaNH:

6. Besides recessed lighting, I have schoolhouse pendants: one over the sink, 2 over the island (kinda like Erika's)

Gosh, I have not even thought of drawer pulls or faucets (2 for the sink: one for me, and one for DH), stools for the island, rugs, or my keeping room furniture.

Thank you so very much for your help/ideas,

Amanda/Huango

(I am sorry if I do not response very quickly; usual down time is late night).

Comments (13)

• plllog
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I get why you're second guessing yourself, Amanda, we all do! But you don't have too many colors. You have a whole slew of neutrals. They'll all go together. Contrast is good! Pump up the lights and darks. Go for the colors in the inspiration pictures. Revel in the lighter pine color, and the darker beams.

If you want the contrast of the island with top, go ahead and use the hutch color. If you have them factory sprayed, the paint will be more durable, and it should be easy to clean. It'll show scuffs more, but clean up fine. If you want to hide scuffs, stick with the cherry. But do the black walnut either way. I don't think a light wood top is going to look as good in this position, and if you don't love the lack of contrast just be happy you don't have to see the scuffs.

Instead of curtains, if you need privacy treatments for your windows, you can get those blinds that are really flat when they're up. Or the more rustic roller shades made of little bamboo sticks would be a great contrast to the polish of the rest of the space. You don't need any window treatment if you don't have people looking in your windows. Not if you don't want one.

For the wall paint, I'd suggest a warm neutral like a sand color, or something a little coppery but light, or even an ivory or cream. I think a cooler color would be jarring. You have plenty of contrast in your palette, so I think sticking with analogous colors would be better.

It doesn't matter if your kitchen doesn't come out designery. You've done a fine job of assembling things you love that should look good together.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

If you go with wood cabs, a wood floor and wood island top, it might be overload. The ss counters will lighten it up a little, but it may be one wood element too many for me.

I'd consider a cork for the floor if you don't want wood or tile. You can get cork in a non-wood color.

Most importantly. I looked at your layout and it seems like your freezer is very far from your fridge. I can't imagine that working for me and how I cook. I wonder if everyone else seems to look in one or the other consecutively? I imagine I'd need roller skates to go back and forth so much..... I'd make note of how often you need both around the same time while you cook now and try to imagine going all the way over to the other side. If you ever put ice in drinks, that alone would be a trek... YMMV

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Have you considered two fridge/freezers, one in each location?

• huango
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just a quickie before bed:
    - call me left brain, but I actually made a log of how often I use my fridge/freezer. I kept the log for 2 months in the Spring and 2 months in the Summer and most of September.

We don't access our freezer frequently (doesn't mean it's not stuffed w/ food). So that's when I got the great idea to split them up. Why have the freezer in such high value real-estate (center of kitchen) when I only use it a few times a day! :)

My average:
    - Fridge ~34 times/day
    - Freezer ~5 imes/day
    (once for breakfast sausage sometimes, 2nd for DS lunch bag ice pack, 3rd time to get a meat to defrost for dinner, 4th is to return DS' ice pack after he gets home from school right by mudroom, and then late at night when DH grabs his ice cream).

We already own these Kenmore Elite all frige/freezer.

Like Rhome10, I'll be building the fridge surround to fit a 36" fridge, in case in the future we want to replace w/ a 36" French door/freezer on bottom.

If we don't need the all freezer in the future, the freezer-surround can always be turned into shelves.

We're in Mass (heck, we just had snow last night and expecting more), so we don't use a lot of ice/drinks. There's not a lot of going back and forth.

Thanks,
    Amanda

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I love your choices and I don't think the placement of the freezer is bad.

• huango
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now, how to bling it up a bit? Especially at night when my wall of windows become black silent holes?

Plllog: Yes, I am definitely second guessing myself. Design is so non-"2+2=4", where as layout is based on measurements and logic. Thus I am feeling totally out of my elements.
    I do love black walnut BB!
    I have a very private backyard, so I do not need curtains for privacy. I think I will make the window molding nice and prominent (instead of getting curtains).
    One great thing about having the windows go all the way down to the countertop is that I don�t have to worry about backsplash. The backsplash at the cooktop will be a sheet of stainless, to go with the stainless countertop. Easy to wipe off, no grout lines, easy peasy!
    Wall color, wall color, I like so many different kitchens with all the beautiful different colors. How to narrow it down to only 1 choice?

Dianalo: yup, I am concerned about the wood overload, especially so many different types/colors of wood.
    I have been reading, and from some posters� review, I am just not loving cork flooring.
    A poster (I am blanking who) shared the new really thin but LARGE porcelain tiles in big tiles of ?4feet by 8feet. I thought about getting those, but I don�t think these modern-looking tiles would fit the style of my house (colonial).
    As for the fridge/freezer distance, again, I logged how many times we opened them today. Even with hosting a big (10 adults, 10 kids) family dinner, we opened the freezer 3x (to take out vanilla ice cream for the apple crisp, and to put it back, and once for the frozen cut spinach). But we must have opened the fridge 60+ times! (for the eggs, then butter, then milk for kids, then storage for the marinating ribs, then yogurt snack, then to chill the wine�so on).

Palimpsest: Great minds think alike.
    When the KE fridge/freezer die, then we will replace with a French door, freezer on the bottom one (or two).

Eandhl: thank you.
    Sometimes it just helps to get some reassurance when there are so many unknowns.
    DH has not been that great of a sounding board: "What do you think of this stain/finish?" to which my eloquent husband would gush: "Fine". (He is the strong silent type).

Thank you,
    Amanda

• plllog
    12 years ago

Amanda, I think the heart pine will give you enough contrast with your other woods that it would be fine for the floor, if you want a wood floor, and it'll certainly go with the Colonial house.

If you want tile, which will be colder, though very easy to care for, consider 1'x2' French pavers. They're a light terra cotta, and very traditional in kitchens. The antique ones are very expensive, but there are new ones of the type being made now. For authentic Colonial, I think a gray slate kind of look would be more on point, but it would make your kitchen look dreary, whereas the light clay look of the French pavers would be cheery and should go with your big brick hulk. :)

Even though you've spec'd a lot of wood, with the painted section, and the windows, and the brick fire surround, and the flow into the dining room, I think you have enough relief that you can go a bit wild in the kitchen with the woods and get away with it. Especially with all the different kinds and colors you've chosen, which provide you with contrast and interest. You have the whole warm side of the color wheel (i.e., analogous colors) -- to throw some logic at you. :)

Floor: yellow-brown (I'd go natural on them. They'll age to a really nice honey color.)
    Cabinets: red-brown
    Island top: dark red-brown
    Beams: charcoal-brown
    Hood: orange-brown

For hue and brightness contrast you have the silver-gray stainless counters and the white cabinets.

You can do window treatments whose main job is to bling up your black hole windows at night. There are slat blinds that have art painted on them, for instance. You could do a lacy shade. Or something baroque and flocked. Shades are pretty inexpensive, and can be changed out when you get tired of them. And they don't get into the soup, and hide pretty well when they're up. You can even do clear vinyl and let your kids paint on them for each season, then wash them off and start over.

One of the great things about all of your colorblocking is that you don't really need a lot of bling to make the kitchen lively. Add in the detritus of family life and you're there. Plus, you also have hardware (i.e., jewelry) to choose. You can go simple and demure, in a silvery color to go with the stainless counters, but you could do art glass or wild granite knobs, colored resin bar pulls, Anne At Home theme hardware, or whatever suits your fancy. Some hardware looks dumb in some settings, but I think your kitchen can take a lot of interest without feeling overdone.

I mean, how much bling do you want?

• huango
    Original Author
    12 years ago

plllog: Hmmm... French pavers...
    Do you have any pix of them in the 1'x2' size?
    I am having trouble picturing them.
    I found these examples:
    {{gwi:1969171}}

{{gwi:1693014}}

I LOVE the low maintenance of them!

My kitchen faces South so I get plenty of daylight. I think cool grey slate would be great too.
    Would reddish brick pavers be too much red-brown, w/ the cherry cabs?

I am also getting radiant heat, which another poster shared that the pavers kept warm in the Winter, and cool in the summer.

Not sure if DH will go for them though...

Cool idea about the vinyl shades where my kids can paint themselves!

What about accessories?
    You know how "finished" kitchens have those great paintines or decorative artwork, or bowls of fruit, etc? What items or cluster of items would work here?

I love the old crystal knobs; I am going to put them on the "hutch" (where the freezer/mail is).

Thank you very much for your ideas!
    Amanda

• plllog
    12 years ago

Don't plan accessories now. There's a big difference between a real space and a rendering, and you have to feel the space to be sure, and choose the items based on how they make you and your family feel. There are plenty of designery things we could suggest that would look good, but they won't have that personal connection. Live with the space awhile. Keep your eyes open, especially when you're on vacation. Check your mom's attic, or wherever old family pieces are tucked away.

Here's an article about antique French pavers. The French pavers are a peachy color (your top picture looks like the orangy end, but that's the general idea) but there are so many kinds that it's hard to say which will look best with your other materials. If you can get a sample of the cherry door, you can test it against them, and the heart pine, and bring floor samples home to check against the chimney. It should all work together with either, and stay in that warm color range, plus lighter than your other warm finishes. The pavers would be a different texture than one more wood grain. Here's another picture:

With under floor radiant heat, it doesn't matter so much about the material. In fact, pavers might retain some heat at night when you turn down the thermostat. If you go for pavers or slate, definitely test them out and walk on them (or let the kids do) barefoot. Make sure they're what you want.

Slate grays are usually warm grays too, and they'll make sense with the stainless counters, so they should look good too. Just be careful of the value--how dark they are. Your kitchen will be cheerier with a lighter floor. If you go for a medium or dark slate, definitely go lighter on the walls. Maybe a white or cream, which with the white cabinets will lift the room.

• huango
    Original Author
    12 years ago

With my choices, I think this example kitchen (1st picture) may very much look like my future kitchen
    - Cherry cab (will not be as red)
    - Maple butcher block
    - Windows down to countertop
    - Pavers
    - Neutral/warm wall color

Now why does it not have the allure of one of my inspiration kitchens (2nd picture)? What is it about Elizpiz's kitchen that my jaw drops open in awe?

I have a few similar choices as Allison's gorgeous kitchen (3rd picture), but why is hers so pulled-together and mesmerizing with:
    - copper hood,
    - wood countertop
    - multi-colors (painted island, pine cabinets, cream panel fridge, granite countertop, etc)
    - stone flooring,
    - neutral wall color, etc?

Picture#1: My future kitchen look? I am not really loving it.

Picture#2: Elizpiz:

Picture#3: Allison:

Plllog: ooh, nice French pavers.
    The only reason why I mentioned accessories is because I read from one poster (a while back) complain that because she did not have a cohesive inspiration or end-goal in mind, she floundered around with the finishing touches for her kitchen. I was concerned that I'd end up the same way, wavering and lost at the end with an 'unfinished' kitchen.

I totally agree that I would want my accessories to have personal connection, not just randomly selected from PotteryBarn, etc. We do have a lot of travel plans, but until then, I am afraid that my kitchen may look a little sparse.

Thank you,
    Amanda

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Look at Ann Sacks HACIENDA or PLAZA cement tiles, which start at 6.05-6.87 a square foot, and come in a number of colors, if you want to get slightly away from the orangey paver with orangey cabinet.

The big difference between kitchen #1 and the others is that kitchen #1 is essentially monochromatic, with the cherry tone of the cabinet being cut with white to get all of the other tones. It is perfectly pleasant, but a bit dull in comparison to the other kitchens you picture, Elizpiz's kitchen which has varied wood tones, paint colors, textures and a red oven door which won't be ignored, and Allison's which is classic palette of complex "neutrals" that really contain a lot of color.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I agree with Palimpsest about the drama. Your computer generated 3D rendering has more drama than the picture that scares you. Palimpsest is also right that there are other pavers that would give you more color choices. I think a large format (like the 1'x2') would look good in your particular kitchen.

Just remember that contrast is your friend.

As for buying accessories, the best way is to keep it in your mind. Maybe there's an art fair where the kids are going for a birthday party, or you see something great in a shop window while you're regretting having to park three blocks from your destination. If you have an idea in mind of what your kitchen will look like, you'll be able to pounce on these things. They don't have to be expensive either. Maybe there will be something at a white elephant sale or in a thrift shop.

Since you know your cabinet color, and your hood, which are the strongest colors you have so far, plus the neutrals of the stainless and the white, you should be able to find a tray or a painting or a vase that's just what you need...and if you happen upon it now, you can always use one of the colors in it as a starting place for a wall color or upholstery or whatever.

• allison0704
    12 years ago

Hey Amanda,

Received your email. I'm sorry I haven't commented earlier - have been busy. I hadn't read all the comments until today. Plllog and Pal have given you good advise. (btw, it was Pal that mentioned the gigantic tiles.) You're working it all out by talking, which is great - so not going to happen overnight. Please stop worrying about accessories until after your kitchen is completed - unless there is something you want to showcase, why bother. That's part of the "after party" - the hunting for special and/or functional pieces.

The kitchen that scares you is monochromatic, and quite frankly, boring. That's why it does not excite you! Elizpiz and my kitchen are full of colors and textures.

One word about pine - it is way softer than oak. Do you want distressed? We considered pine for the main areas of the house, but I decided against it after seeing dark pine floors that just didn't live up to the vintage, well-worn patina pine floors in a local restaurant. (DH thought they were nasty looking, but I thought they were gorgeous! ;D ) Also, if the pine is exposed to a lot of sunshine (which yours will be) they can yellow. So know how you feel about that in advance.

If Elizpiz's kitchen makes your jaws drop, why are you going with dark cabinets? If you're worried about the finish holding up with kids, I certainly understand (have three myself). Factory and custom finishes can hold up.

Where is your table and chairs/dining area?