Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Kitchen Layout Suggestions/Feedback

Posted by quartz_crystal (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 12 at 22:38

Hello all,

I have to say that I love this site. I've been researching all aspects of my new home build; this site always comes up in google with excellent insight provided by the many forum members. So, now it's time for me to ask for some help, bear with me, this is my first post.

I'm working on my main floor plan and am having second thoughts on some things.

1) For those of you with experience with a sink in the island, do you recommend? Thoughts?
2) My pantry is situated in the corner of the L, beside it is the double wall ovens and beside that is the fridge. The sink and D/W are directly opposite in the island. I'm concerned that there's a lot of activity concentrated in that one space. Any thoughts, insight, suggestions for improvements?

3) Any thoughts on the island? We're trying to use it as a visiting station, breakfast area, prep area all in one. It also creates a bit of a separation between the living room and the front part of the house. The idea is triangulating our entertaining - for formal entertaining, we would concentrate in the kitchen, dining room and parlour. For more informal gatherings, we would concentrate in the kitchen, living room (sunken) and dining room. Also, the living room brings the indoor and outdoor spaces together for summer entertaining.

My DH worries that I'm over-thinking it, but I'm of the opinion that you only get one shot, so do it right.

I would love to hear your feedback!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Kitchen Layout Suggestions/Feedback

You are right to be concerned, in my opinion. I would try this if it were my plan:

- Put the fridge on the living room end of the stove run.

- I'd put the oven on the pantry end of the stove run.

- Then I'd move the sink and dw to the side wall, and put a prep sink on the corner of the island that is closest to the stove and fridge (Bottom left).

I wouldn't want my dirty dishes gathering in the middle of the room, plus having to do prep and breakfast over and around them. Additionally, you have a drop off on one side of the sink, which will mean dropping things and splashes on the floor where the cook can slip.

9 ft will likely be pretty tight for a dining room. Most dining room tables are 42" and that leaves only 33" around the table. With people seated, it'll be difficult to get around the table at all.

You are not over-thinking. NOW is the time to be critical and really think and think and redraw and redraw until you are comfortable that your plan is the best it can be and will work as you envision.

o
RE: Help! Kitchen Layout Suggestions/Feedback

Thanks so much! Great suggestions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here