Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show your exposed hinges (please)

Posted by deedles (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 22:38

Anyone with exposed hinges, would you show a pic? Never even thought about not having hidden hinges but now I've read a few older threads about them taking up cab shelf space and I'm rethinking the whole thing.

Maybe also a comment about why you picked them over hidden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show your exposed hinges (please)

Here are my exposed hinges. The house was built 29 years ago. The house is colonial and I guess they just went with the style. The kitchen has been updated with granite, etc, but cabinets are original. And yes, they are oak, but a medium brown stain, not golden oak. I still like them.

o

I don't have any pictures as I am just picking out cabinets myself. However, read AGK2003's thread "Inset vs overlay cabinets". Jakuvall gives a great detailed explanation of the advantages and disadvantages of both exposed and hidden hinges.

o

here is mine
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

o

jstell2008: The cabs we're having built are white oak. I think your cabinets are lovely. Thanks for the pic!

Sherry10: good luck to you picking out your cabs! It can seem impossible at times. I think that thread is one that I read that got me thinking but I'll make sure. Thanks..

phorbin: Thank you for the pic. Guessing you went with exposed hinges for the look with your inset cabs? Love the little niche above your stove, btw.

o

I don't find the hinges to be an issue. If you had a tall glass right against the side of the cabinet, then yes, but chances are you're not going to pack them in that tight. What I do remember is my mother cleaning the hinges periodically on our 1955 kitchen. Even though we had less than 10 cabinets, the last thing she needed was another chore.

o

duplicate

This post was edited by may_flowers on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 15:38

o

Phorbin--do you have other pictures of your kitchen? Very nice.

o

Here is a link will try to post some up dated pics later

Here is a link that might be useful: phorbin kitchen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here