Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with kitchen remodel removing wall and all cabinets

Posted by teeboo (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 22:33

Okay this is layout of area. I have everything written on the photo but I will recount on this email.
1. The side of the pantry shown is facing the front door as seen from drawing. Should I turn facing front door using a cabinet and shelves above with mirrors behind to make a focal point when entering and not feel as though looking straight into a kitchen? Please remember the dimensions and taking down wall between lr and kitchen.
2. Refrigerator cabinet - would it look better to have closed cabinet above or open for display area?

3 and 5: Should these cabinets have a 12" open space above for display and the splash of color since everything is white with old red pine floors? Will send picture so you can see floors. They are gorgeous.

6: Should I put trash compactor here with pull out spice rack or cabinet with drawer?

9: Should I put trash compactor or trash can here or stack of drawers?

11: Floor space is limited so should I use a 33" sink base or a 36" sink base? Cabinet builder wants me to use 36" but all I use a sink base for is to store detergents and kitchen cleaners.

12: Would this be the best place for this trash compactor or trash can? As you can tell, I am at a lose as to where to put trash.
If do not put trash here, could have 24 to 27 inch stack of drawers. What do you suggest?

With this arrangement, I have 40" clearance on each end of the island.

Beside the laundry room door (your picture shows dark door, should I put the pantry if move from beside refrigerator or cabinet with mirrored back or just leave empty as shown? I feel like the island looks like it is overpowering the room since it extends beyond original kitchen wall. If use cabinet or pantry in this location, should I put open shelf above door to connect the cabinets to make it look more like a galley kitchen?

I am using white cabinets which can be distressed or left all white. (What do you think?)

I am using white appliances because I like them and do not like stainless.

I have looked at bianco ramano granite which has raspberry, gray in it. Any suggestions? I plan to use all white because I think that it will allow the eyes to flow in this small space rather than stop. Was even thinking about no upper cabinet doors but reconsidered that thought.

I like the blue green glass tiles but think mirrors would allow people dining at island to view the water rather than look at a kitchen. Suggestions here?????

This is not in stone and if you have better layout plan, please let me know. I am open to any and all suggestions. You can see the dimensions. Plan to use an antique (which will be distressed) fold up card table in lr between 2 chairs that can open to 4 top table in case people prefer to sit at table to dine, play cards or work on a puzzle as this is a weekly rental.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with kitchen remodel removing wall and all cabinets

This picture shows the kitchen as it is now. The door that is open goes into the laundry/br/bathroom area of cottage. This is the area that concerns me as I feel like the island goes past this door and I need something on this wall to tie the original kitchen location together. Galley kitchen style.

Got the price to relocate outside door - cost prohibitive as well as move laundry room door.

o

This photo shows heart pine floors which will remain, 54" opening between kitchen and living room wall. This opening will become 36" when remodel. Also shows some of wall between living room and kitchen which will be removed. Hope these pictures help and you can give me some great advice. Thanks in advance for your replies. Jenn

o

Now I am showing kitchen layout with cabinet and open shelves turned toward front door. Would have mirrors behind to capture view.

I also show the pantry to the left of laundry room door. Would you have pantry built with 3 drawers below, pull out shelves behind closed door and above this door a 12" open shelf or a traditional top door cabinet?

Would you put an open shelf running above door to laundry room to connect the pantry with cabinets?

If put open shelf above laundry room door, would you leave open shelves to right and left of stove or close in with cabinet doors?

Would definitely want to leave open cabinet above 30" cabinet beside the refrigerator.

Still trying to decide where to put the trash can.... Any suggestions????

Thanks, Jenn

o

Just showing a different perspective of kitchen layout. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Still planning on white cabinets, bianco granite, blue walls with raspberry accent. Thinking about using mirrors for my back splash. Any comments? This is on the creek at the beach so want water feel...

Or do you think that I need a colored granite? Any suggestions? Or since this is a rental do you have any other suggestions for counter top that would be durable but not outrageously expensive????

Thanks, Jenn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here