Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckrogers_gw

any thoughts on this quartzite for a large island?

buckrogers
10 years ago

kitchen is basically off-white shaker with va mist perimeter, though this would go on black island cabinets. prep sink goes in the upper right corner, seats at the bottom.

Comments (40)

• Lisa
    10 years ago

I absolutely love it! It's exactly what I'm looking for. I am doing white perimeter cabinets and a black island as well. The closest I could find to this is superwhite. What is it called? It's not too busy and looks very expensive!

• buckrogers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks, lcskaisgir. the wholesaler calls it 'Nuage' and says it's Brazilian. I haven't been able to find anything with that name, or any quartzite pictures that look like it so far. this is near DC if you live in the area.

• sedona_heaven
    10 years ago

I love quartzite, now have it in both first and second home. It's very hard, and beautiful to my eye.

• Mags438
    10 years ago

I think it's beautiful. Same type kitchen plans here too!

• texaspenny
    10 years ago

Another vote for yes! It is very striking. Make sure you know where they are templating for the island so you can get the parts you like best.

• SaltLife631
    10 years ago

Very striking piece of stone. This quartzite would make an eye catching statement as the centerpiece of your kitchen. It should be the star of the show. I look forward to seeing your project progress...Good luck!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

It's stunning--do it!

• buckrogers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks for the input folks. trying to find a marble alternative.

• nightowlrn
    10 years ago

Beautiful !!!!

• rubyclaire
    10 years ago

Island envy! Simply gorgeous...

• Lisa
    10 years ago

OOOOOOOHHHHHH that is gorgeous!!! A real show stopper. I made my decision last night for cabinets and countertops and now you've got me second guessing it!! What did you use for the backsplash?

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

That is just gorgeous! Love the piece of stone on your island.
    Two questions if you don't mind. What stain did you use on your floors, and what cabinet hardware are you going with?

• jesshs
    10 years ago

Wonderful kitchen. I am loving all your storage. Especially your stacked upper cabinets and that whole wall thing on the left side of the picture.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

That is gorgeous! Your whole kitchen is gorgeous! Please post when complete so we can use it as inspiration! Thanks for sharing.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Beautiful! The whole kitchen looks great! Looking forward to your reveal!

• agk2003
    10 years ago

stunning! would love to see more pictures as your work progresses and all the details!

• kaysd
    10 years ago

Wow, that is just gorgeous -- the island and all the rest. I also would like to know what tile you used for the BS.

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

Very nice! If you have time to stop back and answer - what countertop is on your perimeter? They go very well together. Also - what is your backsplash?

You need to post a full reveal with details. :) This teeny glimpse is not enough!

• buckrogers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks everyone. the backsplash is Waterworks Architectonics 3x6 field tile in Icewater, and the floor is refinished red oak that was water popped and stained with Jacobean. The cabinet pulls are likely going to be the Alno Charlie A726 for everything but the top row of doors, which get a shaker knob that I can't find right now, all in chrome. Perimeter counters are Virginia Mist honed, island countertop is Nuage quartzite, cabinets are Decora. Sinks and the bar + prep faucets are Ruvati, main faucet is Kraus, all from Overstock. Thermador 30" columns and 48" range, Bosch dishwasher, Sharp microwave drawer. Hope that helps.

This post was edited by buckrogers on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 12:21

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Buck:
    It's fabulous! The island is definitely a wow factor for your kitchen :)

• threegraces
    10 years ago

Love it, love it. I'm jealous!

• HammerMom
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I would love to see more pictures, especially of the perimeter and backsplash!

• tjoy
    10 years ago

Hi I have a slab of this gorgeous quartzite on hold for me unfortunately they do not have a sample for me to test I'm wondering if you have any issues with it scratching or etching?

• carree
    10 years ago

I have quartzite and live it. It has been a few months of really easy maintenance. I polish it regularly because it is so satisfying. Good luck with selecting yours.

• mom2samlibby
    10 years ago

GORGEOUS! Love the quartzite!

• Mags438
    10 years ago

It's beautiful!

• firstmmo
    10 years ago

Any more pics for us to drool over?

• lindarkur
    8 years ago

buckrogers, would you still recommend the Nuage quartzite? Any scratches, staining and/or etching issues? I have a Nuage on hold at a stoneyard, but no one has a sample for me to "play" with. Thanks!

• buckrogers
    8 years ago

100% lindarkur. It's held up far better than the honed Va Mist on the perimeter, and still looks brand new.

• lindarkur
    8 years ago

Super! Thank you. I've made my decision then.

I will be using this Nuage for my island, and a mostly grey Taj Mahal for more my perimeter.

• ccmaddie
    8 years ago

one drop of lemon juice or anything acidic eats thru the resin on quartzite and leaves a bad etch mark. always take a sample home and put drops of water, lemon juice and red wine or vinegar on overnite and see what happens before purchasing!

• buckrogers
    8 years ago

I don't believe this is the case with nuage. The fabricators went through 3 saw blades cutting it to size, and my wife has left limes and various staining liquids on it with zero etching. This stone is like diamond, and we've never had to reseal it.

• perky_2
    8 years ago

We have not been able to hurt our Quartzite - Taj Mahal. I have really worked it over - so far so good (5 months with MANY messy meals cooked on it.)

• karin_mt
    8 years ago

ccmadie,

You're partially right, but only because quartzite and marble are thoroughly mixed up in the decorative stone industry. Real quartzite won't etch. If something labeled as quartzite etches, then it has been miscategorized, which is common. Your advice is therefore quite correct: Always get a sample of quartzite to bring home and test.

So nice to hear of instances where it all works out beautifully though! Nuage is a stunner.

• lindarkur
    8 years ago

Thanks for the advice, ccmadie. I did a lot of tests on stones a year ago for another project and discovered that yes, some stones labeled quartzite have calcium in them and therefore, etch. (Super White, New Super White, Monte Blanc, Fantasy White). Very misleading. Nuage is a new stone I have not seen a lot of.

I did do tests (overnight) on the current stones I'm considering: lemon, balsamic vinegar, wine, coffee, fantastic w/vinegar, smashed strawberry, white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, tap water, and food coloring - all the things that don't hurt my current dark granite. I also tried to scratch them with a steak knife. Nothing, except the tip of my knife was bent. I went back yesterday to look at the nuage again. The salesperson took his car keys and we both tried to scratch it. We then went to another stone that I've seen labeled granite (a fusion type) and we both could gouge it.

One definitely has to be an educated consumer!

• kelleg69
    8 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. Great choices.

• Pj
    5 years ago

Thinking of this too - any thoughts - too busy with this backsplash? Love both, just not entirely sue they can go together.

• Sarah Campbell
    4 years ago

Buckgoers can you give an update on your Nuage counter tops as far as etching, scratching or staining?

• Marguerite Mastromatto
    3 years ago

I saw this stone several weeks ago and it was called Naida Quartzite and it looked a bit taupe/cream with a bit of celadon/greenish. I just came from another stone center, and it was labeled Nuage. On a different thread, someone said this stone is at Daltile called Tahitian Cream. I checked and it looks like Nuage. OMG - shopping for stones is crazy. Can someone who actually has it let me know if it gives off a little taupe/cream/celadon?